Who are your favorite musical artists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombatwarlord777

"...What?"
I suppose I've been trying to... expand my musical horizons lately, for a lack of a better term, and I think you guys might be able to help. I've recently been enjoying DJ Shadow, whose Endtroducing was introduced to me by the discussion facilitated by Bigboi in the Colosseum. So, what artists do you like?

My musical tastes... Are all over the place, frankly. Boards of Canada is some pretty good, if at times terrifying electronica. The Gorillaz have always been a favorite of mine, so I'm especially glad that Plastic Beach was released a couple of months back. In particular, though, I really like Feel Good Inc. and O Green World from their Demon Dayz album, not to mention We Are The Happy Landfill. Regina Spektor is an incredibly talented vocalist, whose Apres Moi, Edit, and Us are personal favorites.

I have more artists I like, and I might post some of them later. But, who do you guys like?

Last edited:
To put it simply, I am a Rock-head. I love Five Finger Death Punch, Three Days Grace, Saliva, Black Sabbath, HollyWood Undead, Avenged SevenFold, and Fireball Ministry.

I've sort of been stuck with VOCALOID for about 4 years, which I guess is alright because the genres of music varies so much. For the artists that use the vocaloids in the first place, my favorites are Yuyoyupe, DECO*27, Hachi and Sonic Wave.

Besides that, I've been into the Sonic crap and started listening to some more Julien-K, Crush 40 and Bentley Jones.
...And this is EASILY a guilty pleasure for me, but Gaga has easily invaded my playlists.

Hey, I happen to like Lady Gaga too. The only song of hers I currently have on my main playlist is Bad Romance (which I really like), but I haven't yet listened to any of her non-radio releases.

HollyWood Undead
Everywhere I Go by Hollywood Undead said:
Everywhere I go bitches always know
That Charlie Scene has got a weenie that he loves to show
Oh yeah, I remember, they were awesome! Just about as awesome as this.
Oh wait, you actually listen to this?

So anyway, I've recently been getting into a band called Agalloch. Atmospheric Folk/Black/whatever Metal from Portland, Oregon. Check out this one (demo version because Youtube blocks all the copyright violating stuff in Germany). I've also finally bought Moving Pictures by Rush today, after being in love with it for quite some time.

Otherwise, I listen to a pretty wide range of stuff. The aforementioned DJ Shadow is awesome, and other favorites of mine include Mahavishnu Orchestra, Miles Davis, Sonic Youth, Death, Atheist, Genesis, Yes, Frank Zappa... I could go on forever. Mostly extreme metal, jazz fusion, prog rock and anything that's not just your regular music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV8N44HzfBQ

I don't really have favorite artists/genres...I just listen to individual songs that I like. I do enjoy Yasunori Mitsuda's music a lot, as well as several classical composers. I also love Kawai Eri's singing.

Chao Freak 1 said:
...And this is EASILY a guilty pleasure for me, but Gaga has easily invaded my playlists.

That's the guilty pleasure?

I've recently been enjoying DJ Shadow, whose Endtroducing was introduced to me by the discussion facilitated by Bigboi in the Colosseum. So, what artists do you like?

Isn't it (for lack of better words, of course) the greatest shit ever?

Anyway, here's a bunch of shit I've been listening to. I'm gonna unload a bunch of stuff because I listen to a ton of music. Mostly (fuck it, I'm not gonna lie: probably all) rap, but as long as you're not a close-minded dickhead, it should at least keep your attention.

MF DOOM is quickly becoming one of my favorite MCs. He's a rapper/producer that wears a Doctor Doom mask, which nobody's really seen him without. His stuff with the producer Madlib (known together as Madvillian) is really, really, really good. His solo stuff isn't bad either.

Like SpiritCrusher, Sonic Youth is one of the mainstays in my playlist, with this being one of my favorite songs of all time.

Massive Attack's another group I love. I can't really define them genre-wise, as they tend to be all over the place. Most people group them in with trip-hop, but that's a little too general. Here's some songs!

Like Wombatwarlord, I listen to Gorillaz, but they seem to get worse as they go along. The first album was amazing, the second album, Demon Days (produced by Danger Mouse, who also did an album with MF DOOM, who in turn is featured on this album as well) was great but not quite as creative as the first, and Plastic Beach, well, the first fifteen seconds of this song made me stop listening, lest I grew a vagina. I mean, there are some decent songs on there, but it just feels fruity. More power to you if you like it, but it's just not my thing.

I've also been completely hooked on De La Soul's fourth album, Stakes is High. Even though it was made almost 15 years ago, its apprehensive attitude toward how hip-hop was (and still is) evolving (the prime example being the title track) is still prevalent today. The production and wordplay is top-notch on each track, too.

Here's where I'd say I'd probably add more stuff to this post later, but I already posted a bunch of links I doubt most of you are going to check out, so eh. But If anyone wants more of my wonderful opinion, lemme know.

I have many ¨listen to¨ artists, but here are some of the best albums out there (or at least for me) Also, even if you don´t speak spanish, you don´t need to understand a song to enjoy the rythim (99 Luftballons is the best example of this):
9.jpg

419B0Q2FRSL.jpg

Aerosmith%2B-%2BO%2BYeah%21%2BUltimate%2BAerosmith%2BHits%2B2CD%2B%40320Kbps.jpg

black-eyed-peas-elephunk.jpg

bep-the-end-475x475.jpg

1231074309163_f.jpg

album-origin-of-symmetry.jpg

Just....this, really.

I really like Muse. I honestly don't know why. It wasn't Guitar Hero and it wasn't Twilight, of course. I just like them.

Like SpiritCrusher, Sonic Youth is one of the mainstays in my playlist, with this being one of my favorite songs of all time.
I HATE GERMAN YOUTUBE! So, uh, I googled it, it's Cross The Breeze, right? I'm quite impressed by their new album, actually, how do these guys manage to be so consistently awesome?

Like Wombatwarlord, I listen to Gorillaz, but they seem to get worse as they go along. The first album was amazing, the second album, Demon Days (produced by Danger Mouse, who also did an album with MF DOOM, who in turn is featured on this album as well) was great but not quite as creative as the first, and Plastic Beach, well, the first fifteen seconds of this song made me stop listening, lest I grew a vagina. I mean, there are some decent songs on there, but it just feels fruity. More power to you if you like it, but it's just not my thing.
I dunno, Gorillaz were always quite hit-or-miss for me. Rhinestone Eyes is actually one of my favorite songs on Plastic Beach (although it loses to Sweepstakes big time). Plastic Beach is a bit of a mixed bag, but there's some cool stuff on it. And since that's kinda what I thought about every other album too, no letdown for me.

Now excuse while I take a shot at Madvillian (and probably some of the other stuff you listed too).

EDIT: And it's awesome. Like, really awesome. Maybe it's just the hilarious German sample in "Papermill", but I really dig this.

Also, even if you don´t speak spanish, you don´t need to understand a song to enjoy the rythim (99 Luftballons is the best example of this)
Trust me, you'd hate 99 Luftballons if you spoke German. It's pathetic. Oh, and what do you enjoy so much about the rhythm of that song? I mean, the melody, sure, but the rhythm is nothing special at all.

Last edited:
I HATE GERMAN YOUTUBE! So, uh, I googled it, it's Cross The Breeze, right? I'm quite impressed by their new album, actually, how do these guys manage to be so consistently awesome?

I dunno, but they somehow manage to keep it going even after all these years. They're all 50 except for their drummer, and Kim Gordon's pushing 60, and when I saw SY in concert last year (where they played all of their newest album and some classics to boot), they looked great and tore shit up at the show, too.

EDIT: And it's awesome. Like, really awesome. Maybe it's just the hilarious German sample in "Papermill", but I really dig this.

What's he saying in the sample? All I can make out of it is "morning," and I don't even know if that's right.

I dunno, but they somehow manage to keep it going even after all these years. They're all 50 except for their drummer, and Kim Gordon's pushing 60, and when I saw SY in concert last year (where they played all of their newest album and some classics to boot), they looked great and tore shit up at the show, too.
I saw a few live videos on Youtube that just go to confirm that. I have no idea how they get away with a song like "Anti-Orgasm" in their age, but hell, it works.

What's he saying in the sample? All I can make out of it is "morning," and I don't even know if that's right.
"Nur nicht heut' oder morgen" (Just not today or tomorrow), "wird es schon gehen" ("That'll go off all right", as online dictionaries told me :S) "irgendwann" (someday), "man wird sehen" (we'll see)

At first I didn't even notice that it's German.

I am German-native, and I still didn't understand a word at first. Then I heard the "irgendwann" and it clicked.

Heh. I just heard the song that was sampled, and it's completely understandable. Madlib seems to have a knack for quirky samples that you'd never expect to work.

Well, even if the majority of the bands/artists that I like aren't americans(or of some other places like Europe), I'll say the bands/artists names here:

Skank
Los Hermanos
Paralamas do Sucesso
Titãs
Claudia Leitte
Ivete Sangalo
Engenheiros do Hawai
Beyonce
Lady Gaga
The Black Eyed Peas

And these are some of the bands that I like. And nothing more to say.

Nightwish
Maroon 5
Kanye West
Evanescence
Ok Go
Linkin Park - My Favorite!
B.o.B
Nickleback
Fireflight
Within Temptation
Eminem
Fall Out Boy
Bowling For Soup
Lady Gaga
Rihanna
Daddy Yankee
There ya go.

Heh. I just heard the song that was sampled, and it's completely understandable. Madlib seems to have a knack for quirky samples that you'd never expect to work.
That's not actually the sampled song. It doesn't even feature the sampled lyrics, not to mention the guitar line singalong.

Hmm. I'm gonna have to be on the lookout for the actual sample, then. Also, Adult Swim used Papermill as the music for one of their bumps tonight. Kinda surprised me, even though the single was released on adultswim.com.

EDIT: God damn, nobody can do it like J Dilla.

Last edited:
The must-be-mentioned is Divine, but I like a wide variety of music ranging from even some mainstream modern stuff (Particularly Lady Gaga) to 80s disco and Hi-NRG to Baroque to even some Death Metal, as well as numerous other genres. It may be easier for me to post the contents of my phone sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back