SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Off-Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2005   #1
Digiku
Developer
Default Next-Gen Sonic Announced

Article: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09...s_6132842.html
Screenshots: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/acti...reenindex.html

Just ever so soon after the Sonic Riders announcement, Sega announces "Sonic the Hedgehog" for PS3 and 360 (no Revolution thus far, sorry!) for release in 2006.

According to Sega, Naka will "create the most intense sensation of speed ever experienced in videogames" with "an innovative combination of art, physics and game design."

"We are proud to re-create our famous friend, Sonic, for a new generation of gamers on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360," said Naka. "With Sonic the Hedgehog, we have gone back to our starting point, more than 15-years ago, to reinvent the attitude and speed that made our hero a legend. The 'rebirth of Sonic' will offer an unparalleled sense of speed that is only possible using the processing power afforded by the new systems."
- Gamespot

And looking at the screenshots, I think I actually believe them this time! They look ace... even though they're really direct feed shots from the trailer :P

In my opinion, if the game ends up looking (and playing) like that, they've got my sale. Then again, it's too early to see if Naka's learned his lesson. I'll keep watching this.
Digiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #2
Bigboi

TOLD YOU!
Old 09-09-2005   #3
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/acti...ns.html?page=4

If that is what the entire game plays like, I am so sold on it...after I get next-gen in a few years, of course.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #4
Blue Blur

If those screenshots are real, as you said, Digi, then I am buying the 360 if possible. Sonic has his original shoes! That's one of my pet peeves with the older new games, all the characters have those moronically complex shoes.

http://triggerpoint.comicgenesis.com

^My comic. Space and war. Fun!
Blue Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #5
SSNTails
What part of 'RETIRED' don't you understand?

I'm still skeptical, only because it looks like they're only rewinding 2 years, to Sonic X. Sonic bashing a billion Star Wars droid-looking robots as a DBZ-esque Super Sonic isn't something old. Probably the closest 'old' thing it compares to is SatAM.

Eggman would never consider him to be such a big threat as to use that many robots. And conversely (inversely?) Sonic really ISN'T that big of a threat to him. Think about it. How would he be able to build huge bases and ships, etc. if Sonic just blew down everything in his path?

I think a very good quality to a hero is their limitations... and for a very long time, Sonic has been considered invincible.
SSNTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #6
JetKrazy

wow... That looks awesome, though it also looks like it has a classicy look to it. The level colors are kinda blant and dark though, not like the classics
JetKrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #7
Spazzo
Permanently Banned

HOLY. CRAP.
THIS IS AWSOME!
Spazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #8
Omega the Hedgehog

He still has his new shoes AND eyes? Awesome.

Ironically, only 2 or three of the Xbox360 and PS3 titles that have been announced so far have also been announced for the Revolution. It's the N64 all over again...
Omega the Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #9
Digiku
Developer

This is only the first trailer/tech demo that was shown behind closed doors back at e3. Reading some stuff, I've heard that they didn't use the 360's full processing power. It's also rendered in real time - the grass for example is way too sharp to be in an FMV. Little graphical mishaps like that are noticeable.

So the real game might turn out to look somewhat like this, if not more detailed. Being a tech demo, I expect the ideas to grow a little different as time passes, but because Sega went through the trouble of doing screenshots of this, this could possibly be a base for their whole reinventing thing. As for gameplay, I did like what the tech demo showed - it looked simple, and that's good. It should totally be like that. I wish they'd do something about the enemies, though - they kinda' make it look too scary and sci-fiey to me.
Digiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #10
Spazzo
Permanently Banned

Regardless, what I noticed is that the only sonic character i saw, was sonic.
If it was left like that, just a classic clash of Sonic Vs. Eggman (robotnick?) robot army, that would just be brilliant.
Spazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #11
Omega the Hedgehog

Like hell it would.
Omega the Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #12
Blue Blur

I thought it was a bit too sci-fi like for a sonic game. It was a bit dark me, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

@Omega- What do you mean, the robot army fight, or the lack of other characters? If it's a remake of Genesis Sonic, which may explain the familiar looks of the levels, and they only had Sonic there, I'd love that. Even though I like Tails and Knuckles, Sonic 1 only had Sonic, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Old 09-09-2005   #13
firemario1001

What ever happened to those things called badniks? Those things are so unappreciated.
firemario1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #14
Blue Blur

I think they were scrapped because Sega wanted Sonic to have an older theme to it. Even though it didn't work, I guess they still thought Badniks were too... childish.

(BTW, don't those robot's look like SWATbot in the next-to-last pic?)

Old 09-09-2005   #15
Ritz
cornstar

The game looks good so far. As far as the gameplay goes, at least. But man, what in the world happened to the surreal checkered hills and the floating trees and the spinning flowers?

If the game looked like this, I'd buy it.

Oh, silly me, I forgot. I'd wind up buying it regardless. D:
Old 09-09-2005   #16
Bigboi

Vector, right? :roll:
Old 09-09-2005   #17
Ritz
cornstar

Yes. But mostly no.
Old 09-09-2005   #18
tails92
Permanently Banned

This game looks cool, but isn't good that it will be no available for Revolution and Linux.
tails92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #19
shadowstar

Linux? x.x
What ever gave you the idea that it would be available on Linux?
Computers right now probably aren't even close to the speeds of the 360 and the PS3.
shadowstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #20
tails92
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowstar
Linux? x.x
What ever gave you the idea that it would be available on Linux?
Computers right now probably aren't even close to the speeds of the 360 and the PS3.
PS3 and 360 have a PowerPC 64-bit processor.
Sorry, but this means that also an actual G5 Mac (that has a more fast cpu) pwns PS3 and 360.
And there are games for linux. Look at iD software.
tails92 is offline   Reply With Quote