SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Archived > Outdated Releases (2.0.X) > Outdated Official Level Design Contest (2.0.X)

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2009   #81
LightspeedX
aka PrismaticAngel
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danie View Post
ITS CALLED SPRING YARD ZONE
Spring Yard? A zone in Sonic 1 already has that name.
__________________
My YouTube
Quote:
<toaster> i love when people make videos of my stuff
<toaster> i love you lightspeed
LightspeedX is offline  
Old 09-13-2009   #82
danie
Default

well have you seen any remakes of sonic 1 like green hill zone and marble zone wads

I know I have!

(danie received a warning for this post: Use correct grammar and spelling.)

Last edited by danie; 09-13-2009 at 04:32 AM. Reason: wad
danie is offline  
Old 09-14-2009   #83
ComRante
Default





I haven't entered one of these contests for a while. This shall be fun!
ComRante is offline  
Old 09-14-2009   #84
VX501
Berufsschauspieler
 
VX501's Avatar
Default

I've had a change of plan with my Single Player entry. If I finish it, I'll be entering this, Act 2 of Battle Fleet Zone.






Ah, springing around in the 2D mode. How sweet it is!


I'll have that corner fixed by the time it's finished.
VX501 is offline  
Old 09-14-2009   #85
Little Djermy
Rawr!
 
Little Djermy's Avatar
Default

I'll enjoy taking that challenge, Glaber. It really looks like the entries are heating up. Hopefully, the levels live up to the promise that they are showing.
__________________
I really hate ponies.
Djermy's Converted Levels Archive.
Little Djermy is offline  
Old 09-14-2009   #86
Blade
ANNIHILATE.
Developer
 
Blade's Avatar
Default

Oh, look, custom textures.



__________________
MERRY EGGS-MAS 2012 EVERYONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawfulfan
Linedef Type 451 - Linedef Executor: Make Level 20% Cooler!
Quote:
Blade was hit by Inuyasha.
<Blade> osuwari
Inuyasha is no longer super.
Blade is offline  
Old 09-15-2009   #87
Gemini Spark
The EX version
 
Gemini Spark's Avatar
Default

Is it a level meant to rival Egg Rock?
__________________
Visual Basic is the language of people who want to create stuff out of nothing and then point that stuff to nothing so that nothing gets done.
Java... well, it can make Coffee objects at a rate of order n, but I don't drink coffee... Eclipse ftw!
Gemini Spark is offline  
Old 09-15-2009   #88
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher
Moderator
 
MascaraSnake's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Spark View Post
Is it a level meant to rival Egg Rock?
It's Death Egg Zone from his mod Lost Worlds.

Also, Glaber, I still don't see a reason why you should release this to a contest. It is a bad stage and you know that since it's intentional. Just make it a wiki reference wad as said in the description. And if it's nearly as horrible as you said, you'll get a 0 from me for being unplayable.
MascaraSnake is offline  
Old 09-15-2009   #89
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready
 
glaber's Avatar
Default

It will be playable.
__________________
SRB2TP (The Past) 1.08 Now Avaiable
Why wouldn't you glide and climb as Super Knuckles?
glaber is offline  
Old 09-15-2009   #90
Fawfulfan
The Tortured Planet guy
 
Fawfulfan's Avatar
Default

I think a good rule of thumb should be to only use the name from an original Sonic zone if you're planning to actually base the level off said zone. That looks NOTHING like SYZ.
__________________
Just another indie game developer...check out my website, Chapman Games!
Fawfulfan is offline  
Old 09-15-2009   #91
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher
Moderator
 
MascaraSnake's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaber View Post
It will be playable.
Yes, but it will be as bad as it possibly gets. No will WANT to play it. If I understand you right, it's not meant to be played. It's meant as "Don't do what I did"-type of level and that's as good as unplayable.
MascaraSnake is offline  
Old 09-15-2009   #92
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready
 
glaber's Avatar
Default

It suppose to be more of a "don't bring these gimmicks back" stage. That includes 2.0's SS7's gimmick of you either get squished, or you fall off and lose the emerald
__________________
SRB2TP (The Past) 1.08 Now Avaiable
Why wouldn't you glide and climb as Super Knuckles?
glaber is offline  
Old 09-15-2009   #93
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes
 
CobaltBW's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaber View Post
It suppose to be more of a "don't bring these gimmicks back" stage.
If I understand this correctly, you're saying you implemented intentionally bad gimmicks in this stage.

How about giving us something we want to play instead?
__________________
~CobaltBW

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline  
Old 09-15-2009   #94
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready
 
glaber's Avatar
Default

I'm starting to think a video would explain things better than words.
__________________
SRB2TP (The Past) 1.08 Now Avaiable
Why wouldn't you glide and climb as Super Knuckles?

Last edited by glaber; 09-15-2009 at 09:42 PM.
glaber is offline  
Old 09-15-2009   #95
Fawfulfan
The Tortured Planet guy
 
Fawfulfan's Avatar
Default

Glaber, I thought you learned your lesson about making Special Stages. You could be the best mapmaker in the world, and everyone would hate your stage. There's just no need for new Special Stages. On any level.
__________________
Just another indie game developer...check out my website, Chapman Games!
Fawfulfan is offline  
Old 09-15-2009   #96
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready
 
glaber's Avatar
Default

Fine, Screw it. I'm pulling the level from any release.
__________________
SRB2TP (The Past) 1.08 Now Avaiable
Why wouldn't you glide and climb as Super Knuckles?
glaber is offline  
Old 09-15-2009   #97
Spazzo
Permanently Banned
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaber View Post
It suppose to be more of a "don't bring these gimmicks back" stage.
We really don't care, and this has been going on long enough that I need to post about it.

We know you're trying to prove some sort of arbitrary point, but that's not what the contest is for. It's for getting feedback on levels you actually put effort into, and to participate in a little friendly competition.

We don't NEED a CONTEST LEVEL of all things to teach us how not to make special stages. For one, special stages aren't explicitly listed as a viable category in the contest to start with. You need to stop revolving around your precious "glaber syndrome" (which is a negative form of attention, in case that wasn't made obvious already), and start making maps people will want to play in a contest.

The fact that you made a Wiki article for this is pretty absurd, too. I'd like to personally give you a heads-up that it doesn't need one.

Last edited by Spazzo; 09-15-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Spazzo is offline  
Old 09-15-2009   #98
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator
 
Mystic's Avatar
Default

The objective of the contest is to try to make an entry to get the BEST score possible, not the WORST score possible, Glaber. It's not an outlet for your personal rants and it's not a place to post intentionally bad stages.
Mystic is offline  
Old 09-15-2009   #99
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready
 
glaber's Avatar
Default

Precious?! PRECIOUS!? You think I LIKE that Smegging Syndrome still!? That syndrome was partly fed by the community too you know!

The whole reason I even bothered with the wiki article was because of Doom World's article on 1994 levels. The GS article is gone now. For a time I was practically tricked into thinking that the Syndrome's label only applied to ports because nobody told me otherwise.

Right now I really don't care if you ignore me, Ban me, or what ever. I'm just really upset right now and need to cool off before I make things any worse than this post does.

PS: I'm still entering Icicle Warehouse if anybody cares.
__________________
SRB2TP (The Past) 1.08 Now Avaiable
Why wouldn't you glide and climb as Super Knuckles?
glaber is offline  
Old 09-15-2009   #100
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator
 
Mystic's Avatar
Default

Look, Glaber, up until now this hasn't been intended to be taken personally, but since you're going to take it personally no matter what I do or say, this will be a rather blunt post, so I want you to LISTEN to what I'm telling you because it's clear something is causing a disconnect:

Your maps are bad. This is "glaber syndrome". It is not something to be proud of, and it's not something you of all people should repeat. There could be any number of reasons for this, I'm not going to wager a guess as to why you keep making bad maps, but there are a couple of things that you keep doing that CERTAINLY don't help matters:

1. You make maps to "make a point", despite the fact that nobody cares. You've whined about SS7 already, we get it. We don't care that you think it's too hard, it was made that hard ON PURPOSE and I knew how hard it was when I put it into the game. Making a stage with intentionally bad design on purpose, pulling off of some of the worst special stages we ever made to try to make your stage even worse, does NOT help your point. In fact it just makes you look like an idiot because of the absurdity of the thought process: "I don't like this gimmick, so I'll make a REALLY bad stage to prove how bad it is". This is just a completely laughable argument. Stop doing this or we'll start calling it trolling and ban you.
2. You make stages that try to use some idea that you think is "clever", but turns out to be incredibly awful in practice. Your ports all fall under this problem. Just because a gameplay idea works in one game does not mean it'll work in SRB2, and when you force it into the game you end up with god-awful results. I don't think I need to point to an example from this, because almost all of your stages do this, but here's the solution to this: Do not try to be "clever" and change the formula until you understand the formula to begin with. SRB2 has a specific gameplay style. We change this style occasionally for variety, but the gameplay basically stays intact. Before you change the style for variety, please make some successful maps that use the basic SRB2 design, for the love of god.

There are plenty of ways to fix your maps, but I'd say the number one, most important thing you need to do is look at the official maps and try to emulate the style. WHY does Greenflower Zone Act 2 work? WHY does Jade Valley Zone work? Why doesn't YOUR stage? If you can answer those questions you will be far closer to actually making decent maps. Stop trying to make a point and stop trying to be overly clever. It doesn't work and it just means you make ANOTHER god-awful map that continues the Glaber Syndrome and continues your streak of making some of the worst levels ever made for SRB2.

Now let's end this stupid drama and go back to the POINT of this topic: Posting WIP screenshots.

Last edited by Mystic; 09-15-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Mystic is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OpenGL Discussion Topic frozenLake SRB2 Discussion 17 06-29-2010 11:28 AM
Osu! Discussion Latius General Discussion 11 01-03-2010 10:55 PM
Stuff to put in SRB2ME (DISCUSSION TOPIC) SRB2-Playah SRB2 Forum Archives 772 07-01-2009 06:04 AM
Castlevania Discussion Lance88 Video Games 3 02-03-2009 07:32 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.