[RUMOR]New Sonic game unveiled in Febuary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it hilarious how someone has already concluded in the comments section that the game is going to suck. By mere rumors.

Anyways, sounds interesting, there hasn't really been much focus on different playable characters in a Sonic game since Unleashed (not counting Classic Sonic in generations).

I'm kind of disappointed that they're still going with the same Generations/Unleashed-style of gameplay though. I thought someone at Sega mentioned that they wanted to go for a new style of gameplay in the next "real" Sonic game.

Still though, these are rumors, so I'll just take them with a grain of salt.

Anyways, sounds interesting, there hasn't really been much focus on different playable characters in a Sonic game since Unleashed (not counting Classic Sonic in generations).

I'm kind of disappointed that they're still going with the same Generations/Unleashed-style of gameplay though. I thought someone at Sega mentioned that they wanted to go for a new style of gameplay in the next "real" Sonic game.

I don't know. The gameplay of the two games seems like the best thing for Sonic, but with the idea of unlockable characters, I'm not so sure. The current gameplay, as I said, is good for Sonic, but that's about it. It also works for Shadow, when you look back to the boss battles of Generations, but how would this work with someone like Tails? Unless they plan to return to some Genesis roots, where everyone was pretty much just as fast as Sonic, there's a lot to wonder here.

The website said:
The game is also rumored to have at least 20 different stages, not including boss battles. In addition, these courses won’t be following a linear path as seen in previous iterations. Split into multiple paths, players can choose their own method of reaching the end goal, with their decision influencing later stages. Whatever path is chosen, however, they all ultimately lead to the same final boss battle, though courses can be replayed to discover all the possible ways to navigate them.

Oh god damn it.

Okay, the amount of stages is nice, but how in the hell are we supposed to understand the pathing of levels?

When I first read that, I was under the impression that they'd pull another Shadow The Hedgehog. Now I can see they're taking the freedoms that you saw from Generations (see Chemical Plant Zone and City Escape) and making it to where that changes the game up a bit. I like that they're going for dynamics, but exactly how is that going to work? I guess we'll see eventually.

As long as they keep going in the direction they've been going while trying to mix things up a little more, I'm happy.

The game is also rumored to have at least 20 different stages, not including boss battles. In addition, these courses won’t be following a linear path as seen in previous iterations. Split into multiple paths, players can choose their own method of reaching the end goal...

I think this is really interesting. Branching paths through playthroughs a la Shadow, but with different goals determining where you go instead of idiotic missions would be great. It would create an element of exploration that is more intrinsically rewarding than littered collectibles. Plus, it'd be more conductive to the games' current mechanics and level structures, which emphasize forward motion over open-world exploration.

Seeing that Sonic has been on a nostalgia kick lately, it might even be fun for the story to unfold and the aesthetics to change depending on what path you take: At one extreme, the levels are cartoonish and the plot simply details Sonic stopping Dr. Eggman's animal snatching shenanigans. And at the other end, the levels are photorealistic, and the plot is purposefully overwrought with as many demons, aliens, sickeningly-sweet dead girls, and hedgehog clones as possible.

I would have preferred a game where only Sonic was playable. Something like Sonic Colors, which I really enjoyed. Though this does sound interesting. Hopefully it won't have something as ridiculous as Sonic the Werehog, if it can even get worse than that(and it is possible). I am really curious about the levels for it as well as the music.

I actually like playing as Sonic only. Colors did a pretty good job at it, especially the fact you could've actually used what you learned during your gameplay at the Final Boss.

Branching paths within a level, like S3&K, that lead to other levels, like ShTH?
Good choice, if they manage to make alternate levels interesting enough to play as said character in order to play them.

That said, making 20 levels within 11 months is very overwhelming. Chances are, they're going to reuse the same graphics for 2 or 3 levels, or even take the same graphics from previous Sonic games, if they're wanting to keep within time.

*spits drink all over screen*

What are you THINKING? Why would you ever want less play options and content?

Well at this point, we're comfortable with just Sonic being the center of attention in the game, compared to past titles where despite being the blue hedgehog, you were a fox, 2 cats, a rabbit, a suggestive bat, two recolors, 3 bots, 3 birds, one obsessive fan girl, and an almost forgettable, yet lovable echidna. Well I guess I can also fit a croc, a chameleon and a bee in there too, but they were. . .short lived. Anyway, Sonic was basically the center of attention for these current games and it's worked out for the most part. So a game with other playable characters coming in will leave people feeling skeptical, other than the fact of 20 stages with different routes being developed in 11 months.

IMO, I would not mind this game having a small handful of characters since this sounds like it may be similar to Sonic Adventure and I'd like to see a decent game going that route again. However, that still leaves the question as to who will be in the game (besides Sonic and Tails), what will they contribute to the plot, what will they be doing in contrast to Sonic's stages, etc. But who knows. . .

Wombatwarlord777 said:
sickeningly-sweet dead girls

I'm not sure how to react to that. . .

When those play options and that content take away from development of the core game mechanics and leave the end result as a giant, convoluted mess. See: Sonic 2K6. Best to do one thing very, very well instead of many things rather badly. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Having a single character means you can tailor stages more specifically to its abilities, which makes for a tighter gameplay experience if done right. This is one of SRB2's major shortfalls: Almost the entire body of level design and platforming shown around here is based around Sonic's abilities, and are best experienced as Sonic, whereas using anyone else's abilities effectively just means circumventing gameplay more than it usually does providing new gameplay. It is exceptionally hard to design an area that provides a tight gameplay experience to all three characters.

Look at every Sonic game released starting from Adventure and released before Colors, and ask yourself that again. Also, I'm pretty skeptical about this. I mean, when they say twenty stages, do they mean twenty whole zones? I can't imagine how they'd end up making unique gimmicks and everything for twenty whole zones, honestly. Especially if the whole multiple character thing is true.

Last edited:
I hate the misconception that adding more characters ultimately means we'll get another 06. Just look at S3&K; it was a masterpiece in the level design field. Sure 10 characters sounds idiotic, but 3-4 is never bad either. Sure beats playing as just 1. Also, making games Sonic only kills any kind of multiplayer element.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back