Terraria

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahblahbal

Act 3 FTW!!
Hey, I'm um... semi-back. Anyway, I've been playing Terraria for quite some time now, and have even made a gigantic mod for it. My mod's called Terraria Avalon, and it adds over 200 new items to the game.

But back to the title. What are your opinions on this game, and what would make you want to play it if you haven't already? If you have played it, and hate/love it, why? I know I love it, though the vanilla game is a bit boring; that's why I made my mod.

Also, realistically, if you could add one thing to Terraria(and you've played the game, of course), what would it be?

I'd add balance, optimization, better sprites, and not ruin shitty features with re logic (see: invisibility).

Hey, I'm um... semi-back. Anyway, I've been playing Terraria for quite some time now, and have even made a gigantic mod for it. My mod's called Terraria Avalon, and it adds over 200 new items to the game.

The least you could do is link to it if you're talking about it.

But back to the title. What are your opinions on this game, and what would make you want to play it if you haven't already? If you have played it, and hate/love it, why? I know I love it, though the vanilla game is a bit boring; that's why I made my mod.

The game is fun for a first run, but the extremely short playtime and lack of replay value just trashes it. The update that added "Hardmode," for lack of an actual term, started it's spiral downwards by taking a billion steps back and adding only some minor features. If I hadn't played it already, I probably would have pirated it and trashed it after a while.

Also, realistically, if you could add one thing to Terraria(and you've played the game, of course), what would it be?

Nothing, I would have trashed it and started over.

I'd give the game some developers that aren't total dicks.

'Cause, you know, the best way to treat the userbase that got you off the ground is to flip them the middle finger and have the game put on consoles with extra content.

犬夜叉;730864 said:
I'd give the game some developers that aren't total dicks.

Or developers that don't fire their peers for keeping tabs on the community.

This happened. <- (link)

More specifically:
I find no joy in personal gain. I never wanted the 'fame' that came with working on Terraria. And I was concerned when I saw that many people who were my fans on there followed me here and still considered me as important. I'm just a guy who wants to make people happy. To help where I can. I was once accused of only doing the job for the money, so I admitted to not deserving such reward, and turned down my large paycheck for Terraria to prove a point that I didn't do it for the money. But in the end, even that wasn't enough to prove my convictions for my desire to make people happy. After such time, I was accused of yet another false reasoning behind my forwardness and honesty to our fans. I was fired for being 'a glory hog', a term used by Redigit that hurt me so much, it burned. I was confused by his actions, because he once valued my conviction in communicating on his and Terraria's behalf, so much he told me he envied my ability to do so. Simply put, I was fired for doing the job I was hired to do.
(This is why everyone who has more than two braincells hates redigit with the burning passion of mordor's hellfire.)

Last edited:
I'd add a non-shitty "will accept anything and bash any form of criticism" userbase that isn't in a 12-year old majority lane.

The devs also paid people to talk highly about the game on various forums and claimed copyright on all the negative reviews they could find to get them taken down, including a particularly famous joke one from TBG.

In other words, keep your money to yourself.

犬夜叉;730864 said:
'Cause, you know, the best way to treat the userbase that got you off the ground is to flip them the middle finger and have the game put on consoles with extra content.
I bet the console editions will cost more. I remember Terraria on PC being incredibly cheap so..

I have my own super cool version without the steam launcher guys. No money required!

Totally legal too (not even fucking kidding) because (not even fucking kidding) the official game (NOT EVEN. FUCKING KIDDING.) doesn't have a contract.

The devs also paid people to talk highly about the game on various forums and claimed copyright on all the negative reviews they could find to get them taken down, including a particularly famous joke one from TBG.

I know that Re-Logic took down the TBG review before, but... they took down more?

犬夜叉;730864 said:

If I recall correctly, the original developers don't have anything to do with the console version; it's being done by a completely different group of people. If that's true then it's not really their fault.

And it's not like the game is lacking content anyway. I have over 200 hours in it and still haven't reached endgame.

I've beaten the game roughly 4-ish times, and that's only because of online friends and such wanting to play it. I gave up after 2 times though, because there really isn't much replay value at all in my opinion.

If I recall correctly, the original developers don't have anything to do with the console version; it's being done by a completely different group of people. If that's true then it's not really their fault.

The same group of people offered to update the PC version along with the console release, and were refused.

It is 100% their fault.

I've beaten the game

There's a joke here, but I don't know if I can make it any funnier than it already is.

And it's not like the game is lacking content anyway. I have over 200 hours in it and still haven't reached endgame.

Holy shit. What version of Terraria do YOU have?

The game does not exceed an amount of content that would keep it from lacking. If it were an offline game standalone, then it would be fine. But as an online game, it really is inexcusable how limited the content is, regardless of your arguments. You're scoping this in such a way that you ignore all other players, and it really baffles me how people who think this way think.

The matter of the fact is that, when you've collected all the "best gear" in the game, it will look EXACTLY THE SAME as everyone else. This is a problem among many of Terraria's problems, and one that any sensible individual, or at least one that followed the game since before its release would notice. There was a point when the best armor was one of five choices, each one visually unique in its own right. The finalized game however bottlenecks this into one final set of armor, very sloppily broken up into class individuality by swapping out helmets.

This is bad game design for an online multiplayer game, because an inclination is to assure all players have their own unique experience and play choices that could stand out on its own as a viable option. As it is, every player looks nearly the same, even including vanity armor, and hell, even including character creation.

The fact of this matter also stems from a lot of the graphics in the game being downright ugly, especially when it comes to hairstyles. I've personally spent like 10 minutes in paint fixing these hairs (Image missing due to new computer, trust me on this), and I made them look far superior in every way from the default. 10 fucking minutes and I'm a better sprite artist than whatever schizophrenic chipmunk they hired.

So what we're left with is a majority of players with eyes having the same three or four hairstyles that don't look like shit, on very small and undetailed sprites. And to top this off, almost all of these players will have the same weapons on their hotbar: Excalabur, Gungir, Megashark, Crystal Storm, and Occasionally Dao of Pow.

Again, as a singleplayer experience I, and anyone who inclines to dislike Terraria, wouldn't have a problem. But multiplayer? You can have 255 players on a single server. I DARE you to come up with that many unique combinations of choices without duplication.

So you know what? I, and I'm sure many people, don't hate Terraria because it ended prematurely, or because Redigit is a dipshit. We hate Terraria because there are always people who defend it with absolutely no idea what the hell they're talking about.

Last edited:
Yeah, Terraria's graphics are pretty horrible from a spriting standpoint.
It's pillowshaded, sloppy in terms of line-art, and some of it is stolen from Final Fantasy IIRC. The animations are particularly horribly lazy too, yet it's community praises this as "retro".

Last edited:
Again, as a singleplayer experience I, and anyone who inclines to dislike Terraria, wouldn't have a problem. But multiplayer? You can have 255 players on a single server. I DARE you to come up with that many unique combinations of choices without duplication.

255 players supported in a game that has worlds that at max can support ten? That's kind of overkill considering how confined the rest of the game is. I don't even think it could handle FPS-level multiplayer player limits.

There's a joke here, but I don't know if I can make it any funnier than it already is.

I don't know, I constitute beating all of the bosses and getting to the "endgear" armor to be beating the game. And also the game doesn't have that many bosses in my opinion. They just reuse the same bosses except make them slightly more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back