Spiral Knights - A open source/cross-platform MMO (Now on steam!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flame

WR 102
logojiq.png

Like Pangya, this happens to be another MMO which seemed to catch my interests. I've been playing this a lot recently after having an invitation sent to me and a few others. It's Java based and uses Java version 1.5 or higher. In theory, any machine can play this so long as Java 1.5 or higher is installed on the system.

To briefly touch upon the game: Spiral Knights takes place on an alien planet -named Cradle- where your Knight has crash landed and awaken on. You have become stranded, but you're not alone! Several hundred of other knights have mistakenly done the same, on the exact planet in fact! you must band and work together to survive in Clockworks! Read more!

This is the first open source MMO that I've heard of and am quite thrilled over. I never thought I'd see the day where any form of MMO would become open source. By this logic, it should be a free-to-play MMO like Pangya. It is! However you can also pay for certain parts of the game that aren't required by any means. It's good to support something once in a while.

More information can be found out on Wikipedia. The Spiral Knights Wiki is also full of information too. The main website can be found here.

We have an IRC channel on irc.esper.net, #SRB2SpiralKnights. You should join the people who currently play it. We currently have 9 or so players (Some players not shown), myself included, playing this MMO. At very least, I encourage you to try this. It's a ton of fun and I've only been playing for about a month or so.

Hope to see you in Clockworks!

Discuss!

EDIT: My in-game-name is Flaame for those of whom who are wondering.

Last edited:
Open source? What is it licenced under? I think the term you're looking for is cross platform.

Spiral Knights is pretty fun. Got in a group and we all decided to take on an area that the game declares challenging (my first thought being "ooooooh big scary challenge room, oh ah what shall I do?")... it didn't go so well. We all decided that the tough rooms like that is how they make money. Everyone will deplete their energy to the point that they'll buy some more, and more, and more.

I'm a cheap bastard though, and so was the rest of my party, so we just quit.

I've played since the beta. (Sega gave out free BETA passes) I tweaked the controls a bit to my preference which made the game a lot more fun to play.

IIRC, I didn't really experience any real multiplayer but I did go through the tutorial and several dungeons. I thought it was quite fun. I just haven't been able to play it as much due to other MMOs striking my attention.
----------------
EDIT
It plays kinda like classic top view style Zelda, but is different enough to not feel like a clone. :P
Ha ha, yeah! Many people are comparing The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords to this game.
Edit 2
Damn! They reset all the accounts prior to beta. Gotta go through the tutorial again.. :)

Last edited:
I played a bit some days ago and the graphics amazed me for being a Java game.

Might look into this game some more once I can devote some time to it.

It looks pretty cool so far, the graphics are really good for a Java game. Sorry for the bump, by the way...

Newer Java games tend to use OpenGL for 3D rather than the software rendering you saw back in the 90's. LWJGL is one of the ways you can get OpenGL rendering in Java (Minecraft uses LWJGL, in fact).

Just in case you wanted an explanation.

Anyway, there is an update coming soon, apparently tomorrow, which allegedly contains an Auction House and something else which may or may not be a PvP arena. I'm eagerly awaiting it. :P
I was looking through the sound files and saw a PvP sound folder. Hopefully those sounds are in that update.

Newer Java games tend to use OpenGL for 3D rather than the software rendering you saw back in the 90's. LWJGL is one of the ways you can get OpenGL rendering in Java (Minecraft uses LWJGL, in fact).

Just in case you wanted an explanation.
Java games can also use DirectX.
Its amazing how far graphics have come for Java games. Just look at Runescape! It looked so crappy but now it runs and looks so smoothly on when you turn on OpenGL/DirectX. Same goes with Spiral Knights.

Not to start a chain of "OHAI, IMA POST MAI IN GAME NAME HERE!!! ADD ME NOWWW!!!" spam but just wanted to say I got a chance to play this now and well... I love it. If you want to add me, my IGN is Koppa

Well, just started playing the game yesterday, and I must say it's pretty great and awesome!

My in-game name is Parhelion, if you're curious.

Welp looks like Spiral Knights is now on steam. Also make sure to get your free Energy when you check your mail X3

((COUGH also looks like TF2 released a Spiral Sallet to celebrate the event...))

Alright SEGA, you win. The TF2 hat looks too good to pass up. I'm finally going to play your game for more then 2 minutes.

Now to redownload the game again because Steam is shoddy and all that

I must say, this game's quite awsome, actually. It's a shame you need to pay real money and stuff to make super good equipments. Anyone wanna add me as friend or Steam friend? My name on Metal-Rawr on Spiral Knights and Metal Rawr on Steam.

Gonna be needing buddies for a few danger zone runs ((if I can find them)). Last time I solo a zone like that, I almost lost all my energy. Second time around I was lucky and got a few good tokens and money.

If you want to get good money (crowns is the in-game currency here) and heat, the standard here is doing multiple runs of whatever gate may have the Jelly King; the Tier 2 boss. That's pretty much the standard of yielding a High enough profit to keep on playing. You just have to be careful to not die. :P

Also, I have a few Personal Messages of people asking me what my in-game-name is on Spiral Knights. My in-game-name is Flaame for those of whom who are wondering.

Tier 2's boss? Goodie, I'm just a bit of crafting away from entering that, already got the ingridients to craft the stuff... But I'm probably not gonna be ready even then :|

If you want to get good money (crowns is the in-game currency here) and heat, the standard here is doing multiple runs of whatever gate may have the Jelly King; the Tier 2 boss. That's pretty much the standard of yielding a High enough profit to keep on playing. You just have to be careful to not die. :P

Also, I have a few Personal Messages of people asking me what my in-game-name is on Spiral Knights. My in-game-name is Flaame for those of whom who are wondering.
Nope nope nope, not Jelly King, Royal Jelly. Get it right. >:U

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back