Sonic Forces

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda feel like at the beginning of forces production they wanted to go back to what made generations as good as it was, so they decided to add classic sonic back but with no real reason. Then mania was announced and then they decided to make mania link up with forces to explain why he was there from a story standpoint because to us players, they only added classic sonic because he was praised in generations for his gameplay. Even if it wasnt as good as it was in the classic days, it was miles better than sonic 4, so they probably thought "well they liked him before so why not put him back in?"

Now that mania is out and we all played and loved it, a lot of us just want a pure 3D sonic game (a good majority of us even wanted it even before forces was announced) since we all got that sweet 2D gameplay some of us have been waiting decades for. I mean come on, the last fully 3D sonic game was sonic next gen and that was 11 years ago.

In terms of the core 3D gameplay, they already shown that their too scared to make a full game with just the boost formula, so they have 3 options at this point imo:

1) Make a full game based off the boost formula (I know I JUST said that they would be too scared but if given enough feedback it could be a possibility. They could add wisp's and or another playstyle/gimick if they need to, but according to a lot of people the boost gameplay on its own is really fun. Enough to make a whole game based around it. I would be down for it if they could actually pull it off.)

2) Go back to the adventure formula (go back to hub worlds, power-ups, multiple characters, ect. Of course this leads to the infamous "sonic adventure 3" that everyone wants but no one can really agree what should be in the game. With SA2 being one of my all time favorites of course I would want to see this style back, although I'm always up for change as its, of course, not my game series and sega and sonic team can do whatever they want with sonic.)

3) Invent an all new gameplay style for sonic (I kinda doubt sega and sonic team would do this, but who knows what they might do in the future?)

Anyway I do agree that forces is kinda stuck with this bad timing because of mania (not that it doesnt make me want forces or anything) but either way I still cant wait for forces to come out given all the gameplay styles, custom hero, deeper story, ect.

Last edited:
As the description of that video says, it's an add-on (DLC). Don't worry, though, the offical Tumblr post about it (and probably other places too) says it's going to be free.

Here's what the official Tumblr post about it says, with the very relevant parts bolded:
Shadow arrives with 3 playable levels! Episode Shadow is a free Add-on for Sonic Forces.

#sonic forces #episode shadow #shadow the hedgehog #Shadow is playable for the first time in quite some while
#once you finish his side story #he can go through modern Sonic's stages in the game
#but what secrets does Infinite hold? #and why is Shadow on Eggman's side? #you'll have to wait and see #armed ballistic item not required

Yeah, I forgot to say that in the post. (And doing the "evil smiley face" emote was an embarrassing and childish mistake now that I think about it and since it was "snipped" it in the quote, why did I do that?)

At this point, I've given up all hope of Sonic Forces being a satisfying or even "good" game, but my excitement for the OST takes me right back to highschool. Ah, the days when I was chomping at the bit just to hear a 30-second longer teaser of "I Am (All Of Me)"... I'm a much wiser gamer than I used to be, but I'll always have a weak spot for 3D Sonic games no matter the quality of the gameplay.

I'm not gonna lie - I'm vacillating between dreading this game and being hype as heck. Objectively, I know this game will squander a lot of goodwill towards the franchise, there's a lot I don't like about the level design that's been shown off, it'll have yet more unwarranted reused zones, the Hooters partnership is probably the clearest indication they don't know what they're doing, and Classic Sonic likely never should have been in this game...

...but I spent like 16 hours a day for probably a solid month each playing Heroes and 06 when they were new. I am coming to the realisation that, what Mania was to a lot of people who are around 30 is, this game is precision-engineered in direction to own my nostalgic 21 year old ass. All the characters who I've secretly missed! The apocalypse is nigh, but it's man-made! A powerful new god creature with their own theme song! Tag team gameplay! A story with more substance than most games since Unleashed! And of course, the music. I'm excited, even though in some ways I know I shouldn't be.

(I was still interested in Mania despite not being designed for me in particular because it's a damn good game, and as you can see I have my doubts about whether the inverse would be true, but whatever, I AM THE DARKEST OF DAYS I AM THE SHARPEST OF EDGES I AM THE CRASHING OF WAVES I'LL CUT YOU DOWN IN A SECOND)

Last edited:
To be honest for Classic Sonic gameplay, I'm not expecting a 1:1 Sega Genesis/Sonic Mania experience with Classic Sonic (physics wise). That should be expected, it's not the Retro Engine. I feel like everyone has too much expectations when it comes to Classic Sonic gameplay not just with Forces but with Generations, or any other modern title to feature Classic Sonic in the future. I for one, am looking forward to the new level with Classic Sonic and more levels along the way but come on guys, don't expect Mania 2 to come out from this. I feel like you guys are being way too critical over one nitpick. It's not gonna ruin my experience with the game or other people's experiences, its just only going to ruin yours.

To be honest for Classic Sonic gameplay, I'm not expecting a 1:1 Sega Genesis/Sonic Mania experience with Classic Sonic (physics wise). That should be expected, it's not the Retro Engine. I feel like everyone has too much expectations when it comes to Classic Sonic gameplay not just with Forces but with Generations, or any other modern title to feature Classic Sonic in the future.
This is a problem with expectations SEGA has created by the naming of it. They call it "Classic Sonic gameplay", and it's not. It's like how Sonic 4's name is so offensive to so many people, myself included. If they name it something that generates expectations that they aren't going to fulfill, they're setting themselves up for backlash when those expectations aren't fulfilled. If they had called Sonic 4 something like say, Sonic Mania, then nobody would have been so mad about it. They only have themselves to blame for promising things that they aren't even planning to deliver.

I Remember reading an article somewhere of a dev justifying 3D Physics, saying they couldn't recapture the 2D physics accurately in 3D, lame excuse, there are hundereds of 3D Fangames out there with Physics that are great, not 1:1 Recreations but are just great enough to make you forget about the issue.

To be fair, 2D Sonic's physics engine is pretty complicated. And we aren't talking a straight copy and paste either, it has to work with the existing engine that Generations/Forces runs on.

lots of 3D Fangames came before it, each worked on a different engine, yet they managed to make the physics good enough, They (whoever is in working on the physics) are just doing a Bad job at it.

I'm not saying that being 3D disqualifies the physics from being able to work as strongly or that many of the faults aren't due to Sonic Team's incompetence. I'm just saying that in Generations/Forces case, Classic's physics have to be built on top of the same engine that Modern Sonic is using, which could complicate things as opposed to building from scratch.

It is possible to adjust the physics depending on the selected character, we've seen this done with SA2 Before.

It is possible to adjust the physics depending on the selected character, we've seen this done with SA2 Before.
Yes... but Classic Sonic is literally a "hacked" Modern Sonic (at least in Sonic Generations), and Modern Sonic was made at a time Classic Sonic wasn't a relevant playable character (Sonic Unleashed), with a much different engine than what Classic Sonic would be best off using, "unlike" Sonic Adventure 2 that has an engine designed with either Sonic Adventure 2 or its predecessor in mind (and which does not even have to emulate any pre-existing games in any way and thus isn't as criticizable about failing to emulate classic Sonic physics).

Edit: Not to mention that people will likely be upset if Classic Sonic controls much differently from in Sonic Generations, so "mentally", they can't really go change Classic Sonic to be 100% like in the classic Sonic games even if they really wanted to.

Last edited:

The difference is Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails don't control very differently in SA2. They have minor tweaks to some values like acceleration or gravity, but ultimately, if you shoot Sonic up a slope at 100 mph he's gonna go flying off it very similarly to Knuckles if you put him in the same situation. Put Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic in the same situation, and you'll get very different results. They need completely different base physics altogether; comparing it to SA2 is apples to oranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back