SC_Medpack (Previously known as SC_GMS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@blackhex for me, sonic's model is the last model I tested. So right now, normal sonic is Emerl, before that it was Sonic Boom, and before that it was Roly Poly.

But every other skin I have a proper model that I have made/ported on it.

Edit: oh wait, I lied, it's actually the Sonic 06 model that viperbug456 refuses to take. (I was scared shitless when I forgot to add the texture to it, and saw the sonic sprite on the model having a seizure)

Last edited:
Did you already finished Sonic Boom-Sonic model? If that's true, can you please share it with me via PM? I wanna use it :B

I love 06 :\.

Is love really the *right* word? No offence to you, and I respect your opinion, but... the game is just very flawed in my eyes, and I just don't deem it as "lovable." However, I digress; I won't start this here.

In any case, and this could seem arbitrary, but you should probably fix the level titles, if you haven't already. Things like "Splash Hill Zone Zone" and "Manray Zone Zone" bug me very much, and for no reason, too. Just thought I'd say that little suggestion here. To say what I think of the level pack- adequate, more or less. No one level really amazes me, the mach speed sections are pulled off alright, I guess (although porting the Splash Hill map without really improving on it for 2.1 is deemed lazy to me though, and what's with the random industrial setting half-way through the stage?), but Manray Zone is so obviously inspired by Frozen Factory in almost every way that it's just a sort-of rip-off, even though I'm not entirely comfortable with Frozen Factory (3DS) to begin with. I could say the same for Glyphic Canyon, but I couldn't care for Shadow the Game. I'm not sure if you were sarcastic or not on the front post, but Manray shouldn't be based entirely on gimmicks from another non-fan-game. I'd think it be best to add new level-themed gimmicks to it, assuming you can think of ones that fit for a winter-theme that haven't been thought of yet. Maybe a touch of Lua magic, too? Because 2.1? Meh.

Last edited:
@blackhex funny enough I was done with that model a long time ago. In fact it was placed in submissions before this level pack was. *shrugs*

@katwover most of the 'flaws' in 06 were done due to the stupidity of players. The only REALLY glitch I found, was the Rogue / Knuckles sticking to the wall.

Alrighy, let me tackle the stuff you said in order:

1.) I didn't name the zone Splash Hill, SEGA did :p. Manray zone does bug me a bit also, but I can't think of another name. Also it's based off the episode of Spongebob when Patrick and Spongebob shiver in fear of Manray, and he was FROZEN in tarter sauce.

Well Splash Hill zone was fixed up a bit in terms of textures, graphical stuff (if you remember, in 2.0 it had the huge pointless water in the back with the rocks), and stuff. Basically it was updated to look more pretty and not lag alot.

Surprising as it is, Manray is 100% NOT based off of Frozen Factory, as stated in the OP. I just so happens to use the Lost World trees, and Frozen Factory music.

Also Manray wasn't based on any game for the gimmicks in it.

I'm horrible with Lua, the best I can do is copy, paste, edit, and merge. And just because it's 2.1 doesn't mean it HAS to have Lua. People are getting too Lua hungry :o.

@Mydoctor Actually, just wanted the model to use it along the Bandages char of ZeroTeam :V
It really combines well, as I noticed.

Anyway, cannot wait for moar levels like this! Estoy nervioso :B
sorry, too much spanish is affecting me.

@blackhex That's what I mean. You should have had the model by now, not sure why it's sitting in the submissions area for so long, along with the Emerl model.

Also, what do you the people recommend, scrapped emerald idea, or expanded level in second section that leads to the other emeralds?

@blackhex That's what I mean. You should have had the model by now, not sure why it's sitting in the submissions area for so long, along with the Emerl model.

Also, what do you the people recommend, scrapped emerald idea, or expanded level in second section that leads to the other emeralds?
I'd take the expansion that leads to other emeralds, thank you. It's just so much better having us WORK and SEARCH for the emeralds than to simply just stroll by them.

If I'm suggesting anything else, I'd say make the new manray zone somewhere you would only go if you got all the emeralds, or in this case, an exclusive level. Then you would go to Splash Hill, and then Credits, the endless loop thing is more worthless than anything else.

I'd take the expansion that leads to other emeralds, thank you. It's just so much better having us WORK and SEARCH for the emeralds than to simply just stroll by them.

If I'm suggesting anything else, I'd say make the new manray zone somewhere you would only go if you got all the emeralds, or in this case, an exclusive level. Then you would go to Splash Hill, and then Credits, the endless loop thing is more worthless than anything else.

Well that loop (De - loop and pull, and your shoes are looking cool) was made so that you could experience all the levels. Remember, GC was also a port from 2.0 and had the emerald part incorporated in it, I simply changed the linedefs and maincfg to lead them to the levels in this map pack.

But ok, I'll take your suggestion. So collecting emeralds in GC leads to Manray, then to Splash Hill. What about if you beat GC naturally?

How about White Park? Just to keep the Sonic 4 theme... Or maybe Desert Ruins.

You could just have it lead into Splash Hill, making Manray more of a bonus, but it'd be nicer if there was another level added as an optional choice (kinda like how Castlevania: Rondo of Blood takes you to alternate stages depending on where you exit the level).

Just a thought...

But ok, I'll take your suggestion. So collecting emeralds in GC leads to Manray, then to Splash Hill. What about if you beat GC naturally?

OP: The map after Glyphic Canyon, depends on what the player does. Collect 3 Chaos Emeralds/Pieces of the Master Emerald/Activate all three jewels to advance to Splash Hill Zone. Go for the Goal Post to go to Manray Zone.

I like this little take on Shadow the Hedgehog. This adds charm to your map pack in my opinion.

Well a while ago I did port over another map I made. So there are two options:

1.) Add a new map that will be made from scratch, like Manray,
Or
2.) Add semi improved Egg Fleet.

@katwover most of the 'flaws' in 06 were done due to the stupidity of players. The only REALLY glitch I found, was the Rogue / Knuckles sticking to the wall.

Alrighy, let me tackle the stuff you said in order:

1.) I didn't name the zone Splash Hill, SEGA did :p. Manray zone does bug me a bit also, but I can't think of another name. Also it's based off the episode of Spongebob when Patrick and Spongebob shiver in fear of Manray, and he was FROZEN in tarter sauce.

Well Splash Hill zone was fixed up a bit in terms of textures, graphical stuff (if you remember, in 2.0 it had the huge pointless water in the back with the rocks), and stuff. Basically it was updated to look more pretty and not lag alot.

Surprising as it is, Manray is 100% NOT based off of Frozen Factory, as stated in the OP. I just so happens to use the Lost World trees, and Frozen Factory music.

Also Manray wasn't based on any game for the gimmicks in it.

I'm horrible with Lua, the best I can do is copy, paste, edit, and merge. And just because it's 2.1 doesn't mean it HAS to have Lua. People are getting too Lua hungry :o.

Well, it's not the stupidity of the players moreso they do it on purpose just to get entertainment on how glitchy the game is. There are many other glitches and flaws that tend to be VERY FRUSTRATING for no reason, like not being able to jump on enemies, whereas that was one of the main attacks you can do to badniks in the Genesis games. But anyways...

1. What I mean is; don't you see the level name at the start of the level? It has *"Zone Zone"* at the end of it, right? Like Splash Hill "Zone Zone" and Manray "Zone Zone?" Could you fix that? It's sorta pointless to fix, but nevertheless, that's bugging me.

2. Still, Splash Hill looks bare-bones in some areas. I still don't get the use of the part where it goes indoors into the factory-like area. I don't remember Splash Hill having a random factory half-way through it.

3. Well, Manray uses Lost World trees and Frozen Factory's music, mach speed section (except not on the disorientating tubes), and push-snowball gimmick. Why would I not think it would be based off of something else? I don't like the push-snowball gimmick because, to me, it's not very Sonic-like to push a growing snowball to open the next part of the stage; I suggested new gimmicks to make it less Frozen Factory-like and more Manray Zone-like.

I also suggested Lua because, yes, there are lots of Lua everything now, but not much in terms of Lua in a stage working as a gimmick for it. At least not what I've seen.

Well that loop (De - loop and pull, and your shoes are looking cool) was made so that you could experience all the levels. Remember, GC was also a port from 2.0 and had the emerald part incorporated in it, I simply changed the linedefs and maincfg to lead them to the levels in this map pack.

When you beat GC normally, you will go to Splash Hill, then Credits. you gotta make people EARN that level

@kat well, is not hurting enemies by jumping a glitch, or part of the game? If played the game the way you are supposed to, it's perfect.

Ooh, didn't see that extra zone thing.

What do you mean by bare-bones? And what areas would you define as bare-boned? also, that mechanical area serves as a transition from day to afternoon.

Manray no longer has any snowball parts in the update that has not been uploaded yet. Now it's your average quick snow sonic level. With a mach speed part. And some factory parts. And snow.

As I said, I am horrible with Lua, also I don't see how Lua could advance a level. (if anyone is willing to help, be my guest)

@doun what do you think about the ideas two posts above yours?

As I said, I am horrible with Lua, also I don't see how Lua could advance a level. (if anyone is willing to help, be my guest)

There are plenty of ways to advance a level using lua. You can do some pretty complex stuff with it, which would take a ton of linedefs to do without. For instance, the new Brak Eggman, as I recall, is largely coded in lua. You can easily use it to manipulate larger quantities of different sectors, and for slightly more flexible thing gimmicks.

In terms of implementation into level design, it's not quite as flexible as Hexen's ACS is, however there's still a lot you can do with it. You just have to think a little outside the box.

There are plenty of ways to advance a level using lua. You can do some pretty complex stuff with it, which would take a ton of linedefs to do without.

You don't even need Lua. There is an option to have a Custom Exit for certain sectors which you can do in Doom Buider.

For instance, the new Brak Eggman, as I recall, is largely coded in lua. You can easily use it to manipulate larger quantities of different sectors, and for slightly more flexible thing gimmicks.

From what I've heard, it isn't. It just uses random variables to tell it what to do for attacks. The code for Brak Eggman is extremly similar or in fact, it's the exact same code as the Cyberdemon from the Doom series

@kat well, is not hurting enemies by jumping a glitch, or part of the game? If played the game the way you are supposed to, it's perfect.

Ooh, didn't see that extra zone thing.

What do you mean by bare-bones? And what areas would you define as bare-boned? also, that mechanical area serves as a transition from day to afternoon.

Manray no longer has any snowball parts in the update that has not been uploaded yet. Now it's your average quick snow sonic level. With a mach speed part. And some factory parts. And snow.

It just bugs me that you can't jump upon Eggman's robots in 06, like repeatedly jump on them to lessen their health. You would get damaged and lose rings, for no reason. Unlike 06, you can do so in the Genesis games, and even in the Adventure games and Heroes you can jump on badniks, even if the homing attack is the better option. There is nothing totally wrong with the homing attack in 06, but I dislike seeing the same animation for every homing attack I do, you know?

I mean bare-bones as that there is little decoration anywhere. Well, it's not so few and far between, but make your Splash Hill more like a tropical paradise with flowers and palm trees and not... having a random... mechanical area as a transition... Have like a huge checkered wall or something as a transition, not a mechanical area. It looks unfitting. You should also change the sky background to something more higher-quality. Those clouds look ugly to me.

It still sounds like Frozen Factory to me. I mean, it's your decision, but having a factory area in a winter-themed level and including random speed-up sections still gives a hint of Lost World's snowy stage. Include a snowboard section or have someone make a badnik that throws snowballs at the player for you. Well, minus the last part, since Lua isn't really your thing, but make Manray Zone more like your own original thing, and not a rehash resembling a stage from another game.

That bugs me aswell, however I can't say the game was bad because it has a different combat style, which is barely even used in that era, such as the adventure series, Shadow, or Heroes.

Well there are decorations from the original srb2 decoration things, but I'll see I could make replacements of those decorations to fit splash hill. I think I have an idea about that mechanical part, which I might add. (There is a long complicated reason why I might not, but as I said, I have an idea. PM me if you wish to know more)

honestly, Manray and Frozen Factory have little in common. The only thing they have in common through my eyes, is snow, music, mach speed, trees. Everything else is different. I gave Manray a more "cave" like feel to it, seeing how the level is kinda 'locked in' with the walls and water.

Well a while ago I did port over another map I made. So there are two options:

1.) Add a new map that will be made from scratch, like Manray,
Or
2.) Add semi improved Egg Fleet.

I feel like the map made from scratch would be a better choice, that way, we'll be on your side to tell you what could be in the level!

Well, I may like Egg Fleet's music, but I'm more interested in a new zone. What did you have in mind? Something else Lost World themed? Something more original?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back