Suggestions

Hey, so, what if every server had its own description that the player could read before joining it? Sometimes "game is modified" and "cheats enabled" isn't all that decisive in considering what exactly the server will play like, so it'd be nice if hosts had kind of a "pre-join" motd so that MS surfing was less of a hassle for the client.
Indeed this. It is quite annoying to attempt to join a server, only to find there are hundreds of wads I need to download, causing the game to crash and forcing me to open it again.

Speaking of which, does the game really have to crash when that happens? Couldn't it just be an ingame error message and then kick you back to the main menu?

Sorry if this has been suggested before (I just got the idea from browsing the wiki), but for the Disco Room, I think the record disks (I don't know what they're called) should spin, maybe slowly so jumping on others can be easy.

Linedef Executor: Shake Screen
Pretty self-explanatory. When triggered, it makes the calling player's field of vision shake. Here are the variables:
Linedef Length: Duration of effect
Front Texture X-Offsets: Strength of horizontal shake
Front Texture Y-Offsets: Strength of vertical shake
Not Climbable Flag: Effect applies to all players

Um, I know this is impossible, but I think a virtual "lobby" would be really cool for an srb2 online server thing. Like, you could have the regular lobby with the whole list, or you could just have a "lobby" just for the sole purpose of it having small visual like things that change for every server depending on what zone they're in. It will have the text appear above their little square you can jump if you want to join but the scenery around the button changes so you know what zone/level they are in, and it would also say what gametype along with the map name as well...

But unfortunately, this is impossible.. isn't it?

Hey, so, what if every server had its own description that the player could read before joining it? Sometimes "game is modified" and "cheats enabled" isn't all that decisive in considering what exactly the server will play like, so it'd be nice if hosts had kind of a "pre-join" motd so that MS surfing was less of a hassle for the client.

This as well as the ability to see the server's files added without the need for the forum's MS listing would be nice.

The issue with this is that our menu system is too big and clunky to actually be any use with long bits of text. We had enough problems with ban messages popping up. Unlike other systems like on Source games where you can put a lot of text on screen and it'll all be perfectly readable, our system has great big yellow letters that get very irritating to read in large amounts.

I'm... pretty sure flats can't rotate, though. So you would always have to settle for a flat color or an animated texture to go along with it (imagine a little flicker on a record while it's spinning around).

Doesn't 2.0.6 have an option to rotate flats? I half-coded support for it in 2.0.4, and I thought someone finished the job.

Doesn't 2.0.6 have an option to rotate flats? I half-coded support for it in 2.0.4, and I thought someone finished the job.
Well, yes, flats can indeed be rotated with Linedef Type 7. However, there is currently no coded method of dynamically spinning them...they can just be angled in a fixed direction.

Daytime to Night?

Okay. I don't know if this is the worst suggestion anyone has ever decided to suggest for the srb2 game, as it is probably the most pointless, but I feel like saying it anyways.

Okay, so, in reality, I guess you could say that the time of day will always change right? It will be morning, to the afternoon to night and etc. Well, usually srb2 has it's Christmas theme that happens whenever it's December 25th (though call me crazy I think it should extend throughout the entire week.) and other stuff just like that. No real music change is required, and all sound tracks can be kept the same... but what if srb2 changed in their stages depending on the time of day you decide to play it? Like for instance, if you play it during the morning, it will be all sunny like the regular stages currently are (for the stages that are enclosed, there won't really be a difference). If you play it kind of late in the afternoon, there will be an orangish tint and it will feel all "sunset" like. And if you play it at night, the game will get all dark and midnight like (with the exception of stages like Egg Rock Zone, Techno Hill Zone Acts 2-3, and Red Volcano Zone.)

What purpose does this have on gameplay? I think the only purpose this would serve in gameplay would be the fact that it gives you the feeling that you're actually playing the game in time with your time, so you can actually get a feel of the stage. Basically, it serves absolutely no purpose.

So then why do I want that (and for some reason other people as well)? Honestly, I wish that I could give you a solid reason as to why I would want something like this. If I remember correctly, and old mod for srb2 1094 did something just like this, and I honestly thought it was cool.

... with that said, I'm sure this will also spawn that people want seasons added onto this game too. I just think that for a visual factor, I guess that would make the whole game of srb2 cooler, but I'm sure those working on it still trying to make the levels and stuff like that will find this to be a silly and pointless add on to the srb2 coding.

This could cause the exact same issues as Christmas mode used to that caused it to be removed. Some stages could also practically require a certain time to make sense. (Dark City Zone) So, I say no.

I have a somewhat close idea that'd work; a linedef executor that caused a level-wide brightness adjustment. (Say, 255 was the light level; said executor could lower brightness globally to 190 and change the SkyNum)

Lower light level by a relative value, say, 64 using tag -1 to apply to every sector.

This could cause the exact same issues as Christmas mode used to that caused it to be removed. Some stages could also practically require a certain time to make sense. (Dark City Zone) So, I say no.

I'm pretty sure that what I said earlier about certain stages that require a certain time like zone wouldn't be changed due to the fact that it would be weird. But stages like Green Flower Zone honestly don't "require" the time zone of day.

I see no one really cared for the virtual lobby I see. Oh well.

Well, at this point I don't really have much to add for a new suggestion.

I see no one really cared for the virtual lobby I see. Oh well.

Well, at this point I don't really have much to add for a new suggestion.

Actually, I thought it was kind of cool. Furthermore, I'm not entirely convinced that it's impossible. However, it would certainly require a lot of coding, and I doubt the devs would be willing to work that hard just to add in a fancy extra feature like that.

What if we added more colours from The old versions, or new colours all together, like cerulean (light-ish blue with a green tint)?

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 8, Members: 0, Guests: 8)

Back