Srb2 CB: Windy hill Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redy

Hi everyone, this is my first level, its Windy hill Based On Sonic Lost World Level
shot0060.html

shot0044.html

Its recomended to use some wad character who can use homing atack, but if you want you can still pass it, using the normal srb2 characters
shot0070.html

Attachments

• S_WindyHillZone.rar
    4.6 MB · Views: 1,965
Last edited:
If I’ll be entirely honest, this level isn’t very good. If you haven’t given it a read already, I’d suggest giving the Level Design 101 page on the Wiki a read through to help you if you’re interested in continuing making levels for SRB2

When making ports of a level from another game, it’s worth considering that what works for the game you’re porting a level from might not work in SRB2. For example Sonic Lost Worlds plays very differently from SRB2 and a lot of the design choices in Lost World’s level design don’t compliment the mechanics of SRB2. But if you’re still interested in mapping it’ll be worth using what you’ve learned in making this map to create something that isn’t a port of a level from another Sonic game.

Also as a quick suggestion, I’d recommend following the naming conventions for your wads in future. Just because it’s easier for people with lots of wads to organise that way.

Regardless, this level is clearly an honest attempt rather than a no effort mess so welcome to releases.

If I’ll be entirely honest, this level isn’t very good. If you haven’t given it a read already, I’d suggest giving the Level Design 101 page on the Wiki a read through to help you if you’re interested in continuing making levels for SRB2

When making ports of a level from another game, it’s worth considering that what works for the game you’re porting a level from might not work in SRB2. For example Sonic Lost Worlds plays very differently from SRB2 and a lot of the design choices in Lost World’s level design don’t compliment the mechanics of SRB2. But if you’re still interested in mapping it’ll be worth using what you’ve learned in making this map to create something that isn’t a port of a level from another Sonic game.

Also as a quick suggestion, I’d recommend following the naming conventions for your wads in future. Just because it’s easier for people with lots of wads to organise that way.

Regardless, this level is clearly an honest attempt rather than a no effort mess so welcome to releases.
That was my first level, and i decided to make a port of lost world, i know it doesnt fit good, but im making now other levels that are my own creation, im going to realase it, but, not now, are a levels of a proyect that i trying to do.

Last edited:
Oi, sorry about the confusion here. The gametype prefix from the level naming conventions isn't optional; you have to fix that before this can actually go in releases.

Needs better walls

This problem really had to be addressed soon or later. The walls in the zone are ridiculous. They're starting to blind me from the stage and it doesn't make the stage look good. I get really confused which is a platform and which is a bottomless pit. Honestly i hate walls like these >.<

Attachments

• srb20000.png
    srb20000.png
    20 KB · Views: 814
  • srb20001.png
    srb20001.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 702
This problem really had to be addressed soon or later. The walls in the zone are ridiculous. They're starting to blind me from the stage and it doesn't make the stage look good. I get really confused which is a platform and which is a bottomless pit. Honestly i hate walls like these >.<

You are playing it in srb2 normal exe right?, because its for srb2 CB.

Apparently what causes it, is the lack of a thok barrier, but I have tried out it on Vanilla OpenGL and it worked perfectly, SRB2CB is not required at all unless you want to play with Sonic 3 styled monitors.

Uh, you say that we should also play this level with a character that has the Homing Attack, but that ability is broken in SRB2CB.

And What Version of Srb2 CB you have?, in the version i have (full color png version) it have the homing atack.

Last edited:
I kind of was expecting the half-pipe from Windy Hill Zone 4 or something close to it since slopes are an option in SRB2CB and the gravity mechanic from Sonic Lost World is not possible.

It is better to try to come up with some original layouts since you cannot really copy everything from SLW exactly. Try coming up with your own type of sections to add to the level and add some twists to ideas present in the Windy Hill stages from whatever version of the game you are looking at if you still want to work on this level after you read through the Level Design 101 page on the Srb2 Wiki.

Keep on practicing, I will be looking forward to seeing what you do in the future.

Uh, you say that we should also play this level with a character that has the Homing Attack, but that ability is broken in SRB2CB.

In the PNG edition it is fixed.

About the map:

Pros: I like how there are many parts in this level based off the ones we see from the trailer.

Cons/Things to work on: I have noticed a couple things such as:
1.) Checkpoints - The checkpoints aren't setup correctly. The only working checkpoint is the first one. For the others, to make each new checkpoint a different one, you need to rotate it +360.

2.)

Hey look, I'm a giant!, no wait, oh, ok, nvm its just my flying in air.

3.) The part that has the NiGHTS things that are supposed to represent the hoops, actually sent me to my death instead of the cloud. It literally sent me under the cloud.

4.) Try to make the dash pads look more like dashpads instead of a random conveyor belt. Seeing the dashpads in SLW, I recommend making smaller versions of the rope thingies we see in ACZ. Also, the dashpads are a bit too powerfull here. Try to make the push not as strong.

5.) There are a couple missing textures.

6.) As stated earlier, not all the mechanics can be recreated (Though you and I have a similar liking to recreate stuff, I like that about you :D.), so it is best if you try to make some parts your own revision of the level.

7.) All the FOF's have no floor texture.

EDIT!:

8.) Forgot to say, but the Song you are using isn't the best version, try searching up on Youtube "Windy Hill Zone act 1 [Clean Rip], and you will get a perfect version.

Last edited:
In the PNG edition it is fixed.

About the map:

Pros: I like how there are many parts in this level based off the ones we see from the trailer.

Cons/Things to work on: I have noticed a couple things such as:
1.) Checkpoints - The checkpoints aren't setup correctly. The only working checkpoint is the first one. For the others, to make each new checkpoint a different one, you need to rotate it +360.

2.)

Hey look, I'm a giant!, no wait, oh, ok, nvm its just my flying in air.

3.) The part that has the NiGHTS things that are supposed to represent the hoops, actually sent me to my death instead of the cloud. It literally sent me under the cloud.

4.) Try to make the dash pads look more like dashpads instead of a random conveyor belt. Seeing the dashpads in SLW, I recommend making smaller versions of the rope thingies we see in ACZ. Also, the dashpads are a bit too powerfull here. Try to make the push not as strong.

5.) There are a couple missing textures.

6.) As stated earlier, not all the mechanics can be recreated (Though you and I have a similar liking to recreate stuff, I like that about you :D.), so it is best if you try to make some parts your own revision of the level.

7.) All the FOF's have no floor texture.

EDIT!:

8.) Forgot to say, but the Song you are using isn't the best version, try searching up on Youtube "Windy Hill Zone act 1 [Clean Rip], and you will get a perfect version.

What FOF's you mean?, i put an invisible FOF's for not people trying to jump that part, by the way, im not interested more in this level, im trying to make a proyect with own levels, this level its a practice for making levels, but not a reluctantly attempt, and i dont have any idea for making not powerfull dash pads, if you know how, I would appreciate if you know how to tell me
thx for reading.

What FOF's you mean?, i put an invisible FOF's for not people trying to jump that part, by the way, im not interested more in this level, im trying to make a proyect with own levels, this level its a practice for making levels, but not a reluctantly attempt, and i dont have any idea for making not powerfull dash pads, if you know how, I would appreciate if you know how to tell me
thx for reading.

To answer/respond your questions/statements in order,:

1.) All the FOFs in the level (that I saw) have no bottom texture.
2.) Yeah, but seeing how it is a sprial and how it is an invisible wall, it would be good to let the player know that jumping there would lead to their deaths, otherwise it was an unfair loss of life.
3.) In my opinion, if you release something then you should be interested in it, because, in my opinion, thats one of the only reasons making the maps.
4.) About the Dashpads, there is a page on the wiki that explains how to properly setup a dash/speed pad.
5.) I really hate this number list stuff, makes me sound rude, gotta break the habbit.

But don't get discouraged, these are only things to work on, the level itself was good for a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back