• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Doom Builder Config: Bitsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJames19119

Why did they remove Grey
http://srpgp.digibase.ca/srb2planet/srb2edit.cfg

What does this config do?

bitsets.png

This config file will put bitset tags on the thing dialog box. This makes it so you don't have to bust out a calculator or remember lots of numbers to make your things float over the ground. They work smoothly with the Easy, Normal, Hard, Deaf and Multiplayer tags and can even be stacked to access any number of units that are not on the tags. This makes placing things on commonly used heights a lot easier and saves much time.

A demo of this can be viewed here:
http://srpgp.digibase.ca/srb2planet/bitsetdb.wad

I am constantly improving on the DB config file and continously finding more and more ways of improving it, this being one of the better fruits of this. I will continue improving the DB config until I can no longer improve on it. I am also planning on writing a Doom Builder tutorial with a similar look and style to that of a441's WadAuthor tutorial, which is now, sadly, outdated. I hope to make DB a better map making program than WA here, especially since WA has little compatibility to 1.09 and the site is down. That is all, enjoy using this config, more will come soon.

Hmm, actually, DB is open source, isn't it?

I should start modding it to support SRB2 specifics.

Since your doing the doom builder config now, it's best to tell you that it's missing a enemy(Pop-up turret, thing #243, sprite TURRA1). But anyway, this looks nice and i'm hoping to see more configs from you.

Speaking of which, I already modified this to include the correct names for sector types and so forth... just add the Turret in, I'll slap the Things in again, and I'll post that.

Shadow Hog, learn to use Linedef categories. DB seperates Linedef actions into categories based the first word in the name. For instance:

+ Floor Over Floor
---Floor Over Floor - Opaque, Solid, Shadow Casting
---Floor Over Floor - Opaque, Solid, Non-Shadow Casting
+ Linedef
---Linedef Executor 1
---Linedef Executor 2
+ Platform
---Platform Opaque
---Platform Translucent

Yes, I realize that's not in the config you made, it's just an example. DB groups it up like that and since you went by the specials document, you've made far too many categories and it makes editing linedef actions tedious. Put category names in front of certain linedef actions to group them up, for instance, put the word "Other" in fron of Boom Push/Pull and Camera Scanner to put them in the same category.

Also, DB crashes with an "Object Required" error when I try to edit a thing.

Alright, yes, I knew the categories were broken. Will fix in a bit. (And by a bit, I mean "sometime in the next month or so".)

As for the Thing issue, I wouldn't know what's causing that, since it's taken directly from the config you posted prior. Check that that's working, too.

Updated the config yet again. Now, it shows ALL the bitsets:

2-4-8-16-32-64-128-256-512-1024-2048

Not only that but DB has an interesting new feature...

mapheaderdb.png

A Map Header editor and creator!

No more messing with lumpmod or XWE to insert those map headers, you can edit them or create them straight from DB. Just select the header you want and it pops up with a little text editor that will save any text you put into it straight into the WAD as the header you chose. If the header doesn't exsist, don't worry; DB will create it for you. Of course, this supports all 1035 map headers, and that means...

mapselectdb.png

A LOT of menu selections! :D This won't be too much of a problem for the maps that begin with a number or A. (Ex. MAP01D, MAP45D, MAPA7D) I feel sorry for the people who put their maps at MAPZA through MAPZZ though. :P

Same link still works, just look at my first post.

Heh, thanks. I 've had trouble with configs in the past.
EDIT: This is really nice. I think the newest feature seems cool, but it crashes DB.

Apparently, if you're using someone else's DB config, a certain thing will crash. For instance, Shadow Hog did a basic edit on my config, yet for me, it crashed when I tried to place a thing.

DB is weird.

You're not alone, JJ, it crashes for me, too. Oddly enough, so does the included "ZDOOM - DOOM in Hexen Format" config, when that should've been functional from the getgo. Admittedly that one's problem is TEXTURES and not THINGS, but the crash otherwise occurs very similarly.

It could very likely be more of a problem with DB than the actual config. It IS open source. With all these problems, I would just download the source and mod DB myself but I lack the proper utilities to compile source code into a fully functioning EXE and stuff.

Pardon me for the bump, but I edited the config.
http://www.freewebtown.com/srb2playah/srb2edit.cfg

Diffrences: (Listed from major to minor)
  1. Most things appear in 3D mode now. (NOTE: MOST. Not ALL. The spriteless graphics still cannot be seen.)
    Gave the Mario-themed items their own section.
    Made the config a bit more organized by adding seperation lines.
    In the Things section of the config, I added a little list showing all the colors you can set to the Color variable for the thing groups.
    Changed a few names.

Enjoy the wonders of placing Things in 3D mode.
(To see things in 3D mode, you need Doom Builder Version 1.67, which at the time of me writing this, is the most recent version.)

I hope I didn't majorly bugger anything up... >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back