Return of the Slime trail!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your question is rather vague TSDude, if you showed us the map or gave us more information we could tell you what's wrong with it but, without that info the best I can give you is this.

Yeah I know I'm being vague, but that's because the levels with the slime trails are apart of my mod, and I don't want to give away too much about my mod. Did you want me to upload pictures or the level?

In addition to what wizeman stated; if your using Doom Builder, trying running the "Find Map Errors" option under the "Tools" menu if you haven't already. Sometimes graphical errors are caused by mismatched linedefs or unclosed sectors.

Last edited:
Yeah I know I'm being vague, but that's because the levels with the slime trails are apart of my mod, and I don't want to give away too much about my mod. Did you want me to upload pictures or the level?
I would suggest uploading just the part of the level with the slime trail but, if you really want to keep it secret then just post the screenshots.

I'll do both, it'll take a couple minutes.
EDIT: Here is the rar, it contains the screenshots I took before I edited the wad and removed things for privacy.
Note: a lot of textures were replaced for privacy.
Here is the download: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75668365/slimeissue.rar

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

In addition to what wizeman stated; if your using Doom Builder, trying running the "Find Map Errors" option under the "Tools" menu if you haven't already. Sometimes graphical errors are caused by mismatched linedefs or unclosed sectors.
I'll try that now.
EDIT: No, it just says not enough starts.

EDIT AGAIN: It turns out that if I delete some parts of my sector the slime trail disappears, so I deleted the hoop and it works pretty well. But I want to keep the hoop since I'm not going to be doing this mod for opengl (srb2cb mainly) yet.

Last edited:
You wiggle around some vertices and hope it goes away.

Alternatively make everything nice and orthogonal, but that's not usually a good idea for more organic/natural stages.

Don't sweat it too much if it's not a really large, obnoxious slime trail; even official Doom maps had 'em.

You wiggle around some vertices and hope it goes away.

Alternatively make everything nice and orthogonal, but that's not usually a good idea for more organic/natural stages.

Don't sweat it too much if it's not a really large, obnoxious slime trail; even official Doom maps had 'em.
There were too many sectors that add to the theme to try this action that you supposed, I thought my hoop was what made my level go wrong. Anyway it was a fairly long yet thin slime trail it would affect the beginning part of the level.

You guys can lock this topic now, I finally fixed it.

Thank you all for the help.

[SORRYFORDOUBLEPOST]Wait a minute don't lock this yet, new slime trail problem, and I am not afraid of showing the level and pics this time.[/SORRYFORDOUBLEPOST]

It's a match level I'm working on and guess who came to visit my map.
Slime trail!
wizeman said:
I would suggest uploading just the part of the level with the slime trail.
I'll give you more than that, how about the whole level.
And some screenies:
The long gray wall to the right:
ogfmtl.png

That grey brick wall (left side of image) looks to close to be my wall:
20uxweq.png

Alright time for some indoor pics:
244qr84.png

3517n8k.png

Next let's go exploring, wait a minute what's killing my map:
1z4blm9.png

64hxqb.png

Does anyone have anymore advice on how to fix this?

Whelp, I can't tell you for sure (because I cant open a .rar) but, it looks like that's happening because you can see too far out.

Just as I said before, it's because you can see too far out.
srb20003.jpg

Now notice how I moved forward a little in this next pic.
srb20004.jpg
So, the only way too fix this is to put buildings or, towers or, something to stop the player from seeing to far out.

The new download says hi to wizeman.
"Hall of Mirrors" say hi.

SRB2 software renderer can't stand rooms larger/longer/bigger/whatever than 12,000 FU approximately. If the map itself is already huge, like yours, SRB2 is less tolerant to large rooms and Hall of Mirrors start appearing randomly in the map.

I suggest you split the rooms and take advantage of it.

@Wizeman: Your right, I just tried building more buildings and it works (a bit). However, there is a cause of lag.
@Ezer.Arch: Thank you for the site and your info, now I know how to avoid HOMs. Also I have question for you, if I make a sector that is as long as "12,000 FU approximately" and then make a turn at the end
(something like this:
2jceqeu.png
),
will the HOM appear.

Depends on how much sector scenery you put in there, your luck, and the phase of the moon. There's generally no good way to predict when and where a slime trail will appear. Long and skinny is better than long and open in this regard, and often if you put stuff in the hallway you'll have better luck (there's a reason many of the long hallways in AGZ have gargoyles on pedestals lining them), but it really does come down to luck.

The best defense against slime trails is prevention, meaning not making situations where they're likely to appear to begin with. This is the reason the majority of SRB2 maps have "rooms", where the player goes from one room through a hallway to another, blocking off line of sight between the rooms and preventing renderer hiccups.

Depends on how much sector scenery you put in there, your luck, and the phase of the moon. There's generally no good way to predict when and where a slime trail will appear. Long and skinny is better than long and open in this regard, and often if you put stuff in the hallway you'll have better luck (there's a reason many of the long hallways in AGZ have gargoyles on pedestals lining them), but it really does come down to luck.

The best defense against slime trails is prevention, meaning not making situations where they're likely to appear to begin with. This is the reason the majority of SRB2 maps have "rooms", where the player goes from one room through a hallway to another, blocking off line of sight between the rooms and preventing renderer hiccups.
Wow, I'm really glad to hear this. I've always been wondering why more experienced mappers don't have problems with slime trails and HOMs. I was at the point where I would just be making maps for srb2cb because opengl does not show slime trails.

Ok I doubt that I would come back for help with all this information provided by all of you so...
Thanks again (might be back, depends)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back