Changing starting number of lives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

742mph

My work is never done yet
Is it possible, without modifications to the source code, to change the number of lives the player starts with when starting a new game? For example, if I wanted to create a level pack that is harder than normal SRB2 and therefore increases the number of starting lives to 8, how would I do that?

You can place five 1-Ups at the start of the level. :P

It's not part of the global settings covered by the MAINCFG, so you can't do it "properly".

Ah, well. Looks like it's time to insert a few 1-up monitors and a Zoom Tube into GMZ1...

Putting 5 more lives would be problematic because they would respawn each time the player spawns. Unless you mean by the zoomtube part that you are going to make a checkpoint right after the starting point to prevent the player from regaining those extra lives.

And if you do play it in multiplayer, only 5 lives would become available. Which means that not everyone will be able to take advantage of the extra lives. (Well, modification in multiplayer isn't as important as it is in singleplayer)

What about using NoReload = 1 in the level header? Wouldn't that prevent the 1-ups from respawning if the player dies?

NoReload only keeps executed linedef executors executed. Items and such will still respawn as usual.

But you could combine NoReload with a linedef that runs this script:
Code:
devmode;
setlives whatever;
devmode
Unfortunately, this will prevent you from using save data with your mod. :(

What about using NoReload = 1 in the level header? Wouldn't that prevent the 1-ups from respawning if the player dies?
I don't really know too much info about level making and editing. I just learn how things work by playing levels in game.
When set to 1, the level will not reset when a player dies. So, for example, collectible items will not reappear and linedef executors will not be reset. This is useful for switches, for instance. Mystic Realm, in particular, uses this parameter.
I guess it could work, I'm not 100% how level headers work. Would this mean that any items you place down will not be recollectable? (For example, ring boxes, super sneakers, extra lives you place as goodies, and shields will not be recollectable?)

Wow. I just tried the level out with NoReload = 1, and it doesn't work at all. I guess I'll try the zoomtube-and-checkpoint approach.

Or you could put the lives on the zoomtube,then after the zoom tube you put a checkpoint so if respawnitem in multiplayer is on every one will be able to have lives.
Also put the end of the zoom tube in the air else they will be able to go back and regain life.

You Could put more then one zoomtube for each player (Though 32 zoomtubes sounds painful.) Then you could have a wall come down when they exit the zoomtube so they can't get back in.

Last edited:
I wound up using another solution: I created a tutorial/introductory stage that you can't die in (not even by running out of time) and can't be visited in the level select after it is completed. It contains five 1-ups that are obtained on level start (8 lives total), but since you can't die, they can't respawn.

Yes ... uh ... if it can suit your game, why not ... but it will not be funny if the player can not die.
Otherwise, the simplest thing would be to :
1) Place the lives
2) Create a path where one can pass only one side !
For example.
You put 5 lives. You put a zoom tube that works only on one side. Only on the lifes's side. At the other end, you put a cheakpoint.
==> The player dies ? He returned to cheakpoint. And he can not use the zoom tube to resume lives because it does not work on the side of cheakpoint !
You just gotta find an idea that is in the style "A path where the player can pass only in one side !"

I must say that your idea is a bit farfetched. Put 5 lives before the eyes of the player ... it's a bit too superficial.

The player can only not die in the tutorial/introductory stage. In the rest of the game, they can. The 1-ups only appear at the start of the introductory stage, they are hidden the rest of the time. And yes, the introductory stage can only be played in single player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back