What is your ping grade/Speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okay, that's much better.
I wonder why it chose a server so far away the first time?

Meh...

Last edited:
Screen on:

Screen off:

Seriously can't quite believe how much a difference to my internet speed simply turning off the screen does. o_O

[IMAGES]

Seriously can't quite believe how much a difference to my internet speed simply turning off the screen does. o_O

That's, coincidence. Seriously.

Unless you're running on a potato, turning your screen off won't change your broadband speed... If you can call it broadband.

Unless you're running on a potato, turning your screen off won't change your broadband speed... If you can call it broadband.

I'm afraid it can't be concidence at this point. I've been exploiting turning off the screen to download stuff/load sites much faster than usual since Christmas Day now, and it works like a charm. Yes, I'm serious. =V

Getting the feeling somehow my monitor is somehow dragging down the speed in some manner. But then, I really don't know what's going on with it.

Last edited:
This is nigh on impossible, your PC doesn't even know if it's on or off.
So how does my computer know how many screens are available for a multi-screen setup and screen switching(available, not connected; if one of them is off, I cannot switch to it), what resolution those monitors use, and what drivers they need? Magic? I don't know what you're smoking Cue, but I want some.

Even if that weren't totally wrong though, my grandma's laptop doesn't know anything about our refrigerator, but that won't stop its connection from crapping out if I put the fridge between it and the WAP. Whether or not you are currently considering a method by which turning off his monitor could cause his apparent connection speed is irrelevant; it just happens to be the case, and you don't know anything about his network setup that could let you say what is and isn't possible. :P

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cue

Well if the computer is engineered in a way (a poor way) where the brightness of the screen degrades the power going to the network card, then maybe that might be the reason. What brand is your computer, Monster Iestyn?

Originally Posted by Cue
This is nigh on impossible, your PC doesn't even know if it's on or off.

Actually it does. Most computers have a setting in the BIOS that allow them to turn on at a certain time, or another setting such as "Wake on LAN".
I'll use the following quote because a fell off laughing from it:
Originally Posted by Prime 2.0
I don't know what you're smoking Cue, but I want some.

Now for something on topic:
this is my slower router of the 2 I have

Yea, I know this router sucks. I will post the results on the other router later.

Last edited:
Near:
2412161351.png

74987478.png

Far:
2412170844.png

74988083.png

Well if the computer is engineered in a way (a poor way) where the brightness of the screen degrades the power going to the network card, then maybe that might be the reason. What brand is your computer, Monster Iestyn?

Actually it does. Most computers have a setting in the BIOS that allow them to turn on at a certain time, or another setting such as "Wake on LAN".

Brightness of screen is on the screen, not the PC. They're completely independent.

So how does my computer know how many screens are available for a multi-screen setup and screen switching(available, not connected; if one of them is off, I cannot switch to it), what resolution those monitors use, and what drivers they need? Magic? I don't know what you're smoking Cue, but I want some.

Even when you turn the screen off (switch/standby not plug), it's still detected by the PC, no? Exactly. The PC will output a signal to it even on standby.

Even when you turn the screen off (switch/standby not plug), it's still detected by the PC, no? Exactly. The PC will output a signal to it even on standby.
This does not even remotely address the ability for the computer to decide that you cannot switch to it in a multi-monitor setup, so there's "exactly" about it. The computer knows quite well whether or not my screen is turned on, even with an old CRT.

This does not even remotely address the ability for the computer to decide that you cannot switch to it in a multi-monitor setup, so there's "exactly" about it. The computer knows quite well whether or not my screen is turned on, even with an old CRT.

The PC still sends a signal to, and detects, a monitor on standby.

I have three here, and they're sure as hell all still having a signal sent to them and are detected when I turn two off.

The PC still sends a signal to, and detects, a monitor on standby.

I have three here, and they're sure as hell all still having a signal sent to them and are detected when I turn two off.
What are you even trying to say anymore? Everything above was a response to your assertion that MI's computer couldn't possibly know whether or not his monitor is turned off, and you just admitted that it can while still somehow being argumentative about it. Since this still somehow hasn't been resolved and has almost nothing to do with the topic, I'm stopping it before it gets even more ridiculous and off-rails. If anyone wants to continue this discussion, take it to private messaging or IRC or something; any future posts made in this topic about Cue's comments on MI's strange monitor situation or the argument that followed will be infracted.

Carry on.

Last edited:
cGB2nft.png

I decided to try out that pingtest.net. And its pretty damn good. Anyway that how my internet. But makes me wonder why it can't test out my packet loss though. Even after I turned off my firewall it still won't test it. And the date is wrong on it also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back