Yet Another 2.1 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoganA

Administrator
Administrator
Sonic Team Junior
Posted by Mystic on 08-13-2013 09:00 AM.

It’s been a few months since we updated, so I guess it’s about time we came back with another reminder that yes, we are indeed still working on 2.1, despite all reports to the contrary. As always, click on the images for a higher resolution shot, and everything here is subject to change by release time.

Here’s a shot of the final room of Arid Canyon Zone, showing the alternate path that didn’t exist in 2.0.X. A lot of sections throughout the game have had similar modifications to try to fix the difficulty curve and make it more reasonable.

Those who have been playing SRB2 for some time will no doubt recognize Aerial Garden Zone, a hidden stage in 2.0.X. It has been updated slightly in visuals, including a simple sky ripped from Sonic Advance, as well as tweaked for difficulty and bugfixes. Because of the removal of Red’s room in CEZ2, there is a new method for unlocking AGZ in 2.1.

2.1 includes a new character selection option: Sonic & Tails. Just like the classic games, this causes Tails to follow you around, eternally trying to catch up while getting hit by everything for your amusement. If you have set Player 2 controls up, you can even take control of him directly to fly yourself around.

2.1 supports tallpatches, which allow extremely large graphics to be inserted into the game without issue, as demonstrated in this test WAD of an extremely large, single-patch texture built out of various images of the Yakumo family. The things in the foreground are also using sprites beyond the old size limitations.

Techno Hill Zone, Act 2′s reworking for 2.1 continues onward, reworking the level to play better with the new slime and updating the visuals. This screenshot demonstrates the new look of the slime room at the end of the stage, along with some new content in the background. Please forgive the HOM, as certain parts of the stage haven’t quite gotten cleaned up, and the stage is very much still a work in progress.

Here’s another screenshot of THZ2, showing off an all-new outdoor area, demonstrating the usage of skyboxes in a more dramatic fashion. As with the other screenshot, this area is still very much a work in progress.

As a reminder, if you’re looking for even more 2.1 information, check out the Version 2.1 page on the Wiki.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've had a few bad 2.1 threads recently, so this is an administrative notice that this thread will be aggressively moderated. Discussing known information and speculating based on that information is okay, but don't go on tangents or make baseless speculation or absurd claims. To start off the thread, here are the answers to the questions I KNOW half of you are dying to ask yet again:

1. There is no release date. Asking will not change that.
2. The netcode is still just as shitty as it was in 2.0.X.

Since that's already answered, we don't need to go over it again. With your cooperation, we can actually have a lively, intelligent discussion instead of senseless begging, and I'm pretty sure that's what you all want too, not just me.

aug13b-300x187.png

This looks way better than the previous AGZ, I'm glad to see that you guys even added a new sky texture.

Also:
aug13f-300x187.png

The outdoor theme for CHZ looks quite similar to CPZ from Sonic 2.

Finally this has been done, I thought you guys would never change this.
aug13d-300x187.png

Also, in case anyone asks, the weird monster things in the tall patches image are borrowed from the ZDoom mod Harmony, as they were the example used on the Doom Wiki, and as such the example we tested against. Neither they nor the giant Touhou wall will be in the final product.

(I still don't like how THZ changes from a sunset stage to a nighttime one between acts.)

I'm digging the new THZ. The ceiling lighting was a nice touch. I imagine tallpatches will be used for new bosses.

*Puts on sunglasses*
Mother of God...
SO MUCH WANT! SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
*Throws money at screen making grabby hands*

-

In seriousness, this looks like it's going to be fucking awesome when it DOES come out. No idea WHEN this will come, but er... looking forward to it. Yes. Very much so.

I do not have much to say about the alternate path in Arid Canyon except that I am looking forward to exploring it.

Aerial Garden looks as impressive as ever, especially with its updated visuals. It will be nice to play through the updated version whenever this version gets released.

I remember reading about the Sonic & Tails option before and I see it as a welcome addition still, so I have nothing else to add on to that.

Tallpatches is something I am especially looking forward to, I feel that it is going to lead to some interesting ideas being used. Any possibility of it being used in the main game itself? I know for instance that Brak Eggman is one likely candidate that will be using tallpatches unless nothing about that boss will be changed except for its location if Dark City is ever made.

The new Techno Hill Act 2 is looking really good right now, especially in the second screenshot. Techno Hill Zone is looking like it is going to be a very fun zone to trek through with its new gimmick and design. This zone looks like a huge step up visually from the previous times we saw it as well as being a huge step up from how the zones we normally see in the current release in general with its usage of textures and the skybox.

Will Arid Canyon Zone and Red Volcano Zone get updated down the line much like Techno Hill Zone and Castle Eggman Zone did? I know that Act 2 for Arid Canyon Zone already have attempts that were started and Red Volcano Zone Act 2 will be a volcano theme similar to Act 1, but I am wondering if Act 1 in both zones will be updated to the same extent Castle Eggman Zone as far as visuals and certain gimmicks or obstacles being reworked if needed.

Overall this has me very excited for the new version, keep up the good work.

Will Arid Canyon Zone and Red Volcano Zone get updated down the line much like Techno Hill Zone and Castle Eggman Zone did? I know that Act 2 for Arid Canyon Zone already have attempts that were started and Red Volcano Zone Act 2 will be a volcano theme similar to Act 1, but I am wondering if Act 1 in both zones will be updated to the same extent Castle Eggman Zone as far as visuals and certain gimmicks or obstacles being reworked if needed.
I'm not sure why ACZ1 would need significant reworking. As for RVZ1, I'm sure it will receive more revamps along the way (in fact, it received some for 2.1).

I'm not sure why ACZ1 would need significant reworking. As for RVZ1, I'm sure it will receive more revamps along the way (in fact, it received some for 2.1).

ACZ1 does not necessarily need significant reworking since it is a solid level and stands up pretty well in the current version, but I do wonder if it does not stand up to the other zones in the version all that well will it be touched up, mainly visually. But yeah, thank you for answering my question about RVZ1.

Against the far wall in this picture, I seem to see a platforming section full of spring turtles leading upwards. If that is correct, I just wanted to say that I think it looks pretty neat.

In this picture I see "GGG Corp" on the building. Is that related to something in game? Or perhaps one of the developers? Or just random?
EDIT: Nevermind. Probably says "EGG Corp". Derp.

Last edited:
I'm just casually awaiting the moment when 2.1 actually IS released. The reactions of players will probably be even bigger than previous major version updates. Like just a major hype. Can't blame them though, this stuff does look REALLY sweet.

The thing I really do like the sound of is the whole tallpatches thing.

Question, will it fix the resize error? (Like when someone is resized and you go close to them, their face and sprite just drops down like water out of a bucket.)

Also it's better when you don't have a release date. o3o No rushing, and it's a complete surprise when it eventually does poof into the public.

Question: Have the glitchy, horizontally-moving PolyObject platforms been removed from ACZ?

Edit: And, that would be a yes. I didn't notice the addition to the 2.1 wiki page.

Last edited:
From what I can see here and on the wiki, here's what I have to say and ask.

PROS:
  • Very mod-friendly (Better SOC format, Lua, tall patches, more vanilla textures to work with)
  • Vastly improved aesthetics/decoration from what I've seen -- the levels look absolutely gorgeous compared to previous versions
  • More skies, shield sprites, and other things -- variety is nice

CONS:
  • AGZ's new sky is a nice addition, but it needs some editing done to it. It looks a bit low-res, and the grass in the sky doesn't match the grass in the level. Also, the checkerboard gradients in the sky look awful, and should be replaced with smoother ones (even if this means changing the sky color from cyan to light blue, I'm sure it'd be much better). I realize it's a rip and not custom-made, but editing it would make it look better. After all, we're gonna be seeing it for nearly all of the level!

QUESTIONS:
  • Just how nerfed is Tails' flight? I understand the things such as spin- and strafe-flight were removed, but will this make flying across distances horribly tedious? Also, have any other things been changed such as strafe-spinning?
  • Can Lua create new HUD items, and if not, can it replace existing ones?
  • Are any of the new things (tall patches, skyboxes, etc.) OpenGL-compatible? (Reason I ask is because I get bad framerate in Software, but in OpenGL I don't have this issue)
  • The wiki states that skidding uses standing frames. If so, is there any way to make them use custom frames if your character has them?
Question, will it fix the resize error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back