Flooded Cove Zone (scr_floodedcove.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure Hawk

Flooded Cove:
Longer than serenity cloud zone anyway. Flooded cove is a greenflower zone themed watery level, but it's raining and things. Screenies:
srb20009ds4.png

srb20010ma6.png

srb20011no5.png

srb20012pk4.png

Download:
http://www.pechupechuproject.co.uk/srb2/scr_floodedcove.wad

Serenity Cloud:

This is something that I have been working on for about 4 weeks now. It will probably be the first level to a new level pack that I am doing in my spare time. I'll just add more levels to it as I do them. Act is almost done, just a few bugs to iron out, and I still need to finish the second half. Anyway.

Screenies:
srb20002tu4.png

srb20003qo7.png

srb20006vs5.png

srb20007of5.png

And now for the download link:
http://www.pechupechuproject.co.uk/srb2/sc_serenitycloud.wad

Enjoy

EDIT: Removed the duplicate screens, and removed a few others as well.
EDIT2: I have added the second act. I wont show screens, but it's basically the same as the first act. It is more detailed, and also is still short. I will round this off with a boss, and then maybe make another zone to go with it.

Azure Hawk

Can't criticize level structure until I play it, but I wonder why nobody ever tries to use some custom textures, especially when it is an overused theme.

From the screenies it looks like Areal Garden Zone Act 34. I'd still be willing to give it a try though, so I'll give some feedback later. I'd just recommend experimenting with textures so it doesn't look so familiar. ;)

Aerial Garden Zone has 34 Acts? No wonder I could never collect all the emblems! How do you enter Acts 5-34?*shot*

JEV3 said:
Can't criticize level structure until I play it, but I wonder why nobody ever tries to use some custom textures, especially when it is an overused theme.
Because the only people who actually know how to add custom textures to their WADs don't actually make levels that often. There's always the possibility of using custom textures by pointing Doom Builder to an external resource WAD, though. You just have to point out in your first post that the level needs a specific resource to work properly.

This level is a tad short, and the exit sector is located in a strange spot. You've practically shown the entire level in your screenshots, which is a bad thing. It leaves nowhere to be explored. Also, you might want to get rid of the random death pits. I jumped down a small hole, hoping to be greeted with a secret area. Death pit. I was caught off-guard by the crumbling platforms, which was a welcome surprise.
The level was a somewhat enjoyable experience, but you might want to look at the advantages and disadvantages of certain textures and design your level around their strengths. For example, the Deep Sea Zone texture set excels at squarish levels, with a few exceptions to shake things up.

Meh, it was sorta short. And I agree with Boinciel, the exit sector is in a weird spot. Gets a 6/10, not bad Azure Hawk, not bad at all.

Oh, gosh. This is some of the best layout I have seen ever. There's so many way to do things, and the alternate routes are all packed nicely in one package.

However, the downside was in the finer points. For instance, some of the sectors were a bit bland. A few flowers would be nice, although a bigger problem was how skinny the platforms are. Argh, fancy footwork isn't a strength I'd like to use very often.

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone. I have taken what you said and I am implementing it into act 2, which will be a little longer, with some nice surprises...

I'll look into pegging, and keep the many paths.

Azure Hawk

NEW! I have finished flooded cove act 1, the next zone in the level pack.
The serenity cloud boss can be done when I can be bothered to do it, as Boss arena's usually are rubbish.

Flooded cove has lots of cool stuff, so check out the first post.

Flooded Cove wasn't too bad. I've seen a lot of half-arse levels pass through here, and I was surprised to see that this one was actually worth commenting on. Your level isn't terribly cramped, and you seem to be able to do basic levelmaking stuff. And you even attempted to give the player more than one way to run through the level. This is good. But, there are things that you need to watch out for:

*Some parts of the level are waaay too "smallish"-the small ledge that you walk across near the end, and jumping into the tiny hole comes to mind. make this stuff larger-give the player something easier to run on.

*Make the stuff in the map neater-check your water blocks, overpowered water springs, off-center textures, random ring placement, etc.

*Put a few monitors in your maps-ring monitors are great for those places that just take up space.

There are other things, but those are the things that stuck out for me the most. Not great, but not awful, either. May I suggest taking more time on your maps?

Wow, I completely forgot that I had posted this topic. Thanks for the comment Kuja, and I am definatly going to release a new zone soon. Dont forget to take a look at the level pack topic over in the editing forum. Serenity cloud is included in there

(Raw mobius, BTW)

I'm looking into lot's of new stuff that you can do with Lindef Executors.

Azure Hawk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back