Official Level Design Contest: September-December

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Mystic actually HAS something for you to vote on.

I figured something was up when I'd not noticed the contest - had no idea it was this, though. Wow, that'd suck. Hope you get it sorted out - some new levels would be nice in an ever-growing sea of crappy character WADs.

Without a grace period, starting the contest immediately after Mystic's e-mail gets fixed would mean that people would complain that their maps didn't make it in. Undoubtedly some maps were lost when his e-mail broke.

To prevent complaints, my guess is that this contest will be skipped. Rather than being a November/December contest, the next contest will probably be a September/October/November/December contest, to give those who sent maps for this contest a chance to send them in again. I recall a double-contest being done in the past, so I think this outcome is very likely.

In any case, Mystic's not around on Fridays and Saturdays, so we're not going to know for a bit of time :).

Personally I'd make it a September/October/November thing if worse came to worse, and then follow it up with an extremely short one-month contest like ye olde days before resuming our usual bimonthly schedule.

Hey, it could work! But it's probably not going to get to the point where it's necessary. I do kind of miss the monthly thing, but this bimonthly thing works too - plus it means we can have more than one or two divisions... Either way, extending a contest to FOUR months would be absolute murder as far as waiting goes, so I doubt that's how it'll all go down.

The issue is more that I can't access my e-mail data, not that it's completely down. I can't connect to the server to check for new mail. I have all the old submissions, but because all the submissions come in 6:59 PM on the 31st, I can't get the main bulk of the submissions.

Should the e-mail remain down beyond November 14th, I'm simply going to merge this contest with the next one, and we'll have a September-December contest, and ask for everyone to simply resubmit the lost material to a new location.

Sorry about this, but it's completely out of my control as well.

Welp, It's the 14th. Maybe I'll revive my mapping status and submit a few things. Most likely simple match maps. Or I can spend the next two months getting better and better at match, and doing diddly squat like always ;)

Maybe we should start double sending submissions, like to both FF and Mystic. Or start using something that isn't as flighty as Sepwich for the contest emails.

<Neo_Chaotikal> Hey, look, it's Mystic.
<Neo_Chaotikal> So yeah, status report?
<Mystic> On what? My e-mail is still down if that's what you're asking
<Digiku> So no contest 'til December then?
<Digiku> (January, actually)
<Mystic> Yes. The deadline will be January 1st, and hopefully I will come up with a good method of sending the entries that doesn't involve a borked e-mail
<Digiku> Nuts.
<Digiku> Well, at least that's that
<Neo_Chaotikal> Can't you just have FuriousFox handle it or something?
<Neo_Chaotikal> I mean, he's always around
<Mystic> If FF wants to do it, I have no problem letting him do it
<Neo_Chaotikal> Okay then, I'll tell him that as soon as I see him
<Senku> oh the whole contest being canceled and all?
<Neo_Chaotikal> Not cancelled, just merged with the next one
<Mystic> January 1st is judging
<Flame_the_hedgehog> I have to resend my entries to FuriousFox now? O_o?
<Neo_Chaotikal> No.
<Neo_Chaotikal> This is just a possibility
<Neo_Chaotikal> Nothing's official yet
<Neo_Chaotikal> You may end up sending them to Mystic again, if his e-mail gets back up by New Year's Ever or something o.o'
<Mystic> We'll figure it out, but I'm not dealing with it right now
Highlights:

1. Mystic's e-mail still doesn't work.
2. The September/October contest is cancelled. It will be merged with the November/December contest.
3. The new deadline is January 1st.
4. Judging will probably start in the beginning of January too.
5. Certain plans may be set for the next contest, such as having FF handling all the entries, but nothing's set in stone yet. I wouldn't bother sending anything in until further instructions are given.
6. I was right. :)

Not to get off topic here, but I'm thinking about entering a level that might get disqualified. I was thinking of entering a level with all the emeralds concentrated in one spot. Also, characters without a spindash won't last a second in this map. And finally, this map finishes with an exit sector. So are these ideas in the disqualification zone?
Edit: It's circut.

You can't really 'prove' something like that, but try this. Note the negative replies.

Also, any other 'All 7 emeralds in one spot' map you come across will undoubtedly serve as a prime example of a contest-bouncer. No matter what anyone tells you, they're never, ever good. Matter of fact, any wad that's been created since the Releases forum's conception (Which wasn't made by either Mystic, Tets, FuriousFox or Digiku) is a good example of how not to make a wad in general, but I digress.

Have you ever noticed that the transformation only happens in certain sectors (specified as a sector effect) and you dead stop in your tracks?
Circut + Hyper tranformation midway = Suck
Also, the Tails and Knux users get their headstart.
Also, it seems like you foucused you negativity on the emeralds. You're telling me you have nothing to say about the spindash = 0 characters or the level exit sector?
Oh, and did I say circut already?

Ritz said:
Matter of fact, any wad that's been created since the Releases forum's conception (Which wasn't made by either Mystic, Tets, FuriousFox or Digiku) is a good example of how not to make a wad in general, but I digress.
Thanks. :E

BlueZero4 said:
Oh, and did I say circut already?
BlueZero4 said:
Yes you did. Yet, I still have no idea what a 'circut' is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back