Official Level Design Contest Voting: May/June

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know.......I put lots of "HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" That was fun, but I tried to keep it as less mean as possible. That's why I had fun with it! I hope I didn't hurt anyones feelings.

I don't think you get the point, random string of punctuation marks. You're supposed to play a netgame of the stages in order for your votes to count. Also, your single player votes are obviously skewed. You should generally play several rounds all the way through or at least signficantly far into the stage enough to get a general opinion of a level.

Votes from someone who clearly didn't play the level on the intended gametype will be ignored.

Single-Player

Jungle Japes - 2

The inner area is certainly the better part. However, it suffers from narrow corridors that mostly lead back onto themselves anyway, and no clear visual cues to suggest that teleporters are what they are, nor what the switches are meant to do.

SonicT2DRealm - 4

SRB2's 2D mode looks quite nice, but playing it never feels quite right. The levels also don't really have any obstacles, reminding me a little of the "hold right and press shift a few times" syndrome that afflicted many early Sonic fan games. Novel, though.

Gravity - 3

Kind of fun once I got the hang of it, but very awkward and very difficult.

Los Gehts - 8

Truly inspired layout. I felt I had to take a little off it for being unfinished, but still, fantastic work.

Arid Ruins - 8

Great work, as ever. If Los Gehts was a little on the open side, then this perhaps encloses the player just a little much, but I can't fault it for that. The only possible suggestion I can think of is 'more', but as it is, it makes a nice Act 1 sort of a level.

Magma Base - 5

Some of the rocky areas were a little precipitous, I thought. The starposts have been remarked on already. Also, the difficulty varied a little too much, I felt. Certainly not bad, though; the layout had a nice feel to it in places.

Techno Peak 2 - 5

Some places felt a litte empty. Others I felt didn't direct me sufficiently. The paths forked in some good places, though.

Waterfall Valley 2 - 7

The river is a nice touch. My only complaint is that I didn't feel there was quite enough opportunity to deviate from the path and explore for an Act 2. Very nearly an 8.

Rocky Pass - n/a

I felt I didn't vary the main path up to the first starpost enough; also, I left the second section too open. And the rising water was a little silly. Out of curiosity, has anyone found the secret exit, yet? :)

Match

Geyser Garden - 6

A nice size, and plenty of rings. A little too difficult to get to the edges (the raised parts, I mean) as Sonic, though.

Sunken Mine - 5

It's a nice idea, but a little too mazey, I think. Also, the wooden-textured parts, while looking nice, made moving around difficult.

College Showdown - 0

Ee, I feel mean giving a zero, but... rings! And having all four weapon rings, too. The layout was also too open.

Soul Calibur - 1

It might just work for a while in a one-on-one match, but not at all otherwise.

Zim's Bathroom - 6

Refreshing, but problems with the layout (vertical difference too great) brings the score down a little.

Hell Angel - 5

Definitely a Tails map, this one. However, it still turned into a fight to control the central platform. There wasn't much reason to leave it.

Unsafe Warehouse - 6

Small, and perhaps very slightly low on rings, but plays reasonably well. The slime was too easy to fall into, though.

Watery Death - 4

Too big! Also, there was insufficient space between platforms to see the death pits approaching.

Treetop Inanity - 2

The teleporters and the death pit (falling through grass? O_o) reduced matters to little more than luck. It must've done, as I was in first place for fully a minute in one round of playing this...

Underground Pool - 6

Weapon rings placed nicely here, and reasonably fun to play, but lacking interest somewhat.

Greenflower Match - 7

Simple, but works rather well. Maybe fractionally short on rings.

Thermal Ravine - 1

Unavoidable death pits are bad.

Triangular Terraces - 5

Very large, but this worked well in Mystic's über-games. The two automatic rings were far too close together, though, and the layout wasn't quite varied enough.

One Way Ticket - 1

The fireballs cause the same sort of problem as Thermal Ravine has, but somewhat less severely. Couple that with framerate troubles, and...

Lava Valley - 4

As has been remarked, there's little benefit to leaving the edges, primarily because doing so is so difficult.

Glacier Temple - 7

I was quite fond of this one. Ice makes a change in match, and the size is good. It would've been nice to see an intermediate-height tier too, though.

Bunker Hills - 7

Plenty of rings together with its large size make this map rather fun. I felt there should've been a greater incentive to move to the lower area, though; it would've varied play a bit.

Sheltered Waterfall - n/a

I built this level around the tunnels. I left it with far too few rings, which I'm somewhat annoyed at myself for, as it's easily remedied. Also, I think it's too vertical.

Leavey Wood - 4

Not enough rings, unfortunately, and the layout was a touch tricky to navigate at times.

Snowy Valley - 3

Too small for most of the netgames I played on it, although I imagine it could've been better with up to about four players. Too many bomb rings, too.

Shoreline Dunes - 5

Potentially a good map, but let down by a few problems. Layout was skewed, and there were no DM starts.

Capture the Flag

Meadow Dome - 7

Great idea. I think that the corridors are a little too thin; also, one alternative route would've helped. Very fun, though.

Lily Pads - n/a

This was originally intended for the previous contest, and at the time I designed it, I'd hardly played any CTF games at all. This led me to make the fairly egregious error of placing the flags about one second away from the base entrances. I think it'd also have benefited from being longer and wider.

Single Player

Gravity 3 - Prime 2.0 - 2/10
This one's a no-go. Springs that send you flying through opaque water into a crawla making you get hurt and fall to the ceiling pit above isn't what I call fun. No, it's not a good concept that isn't applied correctly, it's just plain bad.

Magma Base - Blue Blur - 6/10
I like this level. Though a bit basic, it has lots of open space to explore. I had a lot of fun bouncing on all the crawlas! I didn't like the fact that you needed the invincibility monitor to cross the slime at the end, this compromises racing in the map.

Sonict2DRealm - Sonict - 3/10
Okay, I'll be blunt here. 2D Mode sucks. Very much. Stop pretending it doesn't. Furthermore, while playing this wad, I felt something was missing. Then I realised what it was. What happened to the enemies, Sonict? Last but not least, the boss was nothing more than a dirty, filthy HOM.

Jungle Japes - GCFreak - 1/10
*jump jump jump WARP* You sure have a thing for repetition.

Arid Ruins - Tets - 7/10
I was really surprised this was Tets' work. Honestly, after Chaos Zone, I'm a bit disappointed. The stage is filled with tiny passages that don't make Sonic any justice. It has its purks, don't get me wrong, such as the sand contraptions that were obviously eye-candy. However, the overall feel of the level just doesn't reach that of Aero Shrine and the like. Nonetheless, good show.

Rocky Pass - Oogaland - 9/10
Arguably, my favourite entry to this contest. It's a very pretty, richly detailed and quite large stage, to which I can't really find anything wrong. The emblems were a plus too, since I love hunting down those things =P

Los Gehts - Penopat - 6/10
You're on the right track, Penopat. Los Gehts was very good. Nothing to complain, really, except for the friction on the ice and some rather cramped passages. It's certainly not 10 material, but you're getting there.

Waterfall Valley 2 - FuriousFox - 8/10
It's a bit linear, but that isn't always bad. Waterfall Valley 2 flows rather well, you can take the time to explore the stage or head straight to the goal, it's your choice. I feel that most of the lakes (especially those atop of the waterfalls) are rather empty, though. Some small circular ring formations would do wonders. Also, THERE'S NO SECRET HERE.

Techno Peak 2 - Ree-c - 6/10
Ree-c always manages to create the strangest of all the submissions. You can't really compare his work to that of the rest - it's just a different world. Some faulty nodes here and there break some walls in OpenGL, but overall the map plays well. It's sometimes difficult to understand what the hell you're supposed to be doing, though, but hey, it was made with love~

Match

Geyser Garden - Senku - 6/10
Haha. The currents sure make for a different gameplay, and the map is good to be enjoyed in a small netgame. It quickly turns too small for larger games, though.

Sunken Mine - Senku - 3/10
Due to the circumstances in which this map was tested (read: Mystic), this was actually fun, since the waterfalls block your view and stuff. But let's face it, this map sucks. It's small, cramped, it's a maze and the rings are short and scattered.

College Showdown - GCFreak - 0/10
Unplayable. Too big, no objects.

Soul Calibur - Bouncey - 0/10
Unplayable. Too small, no objects.

Zim's Bathroom - Sonict - 7/10
I liked hogging the Rail and sniping on those bouncing off the springs, I admit. The map is certainly large and has lots of different places to fight. It's built for a big netgame, and it certainly works there. But, ignoring the contest for a bit, just a little thing: Zim's Bathroom? o_O

Hell Angel - Sonict - 1/10
'Hell' is the keyword. This map suffers from every problem possible. Probably playable in a 1 on 1 match or something, but do those exist?

Unsafe Warehouse - a441 - 3/10
Too small; not enough rings; yadda yadda.

Watery Death - a441 - 4/10
Too big; not enough rings; you broke the renderer, and so on.

Treetop Inanity - a441 - 0/10
lol

Underground Pool - a441 - 6/10
This one was incredibly fun for some reason. Probably has to do with camping the weapons and creaming any outsiders that come, robbing them of their own.

Greenflower Match - Shuffle - 4/10
Oh no! It's the map based off the original stage but yet does everything wrong! Hell, I won't be rough with you. It's not every day we see a map come from you, is it? I guess it's kinda okay, but a bit short and low on ammo.

Thermal Ravine - Kineso - 1/10
I can't come up with the words that describe this experience. Instead I shall recite an ancient Irish poem.. but.. oh okay

Triangular Terraces - Blue Blur - 3/10
It's big. Very big. And it's not coming to get you. Oh, and it has a faulty wall. Yes, a faulty wall. That stretches all over the screen. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

One Way Ticket - 1-Up - 0/10
Unplayable.

Lava Valley - Ree-c - 6/10
Okay, okay, he likes slopes. But we don't have any yet. So stop faking them. Other than that, the only real gripe I have is the size and the fact that 80% of the monitors like magma bathing.

Glacier Temple - Ree-c - 8/10
All this map really needed was more rings. Really.

Bunkerhills - Chabo - 5/10
This was... odd. But fun, nonetheless. You just have to be a little less excentric about your level design.

Sheltered Waterfall - Oogaland - 6/10
This map was really wide and ample. Sometimes a little too wide and ample. The lake with the bobbing platforms often presented a challenge to get out of, but the rest of the level went well.

Leavey Wood - Penopat - 4/10
Too many layers. People just aren't gonna climb all the way to the top. Also, there was a slight ring shortage.

Snowy Valley - CZ64 - 5/10
AUGH MY EYES. But I won't comment on the red sky, I think that issue's been resolved. The map is somewhat small and lacks rings. The platform in the center is so obviously eye-candy, it's not even funny.

Sentogo Shore - Senku - 3/10
This map would rather be a Single Player map. There are several problems with it, though, such as the broken water and the small caves and the odd coagulation of rings and stuff.

Capture the Flag

Meadow Dome - Chabo - 6/10
As was said, the idea is original and flows well, but the map itself needs lots of work.

Lily Pads - Oogaland - 8/10
Loved it. Some problems, as were referred, such as the flag being too close to to entrance, a too low ceiling which nerfs your jumps and the trees that go all the way to the top.

Done in a bit of a hurry, but hell, it's the numbers that count in the end.

I've only played some of them, but I'll vote on what I can.

MAP01 - Geyser Garden - Senku - 8/10
Really nice scenery, and a nice level overall. My only real concern is the Homing-Rail. Very annoying, Bomb would probably work better in this level.

MAP02 - Sunken Mine - Senku - 8/10
This one proved to be alot better than I expected. I only played it in a Mysticserv, where it was really nice. It probably wouldn't work very well in small games, but I didn't get to test it in a small one. Love how the waterfalls obstructed your view.

MAP03 - College Showdown - GCFreak - 1/10
Several people seem to be convinced that this one had no rings, it had rings, just not many. You also had to go searching to find the rings. Pretty much unplayable.

MAP05 - Zim's Bathroom - Sonict - 9/10
This one was a rather nice one. We don't see much use of those Zim textures. The level is designed rather well. My only concern is how hard it was to escape the toilet. Also, the sewer lid texture didn't go good on the basin.

MAP06 - Hell Angel - Sonict - 2/10
As has been said, it turned into a battle for the center platform. It's a nice theme, but it didn't work out quite well. The lava should either be actual lava, or a death pit.

MAP07 - Unsafe Warehouse - a441 - 8/10
Who named this place? But that's beside the point. A rather nice level, I found myself falling into the slime alot. It took me awhile to figure out how to get to the lower area without getting slimed, I never did figure out how to get out without getting slimed. Aside from being a candidate for most stupidly named levels, rather nice. I don't think I've ever actually seen someone put water into pipes.

MAP08 - Watery Death - a441 - 3/10
Wa-ay too big. Even in a Mysticserv I had to go searching for my opponents. As a result there were some software mode rendering errors. Despite this, the scenery was rather nice.

MAP09 - Treetop Inanity - a441 - 9/10
Majorly chaotic level. 200 teleporters in one spot can be rather fun though. I found I was able to hurt my opponents scores by gliding around beneath the tree and waiting for a teleporter. I also found myself getting teleported onto the wrong end of a redring. I was both saved and screwed by all the teleports.

MAP10 - Underground Pool - a441 - 7/10
Neatly designed, but there didn't seem to be any reason to enter the central area. I also found it impossible to get a ring in a large netgame.

MAP11 - Greenflower Match - Shuffle - 7/10
It's based on an official level, which I find boring, but it was still rather fun. The bomb ring just worked here for some reason.

MAP13 - Triangular Terraces - Blue Blur - 8/10
Not much to say here, I had to go searching to find my opponents. But several times I was able to pull of a sneak attack, which was pretty neat. Overal a rather nice level.

MAP14 - One Way Ticket - 1-Up - 0/10
In one player, very laggy. In multiplayer, crashes the game. Totally unplayable. Found a few screwed up linedefs, and the colormap went over the slime.

MAP16 - Glacier Temple - ree-c - 7/10
Lovely scenery. The ice was a tad annoying, but rather fun. That arctic sky would've been perfect here, as starry skys make it look like floating castles are in space, with the exception of the arctic sky. A nice looking level. I don't recall ever finding any weapon rings though.

MAP17 - Bunker Hills - Chabo - 8/10
I must admit I didn't expect this one to play very well. But I was wrong. It played nicely. There was no real reason to enter the lower portion of the level though.

MAP18 - Sheltered Waterfall - Oogaland - 8/10
This was a suprisingly fun one. Whenever I fell off the waterfall, I for some reason just wanted to get back up there. The tunnels were a nice place for a battle too.

Yes, I'm pretty leanient on my scores.

Single Player:
Gravity - Prime 2.0 - 58561527332 = 4.27
Magma Base - Blue Blur - 878856666556 = 6.33
SonicT2DRealm - Sonict - 277N35454543 = 4.70
Jungle Japes - GCFreak - 2N4623443321 = 3.30
Arid Ruins - Tets - 99N997786887 = 8.10
Rocky Pass - Oogaland - 7X99777799N9 = 8.30
Los Gehts - Penopat - 89889N678986 = 8.00
Waterfall Valley 2 - FuriousFox - 898887886878 = 7.75
Techno Peak 2 - ree-c - 887776785656 = 6.67

Match:
MAP01 - Geyser Garden - Senku - 7757668 = 6.57
MAP02 - Sunken Mine - Senku - 5744538 = 5.14
MAP03 - College Showdown - GCFreak - 100001 = 0.33
MAP04 - Soul Calibur - Bouncy - 112010 = 0.83
MAP05 - Zim's Bathroom - Sonict - N754679 = 6.80
MAP06 - Hell Angel - Sonict - N863512 = 4.80
MAP07 - Unsafe Warehouse - a441 - 6765638 = 5.86
MAP08 - Watery Death - a441 - 2762443 = 4.00
MAP09 - Treetop Inanity - a441 - 1540209 = 3.00
MAP10 - Underground Pool - a441 - 6856667 = 6.29
MAP11 - Greenflower Match - Shuffle - 575747 = 5.83
MAP12 - Thermal Ravine - Kineso - 14211 = 1.80
MAP13 - Triangular Terraces - Blue Blur - 555538 = 5.17
MAP14 - One Way Ticket - 1-Up - 00100 = 0.20
MAP15 - Lava Valley - ree-c - 66446 = 5.20
MAP16 - Glacier Temple - ree-c - 676787 = 6.83
MAP17 - Bunker Hills - Chabo - 567758 = 6.33
MAP18 - Sheltered Waterfall - Oogaland - 678N68 = 7.25
MAP19 - Leavey Wood - Penopat - 65444 = 4.60
MAP20 - Snowy Valley - Chaos Zero 64 - 5335 = 4.00
MAP21 - Shoreline Dunes - Senku - 56553 = 4.80

Capture the Flag:
MAP22 - Meadow Dome - Chabo - 6676 = 6.25
MAP23 - Lily Pads - Oogaland - 87N8 = 8.00

Uh, congratulations, Oogaland. I do believe you just pwned everyone handily. Great job.

LOLZ! Oogaland owns at his own tool of map creation!

...atleast I'm guessing he made those maps with SRB2 builder...

Gah.

Oh, well, Los Gehts came in 3rd, and the top 3 SP levels were pretty even. So, yeah. Non-slippery ice. Damn, not here.

Gravity is that low? Come on! That was the most original map I've sawn in quite a long time. At least that was something differen't from the 3 map packs that I always play. Acid-missile, chaoszone, and mystic realm.

Super mystic sonic said:
Gravity is that low? Come on! That was the most original map I've sawn in quite a long time. At least that was something differen't from the 3 map packs that I always play. Acid-missile, chaoszone, and mystic realm.
It lagged too much and it was too hard and in some places it was too difficult.

Yes, it was a challenge, even though I've did it SMS.

I DIED 2 TIMES THERE!!!! YA HEAR ME?!?! 2 TIMES, YO!!!

ahum.....erm...sorry for that....

Damn I completely forgot to finish voting X.X

Oh well what's done is done. My level was also not put enough effort into it, so I don't really care that it got a 4. It was done in less than 1 week anyway.

Congratulations, Oogaland!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back