2.2 Preview - With Slopes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
8.1 is actually a different OS, I know it sounds like it doesn't, but it is like the new upgrade for Windows 10

8.1 is actually a different OS, I know it sounds like it doesn't, but it is like the new upgrade for Windows 10

8.1 is just a service pack, you can install it right away after installing 8. And like on Windows 7 for example you won't get any new updates without the service pack, and so on Windows 8. And a service pack usually comes with all the bugfixes, security patches etc. that were released preior to the service pack. Just becaue Windows 7 has its service pack installed does not mean that it is an entirely new system.

8.1 is just a service pack, you can install it right away after installing 8. And like on Windows 7 for example you won't get any new updates without the service pack, and so on Windows 8. And a service pack usually comes with all the bugfixes, security patches etc. that were released preior to the service pack. Just becaue Windows 7 has its service pack installed does not mean that it is an entirely new system.
This isn't true, actually. 8.1 is considered a different version of Windows, if a merely incremental update - initially, it could not be gotten from Windows Update at all, you had to get it from the Windows Store. Furthermore, computers with Windows 8.1 installed are marked differently from computers without, and vanilla Windows 8 received its own updates until January of this year.

Ultimately, the reason for the divide between versions is often marketing more than it is technical.

Can we just agree that Microsoft are incapable of counting to 10 properly and go back to 2.2 talk?

I'm guessing that this release is big enough that save files for 2.1 won't be compatible? I'm actually kind of hoping it won't be released soon because that would drain my motivation to collect emblems if it won't matter by 2.2.

It's a major update with changes to levels and game itself, did you really expect it to be compatible?

Not to mention the game can tell if you're using save files from a different version of SRB2 anyway, so yeah, don't expect 2.2 to be compatible with 2.1 save files at all.

I'm guessing that this release is big enough that save files for 2.1 won't be compatible? I'm actually kind of hoping it won't be released soon because that would drain my motivation to collect emblems if it won't matter by 2.2.
It won't be compatible, but one thing we've occasionally talked about is making a conversion program that'd keep your emblems that haven't changed. Probably won't happen, mind you, but it is a possibility.

Also, we're not releasing soon so feel free to go on your emblem hunt. If nothing else your experience exploring the stages will very much help you when 2.2 does finally release.

It won't be compatible, but one thing we've occasionally talked about is making a conversion program that'd keep your emblems that haven't changed. Probably won't happen, mind you, but it is a possibility.

Also, we're not releasing soon so feel free to go on your emblem hunt. If nothing else your experience exploring the stages will very much help you when 2.2 does finally release.

Good Job on not releasing early take as much time as you need to make SRB2 great again!

It's a major update with changes to levels and game itself, did you really expect it to be compatible?

I figured it wouldn't. Didn't hurt to ask.

Thanks! That's good to know. Do you know if WADs would have any compatibility changes?

Last edited:

It NEEDS to be a possibility. Otherwise collecting emblems are really pointless.

Personally, I'm completely okay with a major update resetting my progress, even for things that stay the same. It's a fresh new experience, right?
Even if some stuff stays the same, a lot of stuff does not, and getting a head start with emblem hunting, perhaps unlocking the emblem hints or even emblem radar as soon as you boot the game the first time, does spoil the hunting a bit in my opinion.

Well it makes sense for the levels that will be Major changes lile GFZ and ACZ. But the idea of transfering emblems from older versions seem very handy.

How about add more emblems?

Thanks! That's good to know. Do you know if WADs would have any compatibility changes?

Only wads that are maps and JUST maps will be compatible. Lua scripts will probably not work, and since we have a new palette, no mod with graphic changes will be properly compatible either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back