March/April 2011 Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and Charybdizs: I think you overdid it with the small text, it's a bit annoying to read. Normal text should be just fine, although if you think your reviews take up too much space, put them in spoiler tags like I did.

Haha, last time I voted there were people who complained about the big bold text, so this time I was just being a smartass.

Mossy Mushroom Zone [AKA Needs Moar Ponies Zone] by Rainbow Dash
Rating: 8/10 - Great

What is this I don't even...

This is so pathetically disappointing.
I wanted some magic.
Or some castles.
Or at least a freaking apple orchard.
But no, all I get is a bunch of mushrooms.
Thanks for nothing.
Hey, those mushrooms don't grow that tall and that durable on their own! I had to beg Twilight for weeks to get her to help with them.

and for your information the apple trees didn't have time to grow properly

Not to mention that a 1-up seems a pretty powerful item for such an easy-to-find spot.
I generally think of 1-ups as only a medium-strength powerup. Life boxes don't change how you play the level; they give you more chances to fail. I think that shields are the most powerful items, because they change the way the player plays. Infinite breath underwater, a second jump, or ring attraction all seem more powerful than one more chance to make that pesky jump.

You posted just to insult glaber? I know he's not the best level designer, but hell, he didn't even enter the contest and he's still being insulted! I know that it's the popular opinion on this board to dislike anything glaber-produced, but come on. Don't spew the hate at him before he's even made anything. :/

I agree with Ice. Glaber definitely has some serious shortcomings as a level designer, but they're all things he could easily overcome. First, when he gets an idea, he becomes fixated as all hell upon making that idea happen, no matter how many people tell him it will suck. Second, he is willing to make levels he knows are horrible for the sole purpose of proving a point or containing a gimmick.

In spite of all that, Glaber still has plenty going for him. First, he has experience - a hell of a lot more than most of us, in fact. Second, he has actually made one or two halfway decent creations lately. I'm all for a new Glaber creation in the next contest. At best, he'll break some new ground. At worst, he'll still be a comical highlight of the event.

Oh, and something about the name... I just happened to notice that everyone calls every dumb wad by its complete filename. e.g. House21.wad, HMS1123211.wad, stuff like that, so I thought it was only appropriate to name this the same way. XD
Well, yeah, but not in the actual level header. House21.wad is officially called "Hyper House", for instance. But I still get it, and I do think it's funny.

Last edited:
Woah
Woah
Woah
WHAT?

I've only been lurking around the MB all morning, I dunno how I missed this. If I would have seen it, I would have said something sooner.
Not cool, Kim, not at all. I wouldn't have expected that from you.

Don't follow in the majorities footsteps and be a jerk to Glaber. Most people here on the internet tend to make fun of undeserving people relentlessly, so always make sure you even know what you're talking about before you say it. And anyways, does anyone as inoffensive and mild as Glaber really deserve to constantly be made fun of, mocked, and used as a joke? No!

FFF said:
Well, yeah, but not in the actual level header. House21.wad is officially called "Hyper House", for instance. But I still get it, and I do think it's funny.

Oh, I know that, I was just taking it to an extreme. :p

Don't follow in the majorities footsteps and be a jerk to Glaber. Most people here on the internet tend to make fun of undeserving people relentlessly, so always make sure you even know what you're talking about before you say it. And anyways, does anyone as inoffensive and mild as Glaber really deserve to constantly be made fun of, mocked, and used as a joke? No!
Fight the power.

Glaber has consistently produced awful maps with the same reoccurring problems despite how many times these flaws have been pointed out to him. It has become quite obvious that he either doesn't listen, or otherwise will never get it right, so it's quite understandable to see giving him pointers and encouragement as a waste of time. That being said, the constant jabs at his lack of expertise serve nothing to no one, especially when he isn't even bickering back.

And as always, if you're not happy with the overall quality of the contest submissions, the best way to fix it is by opening up Doom Builder and putting some time and effort into something that's hopefully worth playing.

It has become quite obvious that he either doesn't listen, or otherwise will never get it right, so it's quite understandable to see giving him pointers and encouragement as a waste of time.

Heh, I was expecting an answer like this, and I'm prepared.

The thing some people don't realize is that everyone learns in different ways. It's an established fact that some kids learn best by listening to others, some by reading for themselves, some by doing it with their own hands, some by watching others do it, and some by having someone come up beside them and help them. It's not that they're retarded or anything, it's just that they're wired differently. Obviously, some are more lucky than others, in that they can learn average in pretty much every situation, but others, not so much. This also explains why some people do absolutely HORRIBLE in the traditional school setting, despite trying their hardest.

What I'm guessing is that Glaber just isn't wired to recieve teaching in the same way as a lot of people.

Well then, who's the one flame baiting? It wasn't my intention, and I don't see Neo Chaotikal or Kim the Fox as doing it.

Urm...

I wasn't referring to just one person's posts. I just feel that this (off-topic) discussion in general is going to lead to infractions sooner or later, at first glance.

Oh, true, I see what you mean.
Maybe it'd fit better nowhere at all! There are no forums or threads for insulting people, and for good reason. :p

And, just to make this post on topic, I'm gonna ask a question having to do with it. I know it's been talked about, but I didn't see a for sure answer. Are there gonna be any gold user titles for SP this time around?

Heh, I was expecting an answer like this, and I'm prepared.
I don't have anything else to say on this matter. If you want to get all fisticuffs, then pretend I replied with an insult directed towards you or your mother and have an imaginary argument with me.

At the end of the day, I'm nobody's dad and I have no obligation to keep rooting for glaber. His maps are bad, so I don't like playing them. Am I missing something here?

I don't have anything else to say on this matter. If you want to get all fisticuffs, then pretend I replied with an insult directed towards you or your mother and have an imaginary argument with me.

:/
Hey, if what I said came off as being aggressive, it wasn't meant to be. Really, I was just sick of all the shit getting thrown at him constantly, so I decided I'd speak up for him.
No hard feelings?

At the end of the day, I'm nobody's dad and I have no obligation to keep rooting for glaber. His maps are bad, so I don't like playing them. Am I missing something here?
Oh, I have NO problem with not liking his maps at all. Heck, I've seen some of them, and I know what you mean. I just don't like when people go beyond saying he makes bad maps, and start insulting him personally.

Last edited:
You know guys there´s plenty of people who makes much worse maps then Glaber, so stop this please.

You know guys there´s plenty of people who makes much worse maps then Glaber, so stop this please.

But the thing is, he's been mapping for YEARS and has barely improved, if at ALL. The fact that his maps have been producing the same base quality YEARS LATER is the real sad part.

...I thought this was the OLDC voting topic, not the "glaber is terrible at mapping" topic.

That aside, I think we have 5 days left before the results will be posted, IIRC.

Oh, wait. Something's wrong.

Fixed.
I never expected you for something like that...
I mean, have you looked at YOUR levels?! They're freakin' worse!

Just look for an example at the level you and Miles made, in Miles's mod, as a canceled level. Man, Miles, if you reading this, don't even include this as a canceled level. It sucks. I won't start explaning why HERE, 'cause that'll be offtopic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back