• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Crumbling Hwy Zone (Match Map)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJames19119

Why did they remove Grey
A little something for those players out there to tide them over until the contest voting starts. ^_~

http://srpgp.digibase.ca/srb2planet/mt_crumblinghwy.wad

Inspired by the Mission Street level in SA2, this takes place on a highway which is, well, crumbling. To pieces at that. There are many weak pieces of the highway that fall when stepped on, though, thankfully it's easy to tell the weak pieces apart from the rest fo the highway. =P Though many chunks of the upper highway is missing already. Floating pillars, a central unfinished building (Perhaps...?) and another building off to the side complete this level. It has three power-up rings (Infinity, bomb and rail) and one moniter set on Deaf, though there are many, many more moniters scattered around to give fleeing players more rings to toy with. The floating pillars give players lifts when they need it, though they prove to be nothing more than stupid obstacles in the end. ^_^ The finished building in the center holds moniters, a bomb ring and the almighty infinity ring, though, the infinity ring isn't exactly east to get to. =P And finally the building in the corner of the map carries a rail ring and several moniters inside it, including a very helpful Whirlwind Shield. Though, the only way in is through a window that will often prove to be a tight fit when jumping into it. The rooftop has a couple moniters, including the map's only deaf moniter, which respawns as a random moniter from a weighted table. So repeat visits to the rooftop can lead to victory if you're lucky. Both the inside and out have springs which propel you to the other side of the map once you're done with the building. Lamp posts, railings, and support pillars complete the scenery here.

GOD, am I good at summeries. :P *shot*

NOTE: There's another version of this without the custom music (Which the Mission Street theme "Rumbling Hwy") in the wad so you may download that wad instead if you don't like the music (It uses the Dark City music) or if you have a slow connection: http://srpgp.digibase.ca/srb2planet/mt_crumblinghwynomusic.wad

Also note that you could put music in a seperate wad by itself and when a server is joined using both wads it will deem the music wad "optional" and will add it if you have it and join without it if you don't...

Yeah I considered that but it would've meant replacing a music slot already used in SRB2, since the map would always point to the same slot. I kinda wanted to avoid it, just in case the slot was already used somewhere... >_>

Spazzo said:
Very nice. I really like it, it gives me the feel of SA2.
Good work!

same here, nice map. it has a wierd affect of making the charector disapear when he steps on the falling pieces though.

The character disappearing thing is actually a bug in SRB2, involving FOFs. Step real close to the highway railings and you'll see what I mean.

Mainly because the software renderer won't hide a portion of a 2D sprite with flats, only on textures. If any 2D sprite goes below a floor level, it just disappears (You can see what I mean when in OBJECTPLACE). You can only see this with FOFs though; how would you be able to see above a ceiling?

OpenGL will cut off a peice any sprite, regardless of the map graphic type. OpenGL will also make sprites like paper ^_^

Shuffle said:
I prefer paper over crappy-lookingness :)

I agree with you all the way.
Anyway, this map is actually pretty good. Keep up the good maps JJames!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back