Super Smash Bros [Wii U | 3DS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
We here in the US are pretty lucky as we only have to pay $20 for a bundle on one console, but the cost is still pretty steep for what it offers in terms of gameplay. I mean, if it sells, it sells.

Nintendo Direct said that Peach's Castle 64 and Hyrule Castle 64 are on the way, so I'm looking forward to that.

We here in the US are pretty lucky as we only have to pay $20 for a bundle on one console, but the cost is still pretty steep for what it offers in terms of gameplay. I mean, if it sells, it sells.

Nintendo Direct said that Peach's Castle 64 and Hyrule Castle 64 are on the way, so I'm looking forward to that.

Yay for Hyrule Castle 64 because that was my favourite 64 stage!

Hopefully it receives a graphical updated like in Project M because Hyrule Castle 64 was the ugliest stage in 64 in my opinion. But hey if it doesn't, it's not the end of the world.

So I've been noticing that since the 1.0.8 patch had been installed on the 3DS version, that either hardly anyone is playing, or something has happened that for some reason I can't seem to find anyone on there now. My connection is fine and getting online is no problem at all. Spectating and friend battles are fine however.. Before this patch, it was streaming full of people and was always busy. I don't know if there's an issue with my connection or what, but I'm finding this a bit strange that this has happened all of a sudden. Has anyone else who plays the 3DS version noticed this? and may know a possible answer? I can wait for as long as 15 - 25 minutes and no one is present. This happens on all the game modes online apart from features which I've mentioned above. The Wii U version doesn't show any issues at all.

Edit: Keeps being hit and miss for the moment. I'm not quite sure what or why this is causing this to happen on this version specifically.

Last edited:
Honestly, I would just say that the truly dedicated players have moved onto the Wii U version.

How much are the DLCs individually, anyhow?

Honestly, I would just say that the truly dedicated players have moved onto the Wii U version.

I would have to agree and disagree with this statement because surely hundreds of players couldn't just switch with a click of the finger all of a sudden moment couldn't they? especially if the 3DS version also has a large audience, and being their main versions if they do not have the Wii U counterpart (myself included) But then along with that, there could be a possibility with the Wii U version as well if some people have both and main one version to it's counterpart, ultimately deciding to stick to that decision (To which I can also understand with the Wii U having a bigger audience) However, all releases and updates since launch last year up to 1.0.7 in terms of connectivity and everything else have been fine and literally thriving with a lot of people. This is why it's got me thinking surely it couldn't be a coincidence of it all happening within a short time period? I'm pretty sure as well as the possibility of people playing/moving to a different version like you mentioned, I'm sure there's some connectivity issues because this is the first time I've noticed anything properly like it. I'm just going to just keep an eye on it for the time and being, unless others out there with the 3DS version does know something about it.

Last edited:
Hyperknux, you may be in what is known as "Smash Purgatory". Basically, you've been reported so many times that Nintendo is assuming you to be a toxic player, and you've been temporarily shoved into a server that contains other toxic players, and only them.

Hyperknux, you may be in what is known as "Smash Purgatory". Basically, you've been reported so many times that Nintendo is assuming you to be a toxic player, and you've been temporarily shoved into a server that contains other toxic players, and only them.

That's quite weird if for some silly reason is the case. The thing is in all honesty I never had problems to that degree with online until now. I may have disconnected properly once during a general bad day I had the other week which I did feel a bit bad afterwards, but other from that, I'm usually fine with it all. There was a time period in my old student house and university where the wi-fi used to cut out so much (yes it was horrendous), that not only did it freeze completely, but every time the match was called off (or no contest, whatever it's called) it used to register them as actual communication timeouts like as if someone had turned the game off like a normal or rage quit (which that wasn't the case) and I with 3 others used to get tempbans which may last for a minute or two and still counted, which I found kind of silly to be honest due to the fact that a dodgy connection is responsible for most of those timeouts when I was there. I also occasionally get problems connecting to actuall matches once I've actually connected, so sometimes I do wonder if it is my connection playing a part of it. Thankfully it has died down a bit and it doesn't happen as often. I'm seeing much more matches than before, especially for glory, though for fun seems to be a bit on and off at times, but seeing more than usual.

Last edited:
I've actually did a 2 hit combo in Super Smash Bros For 3DS (Practice mode recommended for first try) I choose Mario and went on final destination and when i got to the stage i put damage %100. You grab the enemy and move the control stick the opposite direction and when your enemy recovers and tries to land back on the stage hold left or right, ( depending on direction ) jump, and then press a. Mario will do an kinda like super punch if you did it right and the enemy will go straight down to his/her's off-screen death.

I've actually did a 2 hit combo in Super Smash Bros For 3DS (Practice mode recommended for first try) I choose Mario and went on final destination and when i got to the stage i put damage %100. You grab the enemy and move the control stick the opposite direction and when your enemy recovers and tries to land back on the stage hold left or right, ( depending on direction ) jump, and then press a. Mario will do an kinda like super punch if you did it right and the enemy will go straight down to his/her's off-screen death.

That's because you hit the enemy with the move which has a sweetspot, which is triggered if the move is landed within a certain frame required to activate the secondary effects. In this case for Mario's side aerial, the sweetspot when landed turns into a meteor smash. Moves which have sweetspots in do either extra damage, turn into a meteor smash in some moves, or in most cases extra knockback, increasing the chances of a guaranteed KO on higher percentages. Timing these sweetspots all depends on the character and the move that you use.

And I'm finally back onto the main server. Have no idea why all of that happened, but it's all good and dandy now.

Last edited:

Sadly this is not actually a combo. The enemy has plenty of opportunities to avoid this attack. A true combo in this game would be the infamous "Hoo-Hah". With Diddy Kong, grab your opponent and throw them downwards, then immediately jump up and use your up-aerial on them. If you're fast, you can even double jump and do this a second time before they can escape.

I would have to agree and disagree
It's simple. The diehards- quite a few of them- moved onto the Wii U version and probably won't touch the 3DS version again because of controls. Anyone else who hasn't is probably a more casual player who doesn't still pick up the game. That, and the connection is not so great- that, and if they're playing it it's possible they take it on the go where there is not always a wi-fi connection, and if there is likely not good enough to support online play. I know the 3DS has a large audience and it's not like EVERYBODY dropped it, but it's not rocket science either.

That or you really are banned

I just looked some Roy & Ryu gameplay on SSB4, being too lazy to spend money on them...
Is it me or is Roy's B neutral a bit too powerful when it's charged enough? It feels like K.O-ing 30% guys everytime. ._.

It's simple. The diehards- quite a few of them- moved onto the Wii U version and probably won't touch the 3DS version again because of controls. Anyone else who hasn't is probably a more casual player who doesn't still pick up the game. That, and the connection is not so great- that, and if they're playing it it's possible they take it on the go where there is not always a wi-fi connection, and if there is likely not good enough to support online play. I know the 3DS has a large audience and it's not like EVERYBODY dropped it, but it's not rocket science either.

That or you really are banned

If the issue wasn't some sort of purgatory server thing, then yeah I can understand you'll see more competitive people on the Wii U obviously because of having much better features (on the most part) but I doubt that it will persuade all of them to move based on a thing or two (unless it's really going to have that much of an influence of making a version better than the another) The one thing however that bugs me a lot is the 3DS controls. They are really not that bad. Granted if the handling is one thing, then fair enough. It may be easier for people to have a good grip on a controller, but the controls can be changed in the options section to suit a person's button layout preference. I find it much easier with a New 3DS having more button options, but I think they are just fine, The lag can be good or bad on either platform, it all heavily depends on the connection at the time.

However, if there was some stupid reason why I was placed in there, whatever the reason I don't know. But what it was, was that, and seeing as I never really knew what happened, I'd like to do a bit of research and hopefully I can find out what really happened seeing as I've not had anything to the degree before and not having any sort of notification as to why it happened. The main thing is that it's all cleared up now and everything is completely back to normal.

I just looked some Roy & Ryu gameplay on SSB4, being too lazy to spend money on them...
Is it me or is Roy's B neutral a bit too powerful when it's charged enough? It feels like K.O-ing 30% guys everytime. ._.

Roy's neutral special is not only powerful, but has a sweetspot in it that has ridiculous knockback that can easily kill around 40 - 50% He seriously needs to be nerfed in the next update. Way too OP in my opinion.

Last edited:
Roy charging his neutral B is incredibly obvious and slow. Walking into a nearly fully charged neutral B is even more foolish than walking into a Falcon Punch. It's totally okay that it hits for 50% at full charge and launches significantly far, just like it's totally okay for Falcon Punch to hurt like it does.

Roy's Neutral B is actually a one-hit KO. It will kill anyone even at 0% if it is fully charged. That's how strong it is. Competitively, charging it fully is a stupid tactic, but in free-for-alls, I can agree that this move might be a tad busted.

The only way you're going to get hit by a fully charged neutral B is if you're seriously not paying any attention or your shield was broken. Either way, you deserve whatever happens.

The only ridiculous thing Roy has on him is that he can potentially instant kill somebody with the first hit of his upB if he's at like 150% rage due to silly knockback shenanigans, and that's likely to be fixed with the next patch. Beyond that, Roy is a strong, well-built character, but he's strong in all the right ways. Versatile move kit, good KO power, good combo strings, good mobility and fairly good recovery. Comparatively, his playstyle is rather aggressive, and that's good; it's about time we had another competitively strong character that didn't rely on cheesing or gimmicks in its gameplan to be successful.

Roy charging his neutral B is incredibly obvious and slow. Walking into a nearly fully charged neutral B is even more foolish than walking into a Falcon Punch. It's totally okay that it hits for 50% at full charge and launches significantly far, just like it's totally okay for Falcon Punch to hurt like it does.

So regardless of attacking speed and signs, it's alright to have a move which can easily one hit kill at 0% or have an incredibly high kill rate between that and 50% regards of the character and the weight class? That is an issue which is game-breaking and can really affect the balance of that character when going up against other opponents to where it's not even funny. Falcon Punch does not even compare in terms of knockback at all at that percentage, in fact it's much weaker. Granted it's not a quick move to execute, but that knockback power is brutal.

Roy is a strong, well-built character, but he's strong in all the right ways. Versatile move kit, good KO power, good combo strings, good mobility and fairly good recovery. Comparatively, his playstyle is rather aggressive, and that's good; it's about time we had another competitively strong character that didn't rely on cheesing or gimmicks in its gameplan to be successful.

He does have weaknesses though. His main one is that Roy has lack of weight. He is easily the lightest of the Fire Emblem cast and can be knocked off the stage easier. His range isn't exactly great either, so you would have to risk going up close to deal that damage and knockback. The launching power is also not as strong, but then again it's made like that so that it can lead to other devastating combos. Whilst I do like the idea of his combo setups and his wide move set (With average recovery), I think he has way too many sweet spots in his move-set and too much knockback power in about 80% of his full move-set to be even considered balanced. I'm not fussed with damage dealt. I'd rather have a character (top tier or not and with or without gimmicks) which actually requires practice and a good amount of skill to use, rather than having a character which is brutally strong at the start to the point which any person and their friend can just choose them, and just go with the flow and win with hardly any sort of practice most of the time. Yes you can say that with several characters the game but in Roy's case to me, that raises a big eyebrow and he seriously needs to have that knockback power nerfed at least.

And yes, I have tried out Roy out plenty of times to notice these things. I think with decreased knockback power at least, I would tolerate Roy much more than I do now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back