SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Levels

Soulpack (Apple Alps and Frozen Flight) Details »»
Soulpack (Apple Alps and Frozen Flight)
Developer Last Online: Dec 2016

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating: (4 votes - 3.80 average)
Released: 02-26-2016 Last Update: Never Installs: 0
Single Player Levels Multiplayer Levels

I don't know if it's just me, but my links don't work for the attachments. I hope it's not a big deal for people to just use this link instead. (This is to the judges and moderators)

Soulpack DL:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ejteqo26ma...lpack.wad?dl=0

Download Now

File Type: zip scr_soulpack.zip (11.28 MB, 146 views)

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 02-26-2016   #2
Zipper
Soulja boy I tell 'em
Judge

A cute emerald hunt, though I'm worried that it might be a little Sonic un-friendly. I found no simple way of getting up to the cliff at the start, and had to spindash jump from the cave area and hope not to overshoot.

Still though, it's fine for a "first-stage" difficulty level!
Old 09-09-2016   #3
Soul the Wolf

Redesigned most of the level, so hopefully you guys will like it more.
Soul the Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016   #4
Prime 2.0
Actually a decent lazy bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul the Wolf View Post
Redesigned most of the level, so hopefully you guys will like it more.
The zip is corrupted. You need to reupload.
Science tells us that nothing can be proven, only rendered more likely to be true. If we do not question what we already know, how can we know, much less admit, when we're wrong? Such things are vital to progress.
Prime 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016   #5
Soul the Wolf

Sorry, Prime. Is this one better?

Edit: The file still won't show... :/

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

I'm getting an error saying the file is invalid when I upload from my computer. Does that mean it's too big?

---------- Post added at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

I'm going to leave the link in the main post so people can still download it and so I can shut up now.

Last edited by Soul the Wolf; 09-11-2016 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-11-2016   #6
Prime 2.0

Uploaded it for you. MB is having some issues with uploading attachments directly, but doing it from a URL still works, so I just staged it on dropbox first.
Science tells us that nothing can be proven, only rendered more likely to be true. If we do not question what we already know, how can we know, much less admit, when we're wrong? Such things are vital to progress.
Old 09-11-2016   #7
Soul the Wolf

Thanks a lot for doing that. Sorry I'm making things so difficult.
Old 09-11-2016   #8
Kuja

I was kinda expecting this to be pretty "meh", but hey, this was actually a pretty alright (first?) level. I appreciate your choice of textures and aesthetics. I noticed that you mixed in a bunch of different sector specials such as fake floors, teleports and FOFs in your level. You also managed to avoid putting "water floors" in, which is a first timer trap that many new mappers fall into. There's multiple paths And is that a skybox I see? It's a pretty good one.

It's true that this is a flat level. However, I'm not overly bothered by it, especially considering this could very well be your very first level. I'm not really a fan of 2D in most cases, but I can easily forgive it for being as such because you at least tried to make it compelling to play. The only gripe is that in the first 2D section, while I do applaud you for trying to balance risk/reward, the turret might be a little bit overkill for the sake of a single ring box item. Either make it worth it to go after those difficult to reach things, or tone down the hazard so that going for the thing doesn't just result in a net loss of rings. That being said, the method for getting the special stage token was very clever, and I love that you understand why and how and why it's supposed to work. I'd suggest that you keep experimenting with linedef executors in the future, you seem to have the basics down and then some.

Amateur or not, this was very well crafted, and I'd like to see more from you!
Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016   #9
Soul the Wolf

Thanks a lot for that in-depth review, Kuja. This is actually my 4th level to be honest.

I know you might be disappointed but I might not make so many maps in the future as I kind of expected this to get 4 stars at least for a beginner's type of level. It just shows me now how most people on this message board prefer quantity over quality, I guess.

But who knows, maybe I'll make another map again.
Old 09-12-2016   #10
Kuja

If you're making levels for the sole purpose of an arbitrary rating on these boards, then I've got bad news for you bud...Standards for levels these days are a lot higher than they used to be back in 2006, and you arent going to get a 4 or 5 star unless you are doing something truly unique with your level. If I were you, I wouldnt worry about ratings from invisible people and would instead practice more with 'builder and have fun with it. Goodness knows this board could use more of it.
Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016   #11
Tonic ze Hedgefox
A.K.A. VentureSonic

The match/tag level idea is a great idea, but the execution ain't great. Ring panels are few and far between.
Old 09-12-2016   #12
Soul the Wolf

@Kuja: Yeah, I know how the rating system is nowadays and agree with everything you say.

@Tonic: Yeah, I thought I should've added more rings/ring panels too. I'll probably update that once I add another act in.
Old 09-13-2016   #13
Soul the Wolf

Updated the match level layout a little and added a bit of some previews to my next levels so people could guide me in making a good second/third act.

And sorry I couldn't get the link to work again, Prime. I didn't want to bother you to do it again for me.
Old 09-14-2016   #14
Prime 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul the Wolf View Post
Updated the match level layout a little and added a bit of some previews to my next levels so people could guide me in making a good second/third act.

And sorry I couldn't get the link to work again, Prime. I didn't want to bother you to do it again for me.
Upload it somewhere that provides a direct download link, like dropbox, and then use the upload from URL option in the attachments.
Old 09-18-2016   #15
Soul the Wolf

Okay, I'll try doing that. Edit: I tried adding a dropbox link but it doesn't work for me. If you could just put the link in there one more time, I'd really appreciate that.

Also, act 2 is now finished, and I changed a little bit of the maps around.

Last edited by Soul the Wolf; 09-18-2016 at 02:57 AM.
Old 09-19-2016   #16
Prime 2.0

Done. Seems you have to put it in a publicly shared folder for it to work.
Old 09-25-2016   #17
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Hey, great skybox. Really gives the setting an awesome sense of depth.

The aesthetics in general are pretty nice, but the level layout leaves a lot to be desired. There's a lot of running and not a lot of doing. Easy fix to this is to just add more platforming and scatter a few obstacles here and there. Anyway, keep at it.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016   #18
Soul the Wolf

Thanks Cobalt (and Zipper who I left there by accident, sorry man). I'll definitely try to do all that in the future. The only thing I can say as to why it was like that in the first place is that this was just a test to see what pleased people, y'know. I didn't know honestly how to make levels before the god awful levelpack I made before this one. But I'm steadily getting used to how people want levels, I guess.
Old 10-02-2016   #19
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Personally, my suggestion is to make the type of level you'd want to play. That might be difficult at first because it requires you to understand what elements of level design really inspire you, but if you play some level packs and make a note of what's fun and what isn't, that's a good first step to making the kind of experience you're aiming for.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016   #20
Soul the Wolf

I don't really have a good taste in some aspects of what most people like these days, but I get what you're saying though. I'll just play more levels and take notes. Thanks for the advice.