SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Lua

Homing Ring Details »»
Homing Ring
Version: 1.0, by Prisima (*inaudible crawling noises*) Prisima is offline
Developer Last Online: Oct 2017

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating: (2 votes - 3.60 average)
Released: 01-05-2015 Last Update: Never Installs: 0
Scripts Re-Useable Content Sprites/Graphics

The Homing Ring is a ring that, when fired, quickly chases any nearby player. To keep it from being to overpowered, you must have 20 rings, and it uses 15 rings to fire. Also, you can only shoot every 5 seconds. You press Custom 3 to fire it.

Download Now

File Type: zip HomingRing.zip (5.1 KB, 460 views)

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 01-06-2015   #2
Shadow Hog
Administrator

A little surprised you made custom sprites for it instead of just reusing the graphics from 1.09.
Shadow Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015   #3
Whackjood
The unreliable joodge
Judge

I just roped myself and a few other staff members to test this out, and this works perfectly fine from a technical standpoint so I'm happy to release it. But I do think the ring itself is overpowered.

To be more specific, it's a perfectly accurate weapon that travels very fast, that tracks the closest target without flaw and you don't even need to aim. You could shoot a ring in the wrong direction and it would turn 180 degrees to make a beeline for the nearest enemy. It's basically a deton ring.

You clearly tried to keep it in line with the other weapon rings by giving it a long cooldown and a very high ring cost, but most of the time you can just pick up your opponents rings after he is hit by the homing ring. And fire it again before he has a chance to escape and recover. There's no reason to use the other rings, even with the high cost, as it's almost guaranteed to return the rings paid in points and rings your opponents drop.

One of the main reasons for this is because the homing ring tracks the nearst players location perfectly. But the ring would be far more interesting (and less powerful) if it had a turning circle and spent time accelerating after going in a straight line. This would give the target an opportunity to avoid the ring by tricking it into crashing into a wall, or something similar to that. To help illustrate the example, have a gif of Top Down (posted with permission).

Also it really bothers me that you can fire a ring in the wrong direction entirely and it'll still home in on the nearest target.
Battlenet tag: Whackjood#2732 (Europe)
"The Creeps" (1941)
Whackjood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015   #4
Prisima
*inaudible crawling noises*

The best I could replicate the the action that the rocket in the GIF does is slowing down the ring a tad bit and adding that auto-explosion when it has existed for too long, but not the turning behavior. Do you have any tips on how one might go about doing this? For all I know, it could be a source code behavior and not a Lua one in that GIF.
Old 01-07-2015   #5
Sryder13
'That brit'
Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisima the Fox View Post
The best I could replicate the the action that the rocket in the GIF does is slowing down the ring a tad bit and adding that auto-explosion when it has existed for too long, but not the turning behavior. Do you have any tips on how one might go about doing this? For all I know, it could be a source code behavior and not a Lua one in that GIF.
It was definitely done in lua first, it's basically accelerating it at a certain speed each frame, and if it goes above a set max speed it slows it down. It's not the most simple thing to do though. You'll probably be able to see the function soon anyway.
Old 01-07-2015   #6
Puppyfaic
*panting sounds*

I might want to suggest some sort of Line of Sight for the ring as well. Currently you can fire in any direction at all and it'll home on anything nearby. You should at least have to face the right direction :V
Puppyfaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015   #7
Prisima
*inaudible crawling noises*

There are two things within my ability that I can do to try to fix this problem:

* Slow it down, so you can try to run it out, or
* Try to script a speed checking mechanism, like Sryder talked about.

(Do objects - other than players - even have a line of sight? In every instance of chasing players that objects do, it has to do with A_Look. A_Look has a distance limit, though, and not a line of sight.)
Old 01-08-2015   #8
Sryder13
'That brit'
Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisima the Fox View Post
(Do objects - other than players - even have a line of sight? In every instance of chasing players that objects do, it has to do with A_Look. A_Look has a distance limit, though, and not a line of sight.)
Actually A_Look does have some kind of line of sight checking. You can use P_CheckSight in lua like it does to check it, as for how well it works though, I'm not sure. Checking whether something is in front of the object can be done with angles like A_Look does. The function you'll probably want is P_LookForPlayers honestly, that has a way to have a distance limit, line of sight checking, you can limit it to only looking ahead, and you can set it so the object has it's tracer set to the target, which is exactly what the ring needs.
Old 02-21-2015   #9
golteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisima the Fox
To keep it from being to overpowered, you must have 20 rings.

What do you mean by having 20 rings? I can fire it with 19 rings too!
golteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015   #10
Zwip-Zwap Zapony
Please just call me Zappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golteam View Post
What do you mean by having 20 rings? I can fire it with 19 rings too!
He means he set it to "if the player has 20 or more health", but forgot health 0 is dead, health 1 is 0 rings, health 2 is 1 ring, ... health 20 is 19 rings, etcetera.
Zwip-Zwap Zapony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016   #11
golteam

Um, the homing ring doesn't chase the nearby player, instead, when you're the server, it chases node number 1, when your a player, it chases the server.
golteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016   #12
MK.exe
Lazy, Lazy and lazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by golteam View Post
Um, the homing ring doesn't chase the nearby player, instead, when you're the server, it chases node number 1, when your a player, it chases the server.
This hasnt been updated for 2.1.15. I would assume it needs one
MK.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #13
Thundder-senpai
Chuckle, there is Knuckles.

I don't know, dude. Wasn't Homing Ring removed for being... cheating?
Old 08-06-2016   #14
Ritz
cornstar

It's not cheating at all, players are more than capable of outmaneuvering homing rings. As I recall, the original homing ring was removed because it was unstable and tended to crash the game- and because homing+rail was apparently overpowered (though I don't even remember that combo ever functioning, personally).
Old 08-09-2016   #15
Prime 2.0
Actually a decent lazy bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
It's not cheating at all, players are more than capable of outmaneuvering homing rings. As I recall, the original homing ring was removed because it was unstable and tended to crash the game- and because homing+rail was apparently overpowered (though I don't even remember that combo ever functioning, personally).
It was removed for being way too powerful as area denial. The grenade ring was its replacement, and then that was nerfed too for being as set and forget as it was.
Science tells us that nothing can be proven, only rendered more likely to be true. If we do not question what we already know, how can we know, much less admit, when we're wrong? Such things are vital to progress.
Prime 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016   #16
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
because homing+rail was apparently overpowered (though I don't even remember that combo ever functioning, personally).
To my knowledge very few if any official maps actually used the combo, but I can't imagine homing rail being anything other than a guaranteed hit.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017   #17
GreenKnight9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltBW View Post
To my knowledge very few if any official maps actually used the combo, but I can't imagine homing rail being anything other than a guaranteed hit.
Would love to see a one being made and just see people get shot right into the skybox-sphere
GreenKnight9000 is online now   Reply With Quote