SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Archived > Outdated Releases (2.0.X) > Levels (2.0.X)

Sparkling Icecap (s_sparklingicecap.wad) Details »»
Sparkling Icecap (s_sparklingicecap.wad)
Developer Last Online: Jul 2016

Version: SRB2 Rating: (3 votes - 4.20 average)
Released: 07-25-2011 Last Update: Never Installs: 3
Single Player Levels SOCs Sprites/Graphics

Sorry for the delay for releasing this after the ending of the contest. My computer started to have issues which was preventing me to fix up the map. But luckily I found a way to solve the dilemma.

So, alright here. Let me try to redeem myself by releasing this version of Sparkling Icecap. This was my original intention on how it was suppose to be in the contest. As I overlooked a few things when I hurried to release it. That was my silly mistake.

I tried to aim in between everyone's review from the contest. From serious mistakes to silly/little mistakes. The lag was a serious problem I mistook as being not so serious and found out that it was mostly cause by much variety of the Sparkle objects. The graphical glitches was a little mistake I made when I forgot to substitue my fast nodebuilder to normal. ^^' Whoops. Now. This version of the map has been nerfed. A lot. The platform path was barely touch, but almost everything on the puzzle path has been revamped to being a little more simple. For example: In the huge room, there is no more need in necessarily triggering multiple icicles to travel up-path and the ice-block inside the cave is not out of the way anymore, so there is no need to search for it, and after triggering it it's only a straight forward path on where you need to go. Hopefully after resetting things up in that room you'll understand what is needed to do.

Just to sum up what has been fix so I don't have to specifically what has been fixed.
  • Most lag vanished and compatible with OpenGL and whatever resolution you desire.
  • Graphical errors vanished.
  • More coherent for puzzle path. Icicle room specifically.
  • All damage white water has been substitued to normal blue water.
  • Sparkles have been removed from almost all areas, especially huge rooms, so it won't be tedious to transverse, but less in caverns I would really like to sparkle.
  • All cutscenes are now player protective.
  • All Ice blocks are only needed to be destoyed in a spin-state. Otherwise by a essential jump or spindash. No combination, mixture needed.
  • All areas that included Lava and changed to SOLID lava and has been super nerfed down to where gamplay is a breeze and few geography structures has changed and have been added to make avoiding lava easier.
  • For Spirit Crusher: All red crawlas are gone, and less blue crawlas.
  • Fountain glitch fixed
  • Areas revamped for logical sense, and intuitiveness.

I've played and changed this multiple times to where I think no one would hve serious problems with it this time. For those that played this on Co-op, I can't exaggerate enough with prefix in front of the name of the wad it's not.

Enjoy!

Download Now

File Type: rar s_sparklingicecap.rar (2.84 MB, 982 views)

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 07-30-2011   #22
PHCC
Too fast for you to see me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
I could have sworn I made that cold waterfall super secure, and close to the wall as possible. Oh well. All a simple fix.

This was cool to watch though. Everything you used to your advantage like the whirlwind shield, I'm fine with. But, I'm still not entirely sure how you've gotten up there after activating that lava. I became clueless how you did.
I said that I didn't know what happened. The first time that I gave a thok on the ice and waited for the cutscene to finish, I found myself up there, but when I didn't thok, things were just normal.
Old 07-30-2011   #23
Thompson
Endokukennnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEV3 View Post
Well I just gave this a shot. It still chugged a bit on my machine, but for the most part it was much better. I tried the puzzle path for the first time and got lost a couple of times.

First time in the icicle room, when I'd finally made it to the top I saw a brown bustable block right in front of me and immediately assumed it was the path forward. I then had to backtrack all the way up there and didn't notice the ice block until the second time around.

The second time in the icicle room, I'd noticed those frozen water fountains earlier and figured they were important. Once I got up to the top I saw one in front of me leading to a hole in the wall.
Unfortunately, I messed up trying to thok to the fountain so I jumped out of the melted lake and tried again and again. Then I tried going from the bottom fountains and working my way up. At one point an unlucky framerate drop combined with bad reflexes sent me into a pit while trying to make my way back to the top.
After starting all over, I finally made it to the hole in the wall on the other side only to find out it was a dead end with nothing but a 1up for my trouble. Confused I jumped back down into the melted lake and then accidentally found the way forward.

Lastly, the infinite loop was interesting but I'd gone in and out of the same two dead ends over and over. In the end it turned out that a very solid looking blue wall wasn't quite so solid. It didn't quite make sense.

The first problem is a result of the brown bustable block being far more obvious than the ice block you're supposed to break. The second problem was because you can't see the way forward easily. The third, well I'm not sure I understood it well enough to know what happened.
Besides these things though... as a whole, I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not skilled enough at SRB2 to play this kind of map. Most of my other issues were nonsense stuff that I doubt would be a problem for anyone else.
I can understand the first problem. I thought a trail of rings leading your way to the next area after you melt that section of ice, would avoid the second. Not a result I'd really expect, but I can see how you've thought the cave across from the top would become the path you need to go.

Your third problem is not understandable. Of course, the first dead end is on purpose, forcing you to turn around and keep looking. As the dead end is caused by a column that should be lowered to proceed. Then as you go down the snow slide, you should have come across another cave, which is actually connected to the column. It's the same as those bust-ice-to-lower blocks actually. I've kept the consistency on what you need to do for the gimmick. You've done it in the level before. So, it should have gave you the idea and became logic and obvious to bust the ice and that you have lowered the column. I don't see how this didn't make sense.
Old 07-30-2011   #24
JEV3
There and back again~
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
Your third problem is not understandable. Of course, the first dead end is on purpose, forcing you to turn around and keep looking. As the dead end is caused by a column that should be lowered to proceed. Then as you go down the snow slide, you should have come across another cave, which is actually connected to the column. It's the same as those bust-ice-to-lower blocks actually. I've kept the consistency on what you need to do for the gimmick. You've done it in the level before. So, it should have gave you the idea and became logic and obvious to bust the ice and that you have lowered the column. I don't see how this didn't make sense.
No no, I broke the ice and then went down to where the column opened up (at least I assumed that's where it opened up) and then couldn't find my way out of the room that it led to. I ran around the room several times and couldn't find away out. I finally thokked into a wall that I figured didn't belong and made it out. I don't altogether understand what happened there.

EDIT: Haha, wow. I think you should put some rings facing downward in that one tunnel. I replayed the level and figured out what happened. And here I thought I'd thokked through the wall through some glitch. Nope! There was a hole there that you can hardly see. I'd also consider doing something with the textures so the player can see it, but rings will probably suffice.

~The Greatest Adventure: Ballad of the Hobbit

Last edited by JEV3; 07-30-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2011   #25
Thompson
Endokukennnn

If I may ask, this room?

You got lost here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEV3 View Post
EDIT: Haha, wow. I think you should put some rings facing downward in that one tunnel. I replayed the level and figured out what happened. And here I thought I'd thokked through the wall through some glitch. Nope! There was a hole there that you can hardly see. I'd also consider doing something with the textures so the player can see it, but rings will probably suffice.
Ohhh, I understand now. I see. Okay, I think that could work.

Last edited by Thompson; 07-30-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-02-2011   #26
Phantom
9999 damage.

Whoohoo! Stuck like this forever!
Old 01-02-2014   #27
*icefox*avp*
Or call me Revan

I think you were tired when you made ​​that snowflake!

Click this link!

THE RICE FIELDS!