SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Archived > Outdated Releases (2.0.X) > Mods (2.0.X)

SRB2 - Community Build! - Full color Edition! (PNG) Details »»
SRB2 - Community Build! - Full color Edition! (PNG)
Developer Last Online: May 2014

Version: SRB2 Rating: (24 votes - 4.67 average)
Released: 06-10-2011 Last Update: Never Installs: 25
Re-Useable Content Code Changes Sprites/Graphics Is in Beta Stage

What is it:
SRB2 Community Build is a source code mod that is both a refinement and extension of the game engine that powers SRB2.

SRB2CB's goal is to provide an alternative SRB2 engine that brings a new breath of fresh air into SRB2 for both players and modders alike.

NOTE: SRB2CB is more centered toward modders and level designers, there's features in here for everyone too, but I'll focus more on modding capabilities and adding new features to the engine

----

SRB2CB v1.1

Regular Version

Download (includes a bunch of example wads for modders)
http://www.mediafire.com/?b6z7rbe26gt0ege

Source code: (not needed to use SRB2CB, this is if you want to see how it works)
http://www.mediafire.com/?7e79k1y2addzskr

------

Special PNG Edition for modders ONLY

This version allows you to just go crazy on the textures, WAY easier texture adding, no color restrictions, and images size up to 2048x2048 are supported

Any modders should have no trouble using this release to make some cool levels, as always the source code is included for you to customize anything you want ;)

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?4k48bwc5t53it6y

Source code with PNG goodness:
http://www.mediafire.com/?qapzzdnluzx9q7e

New Extended PNG Texture Pack: More than 200+ community made textures

Replace srb2cb.wad with this new one, this wad is constantly updated between SRB2CB releases, so always make sure you're up to date so you can have all the latest textures and play mods that use SRB2CB and the texture packs that come with it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2s5okms91p3pe9q

This a complete PNG conversion of all flats and textures in the game, PLUS 200 community-made textures from 2008 - 2011

Feel free to add any textures or sprites to this new texture wad, SRB2CB uses it to run, but it can be modified and added to independent of the SRB2CB version - so any new texture/sprite art content can be updated for any modders to use right away.

Again, Feel free to submit any textures or ANYTHING you want to this! It's a community effort!

Videos:
------

Full color texture support and easier adding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0_m4G1ljws
Breaking away from regular SRB2's image format, which was limited to 256 colors and handled resolutions of up to 256x256 - SRB2CB's new PNG feature allows modders to focus on adding art to their projects without worrying about color loss or image size restrictions, SRB2CB uses lossless color quality and can handle image sizes from 32x32 up to 2048x2048, with support for any non-power of two image size in between as well(You're not restricted to 64x64, 128x128, 256x256 and so on)

Easy texture adding:

The default SRB2 uses a fixed texture list: Before you had to manually edit the name and the resolution of a texture before adding it in and sometimes you even had to break up a texture into multiple parts, now you don't need to worry about that. Add a single texture image into your data file and SRB2CB lets you use it without a fuss.

You can also interchangeably use the same texture both on walls and floors too - no more worrying about corrupted floor and ceiling texture data like the old method had.

Frivilous extras!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuegMSzmdM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iphwFyA5Wjo

You'll find small little touches and differences from the default SRB2 in this mod, from new shields, new items, and console commands to random little easter eggs.

---------------

Feature list:

Improved OpenGL renderer - OpenGL mode has finally been FIXED and improved!
  • OpenGL mode is capable of displaying nearly all level effects with little to no visual errors
  • Extreme optimizations, you can look in all directions with no disappearing objects and the framerate got a 150% boost compared to SRB2's default OpenGL renderer
  • Much richer colormap effects
  • Coronas are back and they also got a major speed boost!
  • New sprite shadows that stay in one direction (enabled using shadows 1 in the console)

Polyobjects render flats!
They are rendered by default, so now a whole new dimension of map-making is now possible!
Mappers can configure a polyobject's startline to render the top and or bottom of the polyobject, give the start line a flag of:
  • Bouncy - to make it not render the Bottom of the polyobject
  • Transfer line - to make it not render the Top of the polyobjects

Skyboxes
Ever wanted to make the sky a 3D background? Well now you can.
You can render another part of a map as the sky, it looks like this:

*** Slopes ***
…wait, what? Yes, slopes. WITH COLLISION AND PHYSICS
  • Roll down a slope to gain momentum
  • Jump while going up a slope and gain vertical momentum
  • Run off a slope and you go upwards a bit - so ramps are possible now
  • Floor and Ceiling slopes
  • Dynamic slopes that can change according to the height of a sector
  • Any sector of any shape or size can be sloped, no limits on how many vertexes!
  • Slopes are setup by linedef (ZDoom/GZDoom style for those who are familiar with slopes)
  • Even grass edges can be sloped!
  • Slope within slope support

NOTE:
  • Crazy physics like running on walls is not supported with slopes....(yet), but the physics included are decent enough to make functional ramps that you can catapult off of at high speeds

Mult-character MD2's
(Custom character MD2s are now supported)

Here's how you set them up:
In your MD2.dat file, use this format
Code:
Nameofcharacter md2filename.md2 scale 0.0
Example:
Code:
Sonic Sonic.MD2 3.0 0.0
Tails Tails.MD2 3.0 0.0
Knuckles Knuckles.MD2 3.0 0.0
The part with (name).md2 is the filename and can be changed.
The first word in the line is the name of the actual character.
Another example:

Code:
Cream Cream3D.md2 3.0 0.0
^ This will load an MD2 named "Cream3D.md2" for the character "Cream"
The character's name is the same name used when typing "skin" in the console.
MD2.dat is also no longer case-sensitive, so typing:
Cream, CREAM, cream, or even CReaM will still be recognized by the game.

New and improved bots - They use their abilities in Coop mode and are just a bit smarter in Match mode, they are also stable and are a lot less likely to crash the game.

A new kind of Motion Blur! - works with speed sneakers, hitting a red spring (try GFZ2), or when falling down at a fast speed (you have to see this for yourself, no screenshot :P )

Balloon fountains and particle fountains!

Other Nice Stuff:
You can take a screenshot without having a message flood your console
(clears console lines that are on screen too)

You can unspin while rolling by pressing the spindash button again
New "shield" command gives the player a shield from 1-8

Scale works up with 25-500 (and up to 5,000 when scaling other objects)

The camera auto-adjusts to slopes!

New Sonic 3 shields, Flame, Lightning, and Bubble shield!

Brand new multiplayer colors, including purple, dark red, dark blue, black, neon green, and hot pink.

New Linedef Effects:
  • 386 Slope Frontsector Floor
  • 387 Slope Frontsector Ceiling
  • 388 Slope Frontsector Floor & Ceiling
  • 389 Slope Backsector Floor
  • 390 Slope Backsector Ceiling
  • 391 Slope Backsector Floor & Ceiling
  • 392 Slope Backsector Floor & Front Ceiling
  • 393 Slope Backsector Ceiling & Front Ceiling
  • 80 - Spring Bouncer
    The length of the line determines the strength, this makes a sector tagged with this effect act like a spring!
  • 446 Set 2D Camera Distance"
    Linedef executor that changes how far the camera is from the player for 2D mode

New Objects:
  • 580 - Hang-glider
  • 582 - Skateboard
  • 572 - Bumper (works like a diagonal spring but doesn't put the player into a different animation
  • 570 - Yellow sideways spring
  • 573 - Balloon - like a spring except animated and floats!
  • 574 - Respawning Balloon - can be jumped on more than once
  • 571 - Red sideways spring
  • 575 - Big balloon fountain - activates a swirl of multi-colored balloons!
  • 576 - Small balloon fountain
  • 585 - Particle fountain!
  • 586 - Spiral particle fountain!
  • 790 - skybox viewer
  • 791 - skybox map center
  • 440 - Sonic 3 & K Bubble Shield
  • 441 - Sonic 3 & K Flame Shield
  • 442 - Sonic 3 & K Lightning Shield

For dynamic 2D mode, there are some special objects that allow mappers to more easily align the player to the 2D track!
  • These are triggered when a player enters a dynamic 2D sector, so these objects must be placed in an "Enable 2D mode" sector to work
  • Just place these objects to where you want the player to be
  • These objects automatically teleport the player and do not effect the player's speed.
  • 780 - Aligns only the players X axis
  • 781 - Aligns only the players Y axis
  • 782 - Aligns only the players Z axis
  • 783 - Aligns the players X and Y axis
  • 784 - Aligns the players X and Y and Z axis
  • 785 - Aligns the players Z and X axis
  • 786 - Aligns the players Z and Y axis

New Sector Effects:
15 - Spring Sector (works with spring sector linedef)

**More detailed documentation coming soon to the SRB2wiki**

------------

NOTES:
  • SRB2CB is OpenGL based, so nearly all of these new features have been designed for / can only be feasibly done in OpenGL.
  • The OpenGL system has undergone some changes, so even if your computer couldn't run OpenGL mode before, it might work with SRB2CB.
  • SRB2CB requires data files from SRB2 v2.05 or later
  • SRB2CB is still under development, so not all features may work perfectly yet
  • When in doubt, SOFTWARE MODE IS UNSUPPORTED KTHNXBYE
  • Also, to experienced mappers, feel free to add any SRB2CB mapping tips to the wiki for things such as slopes or skyboxes

OpenGL tips:
  • Turning fog mode on is EXTREMELY recommend, it's almost required for things to look nice
  • Fog density of at least 64 is also recommended
  • The game automatically starts in OpenGL mode
  • If the game gives an error when you start it up in windowed mode, try running it in full screen, or try changing SRB2CB's resolution in your config.cfg file or autoexec.cfg file

Credits
Special thanks to Nev3r, ZTurtleman, and a bunch of other people on srb2's IRC channel!

-Kalaron

Download Now

File Type: zip SRB2CBWin32a.zip (2.08 MB, 5736 views)
File Type: zip SRB2CBPNG.zip (8.16 MB, 3992 views)

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 06-11-2011   #22
Charybdizs
Excelsior
Judge

So, Kalaron, how long did it take you to do all these things? Or for that matter, simply implement slopes? Whatever the case, it seems to me that it's not a matter of these things being impossible, like everyone (including the dev team) says, but rather a lack of motivation on their part. All the same, I can't really blame them though, as I know how it is to work on a project for a long time, and how you begin to grow bored of it.

Anyways, I plan on making a nice test map including slopes, skyboxes, and balloons, and many other things while I'm on my coming roadtrip. Lots of time to do it then, and it will provide me with a nice break from making Jell-O factory. ;)
Old 06-11-2011   #23
Fawfulfan
The Tortured Planet guy

Oh, just found another glitch. Nothing beyond the tops of Thok Barriers will render. At all. Ever.

Makes Drowned Downtown look ugly as hell. And while I'm at it, the skybox is drawn too high up, just like it is in vanilla OpenGL.

Oh, and stacking middle textures is still broken.

EDIT: One last thing--why the hell does it switch you to Coop if you type "MAP MAPXX"? And consfail the first time you try it?

Last edited by Fawfulfan; 06-11-2011 at 01:57 AM.
Old 06-11-2011   #24
Violo
Resisting Pony Avatar

http://www.mediafire.com/?1z0cnsdzm8lnpeb
A DB2 Config for this, just if you want it.
Old 06-11-2011   #25
Thompson
Endokukennnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
Also, I cannot for the life of me get the character md2s to work. I've renamed PLAY.md2 to SONIC.md2 and changed the md2.dat to SONIC SONIC.md2 3.0 0.0, yet sonic remains the same, am I doing something wrong?
You listed that you renamed the .md2 file to "sonic". You also have to rename the skin that's in your MD2 folder to "sonic" as well Chrome.
Old 06-11-2011   #26
Ezer.Arch
ArchPack developer

I'm proud to announce that SRB2CB Wiki article is up.

http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/SRB2CB

It's just a fairly edited copy-pasta from Kalaron's release post, so the article is in dire need of a rewrite.

Last edited by Ezer.Arch; 06-11-2011 at 02:41 AM.
Old 06-11-2011   #27
Chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
You listed that you renamed the .md2 file to "sonic". You also have to rename the skin that's in your MD2 folder to "sonic" as well Chrome.
I managed to figure out what I did wrong, but thanks anyway.
Old 06-11-2011   #28
Kalaron

Fawfulman, calm down a little bit :P Your bug reports are noted and are on my tofix list. SRB2CB is still in beta stage and a lot has been changed around that still needs fixing.

Quote:
Why does the camera flip automatically when Knuckles glides backwards?

Oh, and the player takes damage whenever the skin gets changed.
I think that might be because SRB2CB is a cross-merge between different versions of SRB2 - and that's actually a good thing by the way, some stuff that's leftover just needs to be taken out and stabilized.

and what OS are you on by the way, Fawfulman?

--

The sky wall issue has been fixed for the next version.

Also, Drowned Downtown, I've never seen that map, it looks pretty good, where's it from?
Old 06-11-2011   #29
Ezer.Arch
ArchPack developer

Spoiler:
{EzerArch} are you going to remove it?
{Kalaron} Yeah, it has to be removed
{EzerArch} *screenshot*
{EzerArch} So... no more break-dancing Sonic?
{Kalaron} :P
{EzerArch} D:
{Kalaron} It doesn't work anymore anyway

Last edited by Ezer.Arch; 06-11-2011 at 03:00 AM.
Old 06-11-2011   #30
Agent Hack
Known as Wind on SRB2

Hai. I decided to do a test map with some slopes and new item boxes...

Video

More info

Download!
Old 06-11-2011   #31
Torgo
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charybdizs View Post
So, Kalaron, how long did it take you to do all these things? Or for that matter, simply implement slopes? Whatever the case, it seems to me that it's not a matter of these things being impossible, like everyone (including the dev team) says, but rather a lack of motivation on their part.
The dev team never said that slopes weren't impossible, but rather they are impossible in software mode. The highest priority is getting something to work in software mode for the dev team. I don't think srb2 is going to become a OGL exclusive mod (sadly) so we won't see stuff like slopes in the official levels.
Old 06-11-2011   #32
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalaron View Post
Also, Drowned Downtown, I've never seen that map, it looks pretty good, where's it from?
I believe it's from his mod, Tortured Planet.
Old 06-11-2011   #33
Internet Explorer
IT'S NO USE

Whoah !
Already when I look at the screens, I get the mouth watering. It's a mega programmation ! I refer specifically to the stairs which will become fully diagonal and shields of S3 / S&K.
I can not wait. I'll test it and tell my notes.

EDIT : Can I use your work for my wad ? I'll credite you.
EDIT 2 : I do not know how to implement these changes in SRB2DB ... I have to configure anything ?
EDIT 3 : And how to play in Fullscreen.

Last edited by Internet Explorer; 06-11-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-11-2011   #34
kyllian1212
idk

Internet Explorer,go to Tools,click on configuration and to files.
NOTE:Put the config in the SRB2 doom builder before!
Old 06-11-2011   #35
Internet Explorer
IT'S NO USE

You're right. Thanks.
EDIT : And reThanks for the fullscreen.
Oh, yes. I've noticed "Bubble Sheild" and not "Bubble Shield" in the editor. You must rename it.
[Make a simple level...]
Ok. People must execute SRB2CB.exe and put "add xxxxx.wad" in the console to play wads made by this configuration.

Last edited by Internet Explorer; 06-11-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-11-2011   #36
kyllian1212
idk

Also fullscreen:type fullscreen on in the game then exit and relaunch it.
Old 06-11-2011   #37
Fawfulfan
The Tortured Planet guy

Oh, hey, can you give us a download link to that test level with the balloon fountain? It looks pretty cool.

One other bug report: PolyObject flats don't work exactly right in all situations. Whenever there is a concave PolyObject, it fills in the space in between.

Last edited by Fawfulfan; 06-11-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-11-2011   #38
742mph
I make Sonic look like me

I definitely like the beta version, but there are some things you need to fix for the final:

*The bots (like Sonic & Tails) don't work in Single Player. The CPU-controlled character doesn't appear.

*The fog should be nonexistent by default, it looks very strange in some levels.

*The spintrail is off-center vertically.

*And most important, 2D. Did you slow Sonic down on purpose in 2D mode here, not just SRB1 mode? I tested it on a 2D level that I made, a level that you would only lose 0-1 lives on under normal circumstances, and I lost EIGHT lives on it because Sonic was so slow. Please speed Sonic up for normal 2D mode. If we want Sonic to be slow, we'll use SRB1 Mode.

Last edited by 742mph; 06-11-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2011   #39
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 742mph View Post
And most important, 2D. Did you slow Sonic down on purpose in 2D mode here, not just SRB1 mode? I tested it on a 2D level that I made, a level that you would only lose 0-1 lives on under normal circumstances, and I lost EIGHT lives on it because Sonic was so slow. Please speed Sonic up for normal 2D mode. If we want Sonic to be slow, we'll use SRB1 Mode.
SRB1 Mode will be merged with 2D Mode in 2.1, so you better get used to slow Sonic, because he'll be the only option you have.
Old 06-11-2011   #40
742mph
I make Sonic look like me

Well, that sucks. Looks like all my 2D levels are going to need to be changed a whole lot.
Old 06-11-2011   #41
Virt
Trollerskates

I'm still wondering if you could put slopes on conveyor belts.