Streets of Rage 4. FOUR.

i like the good old streets of rage but this one looks meh for me. the gameplay looks very nice but i hate the art style they chose, it just doesn't fit SOR and axl's new design looks more like a homeless man then an ex-officer
SOR remake still rules for me

Never played the Genesis titles, but this looks pretty cool. It's kinda disappointing how many Sega franchises went completely silent after the Dreamcast died, so I hope this one does well.

i like the good old streets of rage but this one looks meh for me. the gameplay looks very nice but i hate the art style they chose, it just doesn't fit SOR and axl's new design looks more like a homeless man then an ex-officer
SOR remake still rules for me
Worry not, the game started development and it didn't say that Adam, Max, Skate and Zan are gonna be in the game, neither the fact it will be on PS4, XOne, Switch and even... Steam? (why.) So, yeah, the trailer showed Sega's best Beat-Them-Up is back and things may change time and time.

So many news regarding SoR4 and nobody cared enough to bring them here. Not even me. Oh well. *Ahem*

Basically, my favorite news:

-It's probably coming this year
-Online co-op ('Cause imagine feeling like inviting your friends to your house every goddamn time just to play games together)
-Two brand new characters. Cherry, Adam's daughter and some guy named Floyd
-And speaking of Adam, he's finally playable again
-Available for all the consoles, even PC
-Yuzo Koshiro participates the soundtrack's production
-Shiva's in the game
-THE LATEST NEWS: You can play with the classic soundtrack from SoR1 and 2
-THE LATEST NEWS: You can play as classic versions of the cast, too. Such as:
*SoR1: Axel, Blaze and Adam
*SoR2: Axel, Blaze, Skate and Max
*SoR3: Axel, Blaze, Skate, Zan and Shiva (Where's Ash and Roo, tho?)

Last edited:
So the game came out, let's avoid to post spoilers but what did you think of the game?

Haven't had a chance to play yet, but looking forward to enjoying it as a couch co-op.

I like what I've seen in the reviews, especially about the approach to difficulty.

]Streets of Rage 4 also has a very welcoming approach to difficulty. Many classic games can be unforgiving, and in some ways, that’s part of the appeal. But the latest Streets of Rage gets around this in a smart way. Outside of multiple difficulty options, the game also lets you customize the experience in finer detail. You can choose to have more lives or more super-power stars, and doing so will lower your high score, but it doesn’t impact the experience in any other way. This means hardcore players can still enjoy a tough game, while everyone else can find ways to avoid getting overly frustrated.

This is good game design. There are many devs who don't know how to properly balance a game (or just think that hard = good) when the most important is to have fun no matter how skilled the player is.

Exactly right. The industry as a whole is slowly beginning to re-contextualize the view/design of game difficulty as being a matter of accessibility rather than only through the prism of skill.

Ideally you want your game to have lowest barrier of entry / highest ceiling of incentive to the player; you want to appeal to both the hardcore gamer and the potential for new unfamiliar players. You want to do so in a way that is intuitive, fair, and respectful of the player's time. The player should be motivated to return to the game to improve and because it's fun to do so.

SoR-4 seems to understand/execute that well, just based on the description. Playing it tonight, looking forward to it.

We played River City Girls as the most recent beat-em-up, which was enjoyable if a bit tedious toward the end. That game definitely would've benefitted from an ability to skip or over-power yourself to cheese certain bosses.

Friend of mine, lifelong Nintendo gamer, neither 'core' or 'casual' but somewhere in-between (longtime player but not especially skilled) puts his frustration toward game difficulty incentivizing like this -- "Oh yes, everybody's favorite part about playing a video game. Completing the campaign and getting a C minus and told to try again. Thanks for buying and using our product; by the way, we think you're trash."

"Oh yes, everybody's favorite part about playing a video game. Completing the campaign and getting a C minus and told to try again. Thanks for buying and using our product; by the way, we think you're trash."

Haha this does that after every level in the campaign; whatever. Played co-op on easiest to stage 8, stopped there.

Art / music is great. Animation is fluid. The special moves are fun; I mostly played with Floyd for the robot arms. Played a few stages solo at Hardest (not Mania) and enjoyed it that way too. Haven't tried Battle or Online yet.

Overall it seems great.

Exactly right. The industry as a whole is slowly beginning to re-contextualize the view/design of game difficulty as being a matter of accessibility rather than only through the prism of skill.

Ideally you want your game to have lowest barrier of entry / highest ceiling of incentive to the player; you want to appeal to both the hardcore gamer and the potential for new unfamiliar players. You want to do so in a way that is intuitive, fair, and respectful of the player's time. The player should be motivated to return to the game to improve and because it's fun to do so.

SoR-4 seems to understand/execute that well, just based on the description. Playing it tonight, looking forward to it.

We played River City Girls as the most recent beat-em-up, which was enjoyable if a bit tedious toward the end. That game definitely would've benefitted from an ability to skip or over-power yourself to cheese certain bosses.

Friend of mine, lifelong Nintendo gamer, neither 'core' or 'casual' but somewhere in-between (longtime player but not especially skilled) puts his frustration toward game difficulty incentivizing like this -- "Oh yes, everybody's favorite part about playing a video game. Completing the campaign and getting a C minus and told to try again. Thanks for buying and using our product; by the way, we think you're trash."

Yeah, especially since we got through an era of games that were akin to "interactive movie" (even if Point'n Clicks in the 80-90's were basically interactive story-focused game as well) while some indie game were closer to the old "Nintendo hard" difficulty (not that Sega didn't have hard games as well).

I can understand the frustration that there weren't many AAA game that were challenging enough for that kind of player but them blaming on the "casuals" isn't the good thing to do simply because videogame used to be hard because they tended to be extremely short (SoR 1 could be finished in more or less an hour if you played in easy and in co-op) and they were basically like arcade games (focusing on a short burst of play rather than trying to finish it once, this is why most game ending for those old game were just a simple "conglaturation" text like for Ghost'n Goblins).

Nowadays the best thing to do as a dev is to be able to have a good balance between accessibility and challenge (like you said, low skill floor but with a high ceiling).

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back