Super Meat Boy - A Masochistic Throwback To The NES Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scizor300

a man denied his homeland
804_Super_meat_boy.jpg

Remember the good ol' days when games were more simple, but much more hard? Well, Super Meat Boy is just like that! Made by Edmund McMillen (Behind such games as Gish and Braid, and some great flash games such as Spewer, Carious Welting, and other awesome games) and Tommy Refenes, you play as a skinless boy, trying to save your girlfriend made of bandages from a (literally) fetus in a jar, sporting a stylish top hat, monocle, and tuxedo.

The game spans over 5 chapters, featuring over 300 levels. And along with the main levels, if you happen to get a "Grade A+" ranking on a level, you can go to the "Dark World", a set of levels that are more challenging than the ones on the Light world. You also have the oppurtunity to also grab some bandages on your way. They may be dangerous to get, but you can also get characters and chapters for every 10 bandages.

Featuring a great storyline, nice graphics, and an awesome soundtrack (Composed by Danny Baranowsky), this game will be sure to take up hours of your time with it's hard but addictive gameplay. As of the moment, it is on the PC (Steam and Non-Steam) and the XBOX360. According to the developers, it will also be seeing a Wiiware and Mac release.

The 360 version features a free form of DLC in an unlockable chapter called "Teh Internets", which as of the moment features a pack of levels based around the unlockable character Gish (From one of McMillen's previous games, with the same title) and his abilities. There are also many other characters exclusively for the PC and 360, such as Tim from Braid (360 version of SMB), and Steve from Minecraft (PC version).

The controls are a tad slippery sometimes, but it is still fun all the way through. No matter how many times you scream in rage at the game, you will always know you're having fun doing it.

Screenshots:
70161358.png

One of the bosses, composed of all the dead bodies of Meat Boy

SMBimage08.jpg

There are also portals that take you to "Retro" areas with simpler graphics and music.

14326.jpg

When you finish a level, it shows a replay of all your previous attempts...and failures.

tofu.png

PETA tried to parody SMB, but Ed got them back (Though he pushed the game in their faces anyways). Tofu Boy is the weakest character in the game. Slow and has a tiny jump height. Garunteed for lulz.

Here's a list of the characters available in the game.

All Versions
  • Meat Boy (Several variations, such as 8-bit)
  • Bandage Girl
  • Commander Video (Bit.Trip Series)
  • Flywrench (Flywrench)
  • Jill (Mighty Jill Off)
  • Ogmo (Jumper)
  • The Kid (I Wanna Be The Guy)
  • Meat Ninja
  • Brownie (One of the bosses, playable via code)

Xbox360 Exclusives
  • Alien Hominid (Alien Hominid)
  • Gish (Gish)
  • Tim (Braid)
  • Spelunky (Spelunky)
  • Ninja (N/N+)
  • Pink Knight (Castle Crashers)

PC Exclusives
  • Steve (Minecraft)
  • Captain Viridian (VVVVVV)
  • Josef (Machinarium)
  • Headcrab (Half-Life, Steam Exclusive)
  • Goo Ball (World of Goo, Non-Steam, and Steam via code)
  • RunMan (RunMan: Race Around The World)
  • Naija (Aquaria)
  • Tofu Boy (Type "petaphile" in the character select screen)
The characters listed under "All Versions" are unlockable via finding a portal (With the exception of Meat Boy, Bandage Girl, Meat Ninja (?), and Brownie.)
But anyways, in my opinion this is one of the greatest games I've played. what are your opinions?

Link to Meat Boy, the one that started it all

Last edited:
Well, thanks for spoiling all of the fucking unlockables for me. Would've been awesome to find those out for myself.

Well, thanks for spoiling all of the fucking unlockables for me. Would've been awesome to find those out for myself.

It's pretty much known to everyone, dude. It's not like I gave away their abilities, at least.

I thought those were known to everyone before the game even came out.

God damn Hell levels...

Yeah, Hell was a rather large pain in the ass. Still need to get more bandages there.

Last edited:
The following message is in spoiler, because it's about an unlockable. :3

Aw! I wanted to play as the N/N+ guy, but finding out he was only availible on the X-Box made me sadface. If anything, I'm getting the PC version. I wanna play as Steve. xD)

No Quote? Not even as a Wii or PC exclusive? I am a huge sad. (also more spoiler tags)

No Quote? Not even as a Wii or PC exclusive? I am a huge sad. (also more spoiler tags)

Well, maybe they'll have other Wii-Exclusive characters. Though, it is a shame Quote couldn't make an appearance. He'd probably be the PC/Wii version of Alien Hominid, shooting down to rise a bit on jumps.

We'll see what Wii-exclusive characters we get soon. Though, there's not many Wii indie games I've heard of.

The last time I heard about the Wii version was when they were discussing if the Wii version should go retail. The game was originally being developed for the Wii(?)... and then went multiplatform. The final size was too big so they couldn't put it on Wiiware service.

So, is the Wii getting cut content or something?

Last edited:
The last time I heard about the Wii version was when they were discussing if the Wii version should go retail. The game was originally a Wii game(?)... and then went multiplatform. The size went too big so they couldn't put it on Wiiware service.

I wouldn't doubt that one bit.

Also I unlocked Josef. Rather useless IMO

This doesn't technically count as a spoiler since it's on the game page in Steam...
...but in case you didn't check-
One of the PC (Steam) version's exclusive characters is a headcrab.
I am seriously thinking about getting this game, even though I would suck.

Since Monday: 84 bandages.
Almost there.

The soundtrack is pretty cool, Hell both light and dark worlds, hospital light world, larries' lament and Final Battle are some of my favourites.

Self-imposed challenge for the game: Tofu Boy, no deaths, and Blind Run if TB is available from the start.

I just finished playing the original Meat Boy.

Pfft.. I died about 30-40 times on that you wussies. I need to get the new Super Meat Boy now. So how much harder could it be than the original?

Last edited:
The last time I heard about the Wii version was when they were discussing if the Wii version should go retail. The game was originally being developed for the Wii(?)... and then went multiplatform. The final size was too big so they couldn't put it on Wiiware service.

They might put it on retail for the Wii, but with sale prices they said don't count on it.

I just finished playing the original Meat Boy.

Pfft.. I died about 30-40 times on that you wussies. I need to get the new Super Meat Boy now. So how much harder could it be than the original?

Just a question, did you play it on kongregate?
Did you get the impossible badge on Meat Boy AND its Map Pack?
DID YOU? HUH I DIDN'T THINK SO...
But in case that you did, you will have realized that the original Meat Boy is a terrible piece of shit with loose controls and bad level design, a LOT of blind jumps, et cétera.

Super Meat Boy has some actual challenge, especially for the fact that Meat Boy now moves exactly how you expect him to, rather than flailing around like an idiot. Since you now have pin point perfect accuracy (and death doesn't mean a black screen with LOADING anymore) the game is no longer hard, it's simply challenging. I don't see why people think Super Meat Boy is hard, I mean, you have infinite lives for that and you restart instantly upon death, how can that be hard?

Nevertheless, get it Greg, because it's one of the best (if not THE best) platformers I've played in my entire life.
Or maybe I'm hyperbollin'

It's damn good. One of the only games where I can go "aw fuck" after dying, but somehow want to keep playing even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back