My personal rant. (Long post warning!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, there are some PhpBB mods that allow moderators to ban users, but the administrators get notified when a moderator has banned someone, and they must verify it, or decline it (declining it would unban the user, and verifying wouldn't do anything, except keep the user banned). I think the moderators only have up to 7 days banning without verification, which is good considering it makes administrators the only ones able to permanently ban, yet moderators can get you up to strike two.

EasyMod should do the trick if you don't know PHP, and even if you do, it's still way more convient.

Sonow Hakura said:
Dark Warrior said:
Sonow Hakura said:
I used to remember how SMS used to be worshipped

Just to correct this, none of the older members ever worshipped Super Mystic Sonic. I don't know why you think this, but it never happened.
Before you made all those posts about how he wasn't good or whatever, he used to be treated like a god.

No, that was never the case. The generic stupid n00b did, but the rest of us didn't. We were mocking him in IRC for quite a while before I made my post. He was only worshiped by the n00bs, and that's not worth considering.

If you read in his topics, you'll see that only the n00bs liked his wads Sonow, at least read those before making assumptions. :|

I must agree. I got here right before 1.09.2 came out, after I had discovered SRB2JTE and wanted to say "You rock, Jason!" By the way, what happened to JTE? Anyway, there was a person who COULDN'T INSTALL THE GAME. That's just too much. Amen, Spazz.

EDIT:

Put up a "La la LAAA!!" hamster as my avvy. But Canvas butchered it...

BlazingPhoenix said:
If you read in his topics, you'll see that only the n00bs liked his wads Sonow, at least read those before making assumptions. :|
I wasn't assuming thank you, I just saw how everyone "loved" his SMS 0.0whatever. I also happened to like his work when I first came here. So are you assuming that I am a noob? No. Assuming only a group of people would like someone elses work is the act of a noob.

BTW: Spazzo, what was so special about those two topics? I didn't notice as much of a difference as you described.

FSX said:
Put up a "La la LAAA!!" hamster as my avvy.
Old meme. If anything, La La Laa marked the start of the board's decline, as did the avatar editing topics- all but mine, that is.

Sonow Hakura said:
I also happened to like his work when I first came here. So are you assuming that I am a noob? No. Assuming only a group of people would like someone elses work is the act of a noob.
This is wrong. SMS is a work of the utmost lowest quality; enjoying it in the slightest is an indication of one of two things- either the person in question is new to the community, or is of poor taste.

While you probably fit into the latter group, the former is justified by the fact that we all rolled in shit when we first came around. I mean, even I enjoyed Shadow/Skorne's miscellaneous old wads- Of course, I knew they were bad, but they were still entertaining to a point because I hadn't been overexposed to that sort of tripe at the time. And hey, look at CZ64- he was churning out 2D wads full-tilt, and a great deal of us were into them as well. Now, he's the most accomplished sprite editor in our entire community, and then some.

But I digress. The point is that liking wads of SMS' calibre is always, always a prime indicator of a noob. The problem is that people don't seem to be growing out of that phase fast enough, and it's starting to clog the communities' arteries. With the dwindling amount of active, decent wadders around here, this generation of members is either going to stay complacent with the way things are, or they're going to wind up losing interest in SRB2 altogether, along with the people who matter the most.

The relevance of those two topics, as Ritz pointed out, is marking the decline of the forums. Bad apples started showing up more frequently (especially after the onset of 1.09), the majority of the forum was becoming n00b territory, etc.

I still think my framed avatar should of won. Would of loved to see you posting with that beside your name. :P

Really, the bottom line is that the forums are going to decline and improve without any real sign of stopping. The forum may die in the future, it may be taken by noobs, it may become the Nazi forum of april fools day, but as long as people who are here who recognise the rules, the FAQ, and the Admins/Mods for what they are, I doubt that we'll be dying/noobed/nazied anytime soon.

Rather than complaining, do something about it!
Creators: Create!
Posters: Post!
Lurkers: Lurk! (I suppose...)

If you don't like the nOObish posts and wads, drown them with quality work, interesting topics and witty debate!

You all want action? Get acting! *looks around* NOW!

And me? Lurking/Posting/Creating since 1.08, people.

Segmint said:
Well, there are some PhpBB mods that allow moderators to ban users, but the administrators get notified when a moderator has banned someone, and they must verify it, or decline it (declining it would unban the user, and verifying wouldn't do anything, except keep the user banned). I think the moderators only have up to 7 days banning without verification, which is good considering it makes administrators the only ones able to permanently ban, yet moderators can get you up to strike two.

EasyMod should do the trick if you don't know PHP, and even if you do, it's still way more convient.

'convient'?

Mystic is scared of anything resembling a forum hack, he doesn't want to break the board. Even though it's not hard to fix as long as you turn off the board and backup all your files and MySQL data. Then if it goes wrong all you have to do is restore it. >_>

But don't think he'll pay attention to anyone that knows what they're talking about any time soon. Believe me, I've tried.

I meant to say, "convenient(sp?)", but whatever. Backing up the forum is easy, and I don't understnad why he doesn't either:

A. Backup this forum, and try it here. If it breaks the board, then the backup can be reloaded.

B. Ask Sepwich for another forum to practice on, and if it doesn't work on that one, we would know not to use that certain PHPBB forum modification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back