• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Coop level - crystal caves (alpha)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuba11

^Avatar made by VOLT!^
Being inspired by Viridity Woodland I decided to create my own coop level. I was TRYING to be creative with theme, but it's just next purple water level. This stage is only possible to complete with at least 2 players using different characters, so cooperaton is required. Link:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/eypvrj
I'd like to hear your ideas for gimmics and advices to make this level better. It still has some bugs and due to technical problems some things may not work well ( especially the first switch opened door) but I'm working on it. Hope you'll like it. (Some great assetpack textures were used)

Why are you using a File sharing site?

As for the level, there's no enemies and it isn't challenging at all, but I liked the two-person switch needed to get through the level. The only problem is anybody stupid enough to step on the switch for the group will be stuck back there.

Last edited:
ThunderNova said:
Why are you using a File sharing site?
I got used to this, is that a problem?
ThunderNova said:
As for the level, there's no enemies and it isn't challenging at all
Right, I'll work on it.
ThunderNova said:
The only problem is anybody stupid enough to step on the switch for the group will be stuck back there.
Actually, there is a second switch on the other side. You can use it to open the door and let the last player proceed.

Yes, it is, seeing as if you submitted this to the right section in the first place, you would've been able to let users download the file directly from the topic.
There's absolutely no problem with posting WIPs in the Editing forum, neither is it a problem if they use filesharing sites to host the file.

Oh, and have you ever heard of this thing called colormap? You never use it.

Last edited:
Well, when I first saw this topic, it seemed like he was submitting it and didn't know about the submissions section.

And I'll assume that the colormap comment is for Kuba.

Spiritcrusher said:
Oh, and have you ever heard of this thing called colormap? You never use it.
Err.. I used it in the switch opened door room.... If you are applying to the water I didn't use it purposely to show that the water is clear and transparent. I made it darker but if it looks bad I'll change that.

Water without colormaps always looks unnatural because there's no way to tell it apart from air. And a colormap doesn't stop it from being clear and transparent. It just colors it.

I meant it has no color and it's crystal clear. I suppose I'll change that though.

This map seems to be a case of "forced" cooperation; a linear level which forces you to change skin every now and then (what does this have to do with cooperating between players?), and pushing a switch as one guy and standing on it while other guy goes in. This is not actual cooperation. The other guy is not a partner so much as a substitute for a gargoyle statue. there was also aparently a puzzle where you dropped a gargoyle statue down something you can't get out of if you are Sonic (without noclip in SP) and then you can just whirlwind up to a place where the other one is, but I don't see why this is cooperative.

Like the last coop map, this isn't actually a cooperative experience, but unlike that map which can easily be thwarted by simply being IN coop mode and skinswitching, this map requires another user just so they can serve as an item. This is because cooperation in SRB2 simply isn't there; all we have is Tails being able to carry others, meaning two Tails users can fly indefinetly. That's about it. Granted, you can turn Tailspickup off to allow people to stand on eachother, turning Knux into an elevator, but this is about as far as it goes. The only real way to have coop in SRB2 is by brute forcing it, it seems. A switch someone else needs to stand on and a skin change that requires no help from anyone else are all we can really do with coop.

Every idea I seem to get off IRC or the MB seems to be "this person stands on a switch" because ALL YOU CAN DO is stand on a switch to do anything cooperative that can't be done by someone alone (unless you really need infinite flight for some stupid reason). Unless someone can find a non-forced alternative to cooperative play, I don't think it can actually be done well. Not that it needs to, considering SRB2 is strictly a singe player game even in coop, but of course, people will keep trying regardless...

You are right, there aren't many possibilities to make a coop level. Though I don't see your point about "forced" cooperaton. You are supposed to do some things (like standing on the button) to help another player progress. What else is cooperation? Anyways, the only character that can interact with other player (and provide better cooperation) is tails. If you are playing with sonic and knuckles, changing your skin is everything you need to complete the level. As you said, srb2 isn't really cooperation friendly, but I belive it's still possible. By the way, I don't see any reason of changing your skin except spoiling your fun, because obstacles requring specific ability will always be possible to pass by changing your skin.

What he means by "forced cooperation" that all the elements of your level that make it cooperative have no individual merit. They aren't interesting on their own, they're just there to make your idea work. Imagine a level where the only thing you do is pressing buttons to open doors. That would be totally boring, right? Well, pressing a button to open a door for somebody else is just as boring. If you want to make a good cooperative level you need gameplay elements that pose a interesting challenges to players and require cooperation. The challenges you have right now aren't interesting, and they only involve one player at a time while the others stand around and wait, so it's not even cooperative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back