• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Level pack in-development (scr_ascension.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Errol

Scan Progress: 74%
I have recently begun development on a level pack of my own - scr_ascension.wad - which is going to span five zones in the final version, with each level having two or more acts, not counting the boss. This is an ambitious project but I have a lot of free time on my hands, and even if I only manage one or two levels, it's been okay, I learned new things in level-design.

That being said, I finished a beta of the first zone, first act, Red Cavern (lava/cave theme) and I honestly have no idea what unique gimmick to use in the second act, which is going to place more emphasis on the cave part. I may have it spend a significant portion of the time underwater.

The beta is incomplete in the following aspects:

- Not finished. The final will have a star post at the place of the current end level sign, and another segment.
- Thing placement is rather rushed right now. I need better placed rings and enemies, and some more secrets, altho there are already two extra lives hidden around. Try to find them ;) More exploration would be nice too.
- Perhaps some other stuff. Some things are a bit tacked on, like the water part.

Multiple pathes are already in. The difficulty is about THZ level. At this point, depending on path, an average player would need 45 seconds to 1 minute to complete, and I'm fairly sure that a 30 second run is possible.

I'm placing this here for feedback, ideas, and a dev thread and the like.

Linky on the SRB2FFH (current version): http://srb2ffh.supersanctuary.net/205scr_ascension.rar

/e: After some polyobject fiddling around it looks like I must scrap my boss idea for the first zone, which would have been a giant advancing wall of doom, as moving polyobjects don't crush stuff caught between them and a wall (they push you through the wall instead), so it looks like the only wayto fiddle around with that idea would be having you do some platforming above a bottomless pit while aforementioned giant wall of doom presses you to be fast, but that would be a little hardcore for first boss. Might be used in the last stage though. Until then, I'll probably simply insert the Eggmobile, in a slightly altered arena.

Last edited:
/e: After some polyobject fiddling around it looks like I must scrap my boss idea for the first zone, which would have been a giant advancing wall of doom, as moving polyobjects don't crush stuff caught between them and a wall (they push you through the wall instead), so it looks like the only wayto fiddle around with that idea would be having you do some platforming above a bottomless pit while aforementioned giant wall of doom presses you to be fast, but that would be a little hardcore for first boss. Might be used in the last stage though. Until then, I'll probably simply insert the Eggmobile, in a slightly altered arena.

Instead of using a PolyObject Spawn, use a PolyObject SpawnCrush. That'll get the effect you want.

Updated the pack.

- Red Cavern Act 1 is now complete, more or less. Could use more secrets and a bit of polish, but that's it. Roughly one minute of playing time.

- Included an alpha of the boss act. It features a moving polyobject which you must outrun. Horrendously incomplete though, and I can't get that damn rope pulley to work, so I'd like a bit of troubleshooting help there.

Enjoy!

http://srb2ffh.supersanctuary.net/978scr_ascension.rar

-- Oh nice let's play the level pack...:D
-- ... oh noes, it won't work. D:

SRB2 Error:
Too many flats in level.

I loaded it by ADDFILE and used MAP01: crash!

Hm? Now what's that? I'll look it up right away.

/e: I certainly misplaced the map headers. Let's see if that will fix it.

/e2: It works now for me, but I noticed an error that causes the map to be nigh-incompletable with Sonic (ugh), so I'll need to fix it and adjust stuff and all. Damnit!

/e3: New linkie. This is the (hopefully) fixed version.

http://srb2ffh.supersanctuary.net/205scr_ascension.rar

Last edited:
Turn the linedef with the Rope Hang Paremeters special 90 degrees to the right, and set your zoom tube waypoints to have an angle of 0, 1, 2, etc in sequence.

Also, to avoid breaking your polyobject in the process, set the Y offset of the Follow Waypoints linedef to 1, and set the zoom tube waypoints for that to 256 and 257, in that order. And if you want it to stay at the last waypoint, Effects 3 and 4 on the linedef don't need to be checked.

Last edited:
...I'm glad that there are people like you, Red, who actually understand these things.

Aanyway, any opinions for the only finished act in this pack?

/e: Red, please elaborate what exactly I should set on the Zoom Tube Waypoints. Z height? Angle? Bitset?

Last edited:
Sorry, but I forgot something. I'd recommend you use FOFs for the circular parts of the pulley instead of raising the sector. It looks and works better.

Also, the finished level could still use a little bit of work. I'd recommend using water for the lava blocks instead of just making the floor act like lava. And also, there was a lava raising segment in the level where I jumped onto a rock platform and got stuck because the lava rose around me, but the platform didn't. You might wanna fix that.

I'd like to keep my lava the way it is though. (Similar to RVZ lava here, I think. Falling through the floor in the rising lava segment would be incredibly annoying.) Lava is MOLTEN ROCK, and has a high high density. The level needs a bit of work regardless - thing placing, I'm looking at you - but, yeah, will look a bit over it. Fix won't be released until after that smoothing of edges is done.

I see your point, but a Water FOF with fire damage acts solid on the top, which should be the effect you want, right? (Unless you check the No Climb flag)

Does it? Didn't check. And anyway, what advantage would it have to my blunt solution? Cosmetical advantages, I presume? In that case, it would be low priority.

Anyway, special treat, this is what my design doc/wishlist for the game's second boss, the Hydroegg, amounts to: (HUGE IMAGE, TAKE WARNING)

hydroegg.jpg

Also, kudos if you can read my handwriting. Will provide a transcript soonish.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back