• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Making my first CTF map

Status
Not open for further replies.

amperbee

thunderdome denizen
Story: I thought about finally making a serious map. After several failed attempts of making nothing in general, I found about Zone Builder.
And there I went, with my portable toaster and Windows paint, and made a really rough drawing out of circles and the pencil tool.
This was supposedly the structure of the map. I wasn't really sure what I was doing so I overlaid several circles.
0NhDO9B.png

Long story short, I made a "proof of concept" map based on that image
6XGoXkb.jpg

More images:
PMnPhd9.png

So far you can see the red and blue bases, separated by a glass wall

Tfpx0O8.png

The "center" part of the map, where you can see a wall with a different texture.
That wall wasn't exactly supposed to be here, but it was needed or you would be able to capture a flag really quickly. The idea is to go around the map, right?

krlcbCw.png

Half a donut. Or a disk, I'm not sure.

3TDG01D.png

Inside the water.

FtwvAhF.png

A tunnel. The FOF above the tunnel should be taller but I forgot to update the height.

I'm posting this here to get feedback, because something feels missing here.
I thought about changing the theme of the map to something Arid Canyon related to place a few ropes around.

So far, the map only contains a player spawn, the two flags, and blue springs in the water area.
I don't know how tall can the walls be before it is deemed "textures are everywhere, too repetitive", and you shouldn't be able to climb to the top of the walls. If you manage to run at a high speed towards one of the bases and jump at the right moment, you can make it at the top of the map, thing that made me consider on making a ceiling where the bases are.

While in the meanwhile I'll replace the textures to something else and add more stuff around, am I doing the map thing right?

Last edited:
Looks pretty cool. I mainly make match map but i had a crack at making my own CTF map.

Based on my experience it looks cool and has a nice variation with the slopes. Maybe mix up some slopes so they go down rather than up all the time, just a thought.

From the 2nd Screenshot the actual map, the slope looks pretty steap for slower characters to reach up to but it looks cool.

The main concept of the whole map is neat. I would add some more deco around the map to make it seem more like a map.

Keep up with the work!

I changed some stuff in the map.

I've added a block that rises when you spindash on top of it. I might use it for stuff I guess?
The map also features a gimmick involving water and throwing the player to a side.
I've changed the design of the bases for now.

I made a video, showing a new gimmick:
The entire gimmick loops every 10 seconds:
After 5 tics, a quake starts (for 2 seconds or so).
Then water rises extremely quickly and a script resets the player momentum, then sets the Z momentum to 6 and Y to -12, as to push everyone to a side. Players lose control for 2 seconds.
After that time is over, the water dissapears.
And 6 seconds later the cycle loops, starting again.

This is the video I'm talking about (YouTube).

Also, I learned how to use Upper Unpegged for timed linedef executors. It wasn't that complicated like I originally thought!
aFEIr8x.png

And more images!
aR3zQPG.png

Hey I found a graphical glitch

UAJSVRb.png

This is the new design for the flag base, at least for now until I decide for a new theme for the map.
Since it will have rising water, I could make the map involve tubes. Something like Techno Hill but instead of being inside a factory, you're inside a pipe that transports water.

pPAgg4I.png

There's this thing, where you can hang onto to avoid getting carried away by the water.
Of course I'm going to make it look like an actual platform you can hang onto! Maybe as ropes in between walls, or some ERZ2 thing you can hang onto?

LmIsp1h.png

Also, this block. Does nothing useful as for yet.

If I find a new theme for the map that fits for the gimmick, I could use it as an excuse to extend the walls to the ceiling.

That's pretty much it for now.

Last edited:
Since you get pushed to the south, might as well make the push more dangerous.
When the water rises and you get pushed, that's it, you just lose speed and control and you're pushed, but you don't lose anything.

So... This needs a hazard.
Jh2lGyX.jpg

Now this section is a pit. This might be a temporary change, however.
If I change the map theme, this could just be a damaging sector.

I'm planning to make the map more Techno Hill like, but I cannot find a way to make the map look nice. Adding the textures directly makes the map seem too flat and uninteresting.
Might as well add some details, be it things or more sectors with some other texture to act as decoration.

I changed something!

I've added a 3D skybox; I've changed the colormap of the water; I've added a thing that ejects you from the level (and kills you) if the water throws you behind the big slope; I forgot to change the ceiling flat; I changed all the textures, mixing some THZ and ERZ; and I made possible going up. that is, instead of running in the floor you can now go up levels, instead of making giant walls to the ceiling.
Oh, and the rising water throws you farther, so if you aren't in a safe place (there's plenty of places around), you will most likely die.

I did something with an image editor and corrupted all the other screenshots.
But I have these two:

Overview:
0YCnXp9.png

A tunnel that sends you outside the level:
m5tK1f9.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back