• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Yoshi's Various Level Designs

Status
Not open for further replies.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Another two maps!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• srb20543.jpg
    srb20543.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 821
  • srb20545.jpg
    srb20545.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,351
  • srb20546.jpg
    srb20546.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 798
  • srb20549.jpg
    srb20549.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 871
  • srb20551.jpg
    srb20551.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 801
  • srb20554.jpg
    srb20554.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 273
  • srb20557.jpg
    srb20557.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 759
  • srb20559.jpg
    srb20559.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 761
There are an absurd number of screenshots here of a very large number of maps, but they all give off the same feeling: lack of detail and an emphasis on quantity over quality. You don't want to make thirty crappy maps; sit down and spend some real time on a single one, release it, and get some feedback. A good single player map takes about a month of working on it in your free time. Choose the map you like the best and actually give it some polish and effort instead of quickly moving on to another one.

There are an absurd number of screenshots here of a very large number of maps, but they all give off the same feeling: lack of detail and an emphasis on quantity over quality. You don't want to make thirty crappy maps; sit down and spend some real time on a single one, release it, and get some feedback. A good single player map takes about a month of working on it in your free time. Choose the map you like the best and actually give it some polish and effort instead of quickly moving on to another one.

I have to agree with Mystic here on this. Quality is better when it comes to map making.

Alright... but can you be more specific as to which one's need the most work and where they need it?

What Mystic means is that it's up to you to decide which level you want to SERIOUSLY work on, once you've made your choice, you can focus on making said level good by putting time into it. It takes time to get something decent both gameplay-wise and visual-wise, but it's much better than a bunch of pretty rushed maps :P

Alright... but can you be more specific as to which one's need the most work and where they need it?
All of these look severely under the minimum effort threshold you should be putting in. This thread is three weeks old, yet you seem to have shown five or more maps that don't appear to have any real time put into them. Hell, you're even going overboard on screenshots, just spamming the thread with pictures of absolutely everything. I'd wager you've already posted more pictures of these maps in this thread than we posted of 2.1 for the entire dev cycle.

What you need to do is stop thinking with the number of maps (and screenshots) and start thinking about quality. Make one good map, not twenty bad ones. Spend at least a month on a single stage, polish it, test it, get friends to test it, revise it to fix the problems you found, add even more details and polish, and then submit and release it. Then after release, see what feedback you get and polish it some more to fix the problems you didn't anticipate.

There is no quick way to make quality levels, and even the levels that you spend real effort on at the start will often turn out badly and you'll learn lessons and improve. Simply making tons of crap and not caring about the result isn't going to get you anywhere, though.

A new zone I've been working on.

Grassy Temple Zone

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• srb20568.jpg
    srb20568.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 621
  • srb20569.jpg
    srb20569.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 612
  • srb20570.jpg
    srb20570.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 622
  • srb20571.jpg
    srb20571.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 627
  • srb20572.jpg
    srb20572.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 607
  • srb20575.jpg
    srb20575.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 592
  • srb20576.jpg
    srb20576.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 638
  • srb20577.jpg
    srb20577.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 607
  • srb20578.jpg
    srb20578.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 574
  • srb20579.jpg
    srb20579.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 591
Last edited:
UPDATE: Grassy Temple Zone Act 1 is nearly complete! I don't have any screenshots right now, but all I've got left is some decoration, and then it'll be submissions time! I'll probably post some screenshots when I get the chance later. It'll probably be a few days until it's finished.

So, I've been doing some things with lighting to make it more smooth. IMO the levels look better without the abrupt lighting changes, so I'm extending the amount of time it takes to make this map by doing some lighting experiments. Here's some examples:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• srb20010.jpg
    srb20010.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 538
  • srb20011.jpg
    srb20011.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 561
Well OpenGL isn't the best example to help show lighting so its sort of hard to tell

Well OpenGL isn't the best example to help show lighting so its sort of hard to tell

I just tested it in software, and it doesn't look too bad. Of course, OpenGL still looks better, but software's fine. I did notice a colormap problem, and the wiki's colormap page's colormap list (where I get the water colormap from) still looks like shit in software.

It depends on how you set it up, you can still get Blue colormap in Software mode, OpenGL colormaps look washed-out in some cases.

But I'm referring to the colormap on the wiki #40A0FFJ it's grey in software. Yes, it's not too visible in OpenGL, but software is still grey. Kinda like the ACZ water in Technic Jungle, which made it nearly impossible to see in software.

At the start, I can see the blue, but, yes, it seems too grey. Especially compared to the water surface, which seems more blue than the colormap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back