2.2 Preview - With Slopes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
precipitation was completely broken and absent in OpenGL mode

That's a regression? As far as I'm aware it's either A: never worked, or B: only "worked" to the extent that it made the framerate drop to near zero.

(I just checked 2.0. It doesn't exist there either.)

Last edited:
Precipitation used to "work" in OpenGL in terms of randomly working in some areas but not working most everywhere else, so you'd get a small area where it would rain but right next to it it wouldn't. It never properly worked in OGL, even at implementation.

Ok, I'm thinking of SRB2CB. Just played CEZ, and precipitation works flawlessly. Perhaps some code could be borrowed/referenced from that (if it's available)?

Well, DCZ and EGZ is planned, according to the wiki, but I don't know if this confirms them to be in 2.4 or later versions.

Question: What is the possibility of Loops in SRB2 thanks to this slope addition? Will it be possible in 2D as well? Also, if this were to be the case, would there be sprites created to indicate rotation e.g. running up a wall from a slope?

This has been gone over multiple times, but loops aren't going to be a thing. I believe the reason is no one wants to go through the effort of creating a ton of new sprites for each character (this would even include custom characters). To add to that, loops aren't actual gameplay. They're just scripted visual filler. They work fine in some sonic games but they wouldn't work here.

Last edited:
The slopes don't let you do it even if we had sprites. Floors/ceilings and walls are handled entirely differently by the game. Slopes are angled floors or ceilings, not walls. This works fine for normal gameplay, but doesn't allow for loops at all. You'd run up the bottom half of the loop and just stop dead when it hits 90 degrees, because that's a wall and you can't run on walls. The slopes honestly don't work very well beyond 45 degrees anyways.

Not to mention the fact that in 3D, you can just walk through the center of the loop without going around it anyways. What would even be the point? Even if you went through all the trouble to rewrite massive parts of the engine to make it work, all you've got is something pretty that's completely impractical. Our camera would absolutely cry going through something like that, and nobody would ever actually go around it except to see if they even could.

Welp, you all promised that we will have 2.2 this year. Not revealed the estimated month or day because i know what you say, Mystic. There is NO Release Date. It's OUT when it's DONE.

Last edited:
Our camera would absolutely cry going through something like that, and nobody would ever actually go around it except to see if they even could.

And that would be a terrible thing to do to a camera that's been nothing but good to us its whole life. Though it's definitely not without its flaws, in a game franchise that's notorious for having frustratingly atrocious cameras since it added a 3 to its D, srb2's camera is easily the most reliable and flexible Sonic camera in existence, IMO.

Oh, speaking of which, would it be possible to add some limited console functionality to record attack in the interest of at least allowing some camera adjustment? I play all other modes with a height of 70 and distance of 190. Being stuck with the defaults feels like being forced up Sonic's ass, which is kind of awkward for the both of us and doesn't make him go any faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back