Concerning the "Rail Ring"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off Topic:
-A rail ring hypocrite. Yes. I use rail rings to prove how cheap and easy they are to use. 8D Problem Officers?
jackie-chan-illuminati.jpg

------------------

Anyway,

I'm not gonna directly oppose the things listed on the OP and brush it off like it's not even slightly an issue like a few other people have, because I've been there. Been batted around the map, been knocked back for miles and lost emeralds, been completely unable to leave the base in nimbus ruins and by god that was a salty game. Even had several hosts openly admit that they're deliberately targeting me around the map with rails (waaaaaaaa boo hoo so many sob stories). Then there's other things I can agree with, like Tails being an easy rail target compared to Knuckles and Sonic. Blatantly lacks the ability to move unpredictably, you just look at where his momentum is taking him and then just aim slightly further than that. It also feels to me like the rail ring's ease of use is heavily biased towards the host and or anybody with low ping for obvious reasons. Like really, using it against bots in SRB2CB and sometimes SRB2CS is really not an issue if you practice long enough, but trying to read somebody's movements in a server from a continent away? Not so lucky. I do know people who are capable of doing that, but I see those same people miss occasionally, too. And finally, rails are a massive turnoff for anyone new and trying to get into the game.

But on the other hand, rail rings have also saved my skin in CTF from people that are too far away to get hit by any other weapon. Look at the short corridors in Twisted Terminal. There have been countless times where no amount of spam can catch up to a speeding opponent that i'm trying to chase down, because they're already about to make the next turn, and I can see that they're doing that and rail them in the direction they're clearly about to go or get locked down by the flurry of rings anyway. Then there's nimbus ruins. Say you're now playing the brand new SRB2: Superjustinbros edition, trying to shoot someone far away, moving up the 4 platforms of the base, who are jumping and have options, because I mean how are you going to consistently read where the enemy is going to be by the time your flurry of rings reaches them? Then there's trying to shoot people with "non-uber" rings up the staircase to Silver Cascade Zone, or trying to hit someone going up the flag base's spring in Cloud Palace Zone. In situations like that, I find that rail rings can be a good last resort as opposed to just turning around and thinking "well, I guess that's a free capture"

For now though, I deal with being railed fine. I'll just later stay out of a snipers' way and if I get hit, I get the hell outta there, leaving weapon panels and all.

TL;DR? I think rails are indeed strong right now and rails vs Tails is pretty free. However, their range is useful when chasing an opponent in situations where they would usually escape. If someone's having problems dealing with them as of right now, I could only suggest being an unpredictable Sonic, and not just thokking like a mad man and being simple. Use your tools. You're quick, you have a beastly strafe, your thok can be curved for some reason (shoutout to hybrid), you can change direction on a dime, and even character select is rooting for you!

Last edited:
What Atlas is trying to say is if you can't handle being shot with a rail, you can't handle match. The very fact that we are all here arguing because some people can snipe better the others is stupid. The rail ring is just like any other weapon. It has advantages and disadvantages. The only reason you guys think it's overpowered is because that is what people tend to use more often. No one is saying "everyone here can't play match." Just chill out with the rails. There are more ways to counter then just railing back ya know.

Also,

Great job misunderstanding what I'm trying to say yo

No real point in arguing because it's going to come down to whose grammar is better (as always)

By the looks of your sentence, you lost the battle. :P

Last edited:
I'd like to note that I stated earlier that we are quite well aware of the problem that rail is the only long-range weapon. While it's not going to make it for 2.1, the main additional weapon planned is another long-range weapon to make it so you don't need rail to counter rail.

Thread was pretty much answered here, I'm satisfied.

Not really what I'm trying to say but...

Dreazy gets the point. Honestly I know what it feels like to be in those posistions considering I have used every character (not a good tails flying wise, but still fun to play as).

It just isn't as bad as people think it is in my opinion.

Edit: Since everything has died down as it seems I guess his can be ignored lol

Tails can spin dash-fly. That is his most effective method against railers... But it's being removed in 2.1...

Well ya. DUDE (Also Known as Chopper) is a pretty good example of a person who knows how to use tails. Trust me, you can't rail this guy. (Hence rails are not overpowered.)

Trust me. You don't have to rely on flying to be a good tails user. Witnessed that first hand.

Then you may as well just play someone else, since he has no other redeeming things about him.

Ok first I don't mean to be rude but I want rails to stay rails been on since final demo and it needs to stay e.e if there gonna replace my best ring with some other crap it needs to be long range , fast , and as strong as the rail ring

Ok first I don't mean to be rude but I want rails to stay rails been on since final demo and it needs to stay e.e if there gonna replace my best ring with some other crap it needs to be long range , fast , and as strong as the rail ring

Reasons that would make this supposed new weapon just as bad, if not worse than the current rail ring. Which would cause players to end up making a thread similar to this one and the process would repeat itself once more.

The rail ring isn't bad, Mystic already summed up all the reasons why everyone rages when hit by a rail ring. Though in my opinion, they should just remove the rail, and any future weapons similar to it, from the game entirely. The other rings, with the exception of the bounce ring, already travel the entire distance of a map, so in a way they all serve as long range weapons. I've had my moments where I've hit players across Nimbus Ruins with Scatter and Bomb rings from the distance between both bases.

Whatever is done in the end, hopefully it balances the way we use rings in Match and CTF.

There are way to many essays here for me to read so I'm just going to say this to hopefully end it all.

You can't blame rails for being overpowered because well firstly they aren't cause not every one can use them really well. (Tip: You can easily counter rails with scatter rings it will make yourself much harder to hit when some one is trying to rail you.)

The only thing you can complain about is the player using it. You can whine, bitch and cry all about the player using it for all I care. However, one thing you can't do is tell the player what he/she should or shouldn't be using.
The player downloaded this game to play it however they want and if they want to play it "abusing rails" then they have every right to.
I know this is short but In my opinion its 100% correct.

Hopefully this solves this argument some of the things I've seen in this topic I just shake my head to.

PS: Shoutout to Dreazy.

Last edited:
Maybe you should learn to aim to understand how difficult it is to actually be able to rail.

Step 1: Aim.
Step 2: Click.
Step 3: Profit~!

Easy enough. :I

I have no issue using rails on people AT ALL. They're hillarious to use but it FEELS cheap just to use them. Not rewarding at all, unless they're thokking all over the place spamming explosions and you hit them once and launch them into a pit of death. Yessss.

But honestly... *shudder* Fuck rails.

They're like the newbie killer. The first few times I got hit by rails my main reaction was "Well how the fuck do you dodge THAT?!" No warning = No possible dodge. No possible dodge = Frustration and death and losing everything.

Rails are just cheap in my opinion.

-Edit-

Though I agree with DUDE.
If it's in the game, you have every right to exploit it. It's like most games. All games EVER that have weapons. There's always an overpowered one that everyone uses just because of that fact.

But it's still cheap.

-Another edit-

Also you shouldn't be forced to play as a different character JUST to avoid getting hit by a certain weapon. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:
There are way to many essays here for me to read so I'm just going to say this to hopefully end it all.

You can't blame rails for being overpowered because well firstly they aren't cause not every one can use them really well. (Tip: You can easily counter rails with scatter rings it will make yourself much harder to hit when some one is trying to rail you.)

The only thing you can complain about is the player using it. You can whine, bitch and cry all about the player using it for all I care. However, one thing you can't do is tell the player what he/she should or shouldn't be using.
The player downloaded this game to play it however they want and if they want to play it "abusing rails" then they have every right to.
I know this is short but In my opinion its 100% correct.

Hopefully this solves this argument some of the things I've seen in this topic I just shake my head to.

PS: Shoutout to Dreazy.
Again, your entire argument is 'lolskill, git-gud', which was pretty much debunked earlier in the thread. This thread really IS going in circles now and no one is learning anything, it's like literally no brain progress has been made.

Yes, people have every right to spam rails if they want to. But the fact that people are complaining about it MUST mean that something is wrong with the rail ring. So obviously, SOMETHING - I don't know what - should be done about it. Also,

This thread really IS going in circles now and no one is learning anything, it's like literally no brain progress has been made.
this.

Yes, people have every right to spam rails if they want to. But the fact that people are complaining about it MUST mean that something is wrong with the rail ring. So obviously, SOMETHING - I don't know what - should be done about it.

I've been here long enough to know that every one has complained about every ring besides the default red rings.

The one thing they all have in common is the person that would complain would say that it is spammed which you also just said to.

Last edited:
There's a reason rails are complained about all the time, they're unfair for several reasons and have no counter weapon. The topic was for criticism and discussion about how broken the rail ring is, and Mystic already answered the topic way earlier about the fact that it's going to be looked at after 2.1's release. The developer even realises that they have a prominant issue. Many people have already stated their complaints and criticism on the rail ring, most of it being valid and reasonable accusations, the only people who support it say to 'just evade better (you can't see it coming the first time around, so this point is null anyways) and get good at the game (this point could be said for anything in any game. Ignoring problems does not mean they don't exist)'.

So far, the only actual sensical answer from the other crowd in here has been to fight rails with rails if it's an issue, but that basically means using a cheap weapon against another cheap weapon is the only real way to bypass this, and that simply won't do. A mechanic of match is how a lot of rings can be easily counteracted with others, but rail currently is on top of the food chain. And the simple issue us that there shouldn't be anything on top of said food chain, it needs actual BALANCE.

It's not the cheapest weapon for racking points by far, look at grenade and bomb rings. But it has the issue of not being counterable by anything, and taking people by complete surprise with no chance because they use hitscan. It is not hard to use either. It has the same hitbox as every single other ring in the game, and moves at light speed. While the other weapons require prediction and masterful timing to land hits on fast moving target; the rail ring is simply a play toy.

Honestly, the topic was answered with the fact that the vanilla-devs are already going to work on it, people started going in circles after the first page or so. There is no reason to keep this up unless anyone has CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, ideas on how to make it a less annoying weapon or a new ring that could counteract it (though that may be borderline suggestions).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back