• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Greeman's New Design - Your Opinion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scizor300

a man denied his homeland
My god, Greeman has gone through a massive redesign.

greemannewdesign1.png

This is much less generic from Greeman's old design, and it looks quite better too!

The sprite hasn't been shaded, sadly, and i'm probably going to end up adding more to the design.

Your opinions? Should I keep this design?

I liked the way he was before... Shaped more like a top... That was more original...

This redesign reminds me of Bomberman: Act Zero. That's not a good thing.

Last edited:
I don't like the new design. It seems generic, which is funny, because that's what you're trying to avoid.
I don't like the eyes. It looks like he's wearing flat goggles or something.

To me he looks like Worm-Man-McGreen or something like that...
I like the old one better!

Looks like a generic thing from space, and is even MORE unoriginal than Greeman. And more ugly too.

I try to make Greeman less generic...
I come up with a new, less simple design...
It's hated more than the original sprite...

;_;

That's because it's astronomically ugly. Surely you can just look at it and tell this yourself.

It would look better on a lower resolution sprite. The character's design looks solid enough, but fleshing that out is gonna be a nightmare unless you downsize.

Reiterating from what I had said on IRC..
<Flame> I didn't take a favouring to the original design.
<Flame> I especially don't like it's new design.
<Flame> In my opinion and to be blunt, it sucks.
<Flame> Really though, you're like a recuring itch with the whole Greenman thing.
<Flame> What's worse is that no matter how much you could scratch that itch, it won't go away.
<Flame> Sure, it might have been a good idea at first, though I think it's time for you to start over and create something anew.

<Flame> A child and his lollipop for instance.
<Flame> Let the child have the lollipop and he's happy.
<Flame> Take it away from him and he starts to bawl.
<Flame> It's going to take many licks until the lollipop dissapears, though the child is happy while he still has it.
<Flame> Though it is by the child's hands that he is able to find find something more extraordinary and forget about the lollipop.
<Flame> In Scizor's case, Greenman is Scizor's lollipop.

It's an echidna, it's a robot, NO it's Darth Greeman!
Anyway, I don't prefer the old design, but I don't like it either. Try making it look like a sonic character, a robot, or SOMETHING that isn't just a green dude with a metal mask and joints, or just a green dude with no detail.
Or you could get more detailed, maybe enough so you can see the bolt heads, and things of the sort, and not looking like something made in MS paint in 2 minutes.

It instantly reminds me of Bomberman Zero. In that, umm, a reasonably simplistic and actually kinda cute character design goes all dark and edgy for the sake of trying something new for a change, and butchers the character so damned badly that it completely misses the point of what the original was trying to achieve. I actually liked the prospect of a walking MSN Buddy icon with detached limbs and you might actually have gotten somewhere with that had you just tweaked the details over time, but this is just plain getting ridiculous.

Greeman's been converted to size, and now has a new S_SKIN.
greemanv2spritesheet.png

He's red for more dynamic shading, as opposed to just using the green pallete.

The shading is horrible, and it's suber obvious you just edited the head and feet for the back pose, and the side pose is super skinny, with inconsistent (and tiny) feet.

Entry.png

The original greenman.
EDIT: Now that I examine closely, it looks more like a mastercheif ripoff with a toaster for a head.

Last edited:
Greeman has been discontinued

Attention, Greeman has been discontinued for good. There will be no more progress, releases, or even anything to do with Greeman anymore.

And these big, bolded letters are here to make my point clearer.

Anyways, this topic needs a well-deserved lock.

fireworks.gif
fireworks.gif
fireworks.gif

*shot*

But in all seriousness Scizor300, you did the right thing. There are just some things that cannot be recovered, and you just gotta say goodbye. Greeman was definitely one of them. It may be hard to detatch, but that's the way life is sometimes. RIP Greeman. Or pieces, since none of his libs were really attached or anything until this "update" or whatever.

Scizor, I'm actually kind of sad and disappointed in you. I know either version of Greeman wasn't great, but one of the most satisfying things in the world is to see something mediocre gradually become something good through constructive criticism and hard work. If anything, Greeman had potential.

But whatever. I'm sure you've moved onto bigger and better things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back