Sonic Robo Blast 2 for the Super Nintendo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmar198

Doom was ported to the Super Nintendo using the Super FX-2 chip. It also used a custom graphics engine called NRage/Reality Engine, but the engine acted just like the Doom engine. Can you imagine if Sonic Robo Blast 2 could be ported to the Super Nintendo? If a game like this had been available at the SNES launch, the N64 might never have been thought necessary. But I wonder if it would even be possible. If the Super Nintendo could run Doom, I would think it could run at least parts of Sonic Robo Blast 2. I assume Sonic Robo Blast 2 is a bigger game, but are there any other things that couldn't work? Would it be a problem that there is no ceiling in Sonic? What are your thoughts?

The main thing I've heard and experienced so far is that many of the levels in SRB2 are WAY too big for anything that could run on a console, let alone something like the SNES. and while I've seen some pretty amazing things done with these old consoles, right now even the PSP can't handle anything more than GFZ 1 in it's current state (which has not been updated past 2.0.6 IIRC).

In short; while it would be really awesome if it DID work, I don't think the hardware has enough processing power to make such a thing even remotely possible unless you designed new chips (which in my opinion feels a bit cheaty).

I often wonder how many people who suggest this have ever PLAYED Doom for the SNES. It runs absolutely awful. There's no way that SRB2, a game with levels and features that require about ten times the processing power of the original, would have any remote chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back