What video games would you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashtheman14

Not this moron again...
Yes what would YOU recommend? A certain game? category? or graphicly appealing? Just recommend a game or post your favourite it dosen't matter which.
this seems like it may have been done before...

Kingdom Hearts series

I know most of you will all scream "OMfg squarz alwaz haz girl emos1111" but look past that. You get a fun game that will last many hours. You will also want to replay it over and over it again.

The music is also awesome.

Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Vesperia. (Can I recommend both?) Both great RPGs in gameplay and story, there's also plenty extra to do that will keep you going for a long time. :D

Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Vesperia. (Can I recommend both?) Both great RPGs in gameplay and story, there's also plenty extra to do that will keep you going for a long time. :D
This. I love Tales of Symphonia and have over a thousand hours of gameplay, with many different gameplay runs.

If you're looking for a solid and difficult platformer/puzzler hybrid for the Nintendo DS, Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure is the way to go. Albeit, most of the difficulty comes from the platforming, the puzzling element isn't that difficult.

If you're a fan of more Traditional RPGs, I would recommend picking up Lost Odyssey. It has a damned good storyline, the game is beautiful, and becomes pretty difficult every now and then.

The Battle System is a little basic though (like FF1 basic), though it uses minor gimmicks here and there to make it more fun.

Do note that I've not played as many games as the next man, but I think I can give a pretty solid recommendation for different genres.

(Quest games are like roleplaying games except without being classified as such. Arcade/Niche would include sandbox, time attack and high score based games.)
  • First Person Shooters
    • Half-Life 2 series
    • Metroid Prime series
    • Mechwarrior series
  • Multiplayer Shooters
    • Left 4 Dead series
    • Team Fortress 2
  • Quest Games
    • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    • Okami (PS2)
  • Platformers
    • Spyro II: Rypto's Rage
    • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Sidescrollers
    • Cave Story
    • Super Metroid
    • Sonic 3 and Knuckle
  • Strategy
    • Total War series
    • Starcraft Anthology
    • The Lost Vikings series
  • Puzzle
    • Portal
    • Braid
    • World of Goo
  • Arcade/Niche
    • Touhou series
    • de Blob
    • Audiosurf
  • Party
    • Wii Sports Resort
    • Super Smash Bros Brawl
    • New Super Mario Bros Wii
This should be enough for you to find something. Note that the taste between different games even in the same category varies widely. I've played all of these but Left 4 Dead... but everybody in my family plays that so I think I have a decent understanding of it.

I think this HAS been done before, but I'll just list the games I like.

Wii

Super Mario Galaxy
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
Super Paper Mario
Punch-Out!!
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Mario Kart Wii
Wii Fit

Playstation 3

LittleBigPlanet
Killzone 2
Call of Duty: Modern Warefare 2 (Inb4 rage.)
Sonic Unleashed

As for Gamecube and others, I don't feel like listing them, 'casue I'm lazy. :) Oh, and I don't own an Xbox 360.

Here are the games I can enthusiastically recommend for now. All linked games can be played online, downloaded in their entirety, or can be sampled as a demo, for free.

Sonic series
Sonic 1 through Sonic 3+K
Sonic CD
Sonic Spinball
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Sonic Triple Trouble
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Advance
Sonic Robo Blast 2
Sonic the Hedgehog: Time Attacked

Other platformers
Any of the Donkey Kong Lands
Duck Tales (Game Boy)
Wario Land
Tinhead (Genesis)
Yoshi's Island
Wario Land 4
Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex
Viewtiful Joe 2
Super Mario Galaxy
Wario Land: Shake It!
Klanoa (Wii)
de Blob
Redder
Dino Run

Shooters
Galaga
Metriod Prime 3
Half-Life 2
Cave Story
rRootage

RPGs
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Avernum 3
The Golden Sun duo
Pokemon Leaf Green
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Racing Games
Mario Kart: Double Dash

Puzzle
Time Fcuk

Strategy
Pac Man and Ms. Pac Man
Bubble Tanks Tower Defense

Rhythm
Sausage Factory

Miscellaneous
WarioWare: Twisted
Yume Nikki

Last edited:
My recommendations are pretty much the games I favor the most.

Platformers
Any Genesis Sonic Games
Sonic CD
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
The first three Spyro games
Crash Bandicoot
Jak and Daxter
Super Mario Brothers X (fangame)
Pac-Man World 2

First Person Shooters
Portal
GMod
TimeSplitters: Future Perfect

RPGs
Legaia 2: Duel Saga
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Earthbound/Mother 2
Mother 3
Mario and Luigi series
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy

Others
Super Smash Bros.
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
Nancy Drew adventure series (Yes, I actually like those games)
echochrome
echoshift
Luigi's Mansion

I have a mental block; I'll add more games later.

Well time for me to make a list....

X-Box 360
*Shooters*
-Gears of War 1-2 - I find myself liking this game for unknown reasons; I really think it's the art style. It's good fun though.
-Halo 3 ODST: Let me get this straight right now; I hate the original Halo 3, it's an utter piece of garbage with only one semi-redeemable feature: the online. ODST breaks away from the original Halo 3 by removing your ability of being god, and your immunity to death among other things. ODST's story is short, but sweet in the way it pulls off the survival feel extremely well. Plus ODST comes with the only decent part of Halo 3 (the online) so fun fun fun.

*RPGs*
-Lost Odyssey (see previous post).
-Castle Crashers: Castle Crashers is more of an Action Adventure game, though it has RPG elements so I'll through it in here.

*RPSs (Role Playing Shooters)*
-Borderlands
-Borderlands
-Zombie Island of Doctor Ned
(Borderlands DLC)
-The Secret Armory of General Knoxx (Borderlands DLC that's better than the actual game).
-oh and Borderlands

*Platformers*
-The Assassin Creed games are platformers in their own right, damned good action adventurish game too.
-Sonic Unleashed: It's really cheap right now, so it's well worth the buy.
-Banjo & Kazooie: I downloaded this game, and asked myself "Where the hell was I when I had my N64" since I obviously did not play it beforehand. It's worth your money: all of it, buy it. Now.

Nintendo Wii
-Okami
There; that's it; nothing else at all, just this game.

Nintendo DS
RPGs
Pokemon: Platinum
Pokemon: HG/SS
Final Fantasy 3-4
Chrono Trigger
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
(granted, nothing ever happens the first, oh, I dunno 355 days or so...)

Adventure/Logic/Puzzle etc.
-The Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth. Worth every damn cent you will put into buying this game. Every cent.
-The Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass: Not Spirit Tracks, the Train is even more pain inducing the the Temple of the Ocean King. I could go on a rant on how much Spirit Tracks sucks, but I don't want to waste anybody's time.

Go play the original Spyro trilogy. Copies are somewhat cheap on ebay and they're absolutely beautiful and dream like. I need to play htem over again to remember that games use to be good. I'm sick of all the FPS' and RPGs coming out.

And yes. Original trilogy. Looking at new Spyro, I look at new Sonic games and think they're the most wonderful thing in the world. Same goes for Crash Bandicoot. Probably worse.
Ah yeah~ Go play crash also~ The originals on the PSX.

Also Aha! My fancy useless image links catch your attention! >:P

Last edited:
If you like FPS games, I'd strongly recommend any of the great First Person games by Valve.
(Half-life, Team Fortress, Portal, etc.)

Well time for me to make a list....

-The Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass: Not Spirit Tracks, the Train is even more pain inducing the the Temple of the Ocean King. I could go on a rant on how much Spirit Tracks sucks, but I don't want to waste anybody's time.
Thats just one of the very games I would have recommended myself but the way theres nothing to do after completing the game kinda sucks so I go and play it all over again just for the ride. This was the first ever zelda game I played (some people I know mistake link for zelda XD) so it was a brilliant introduction to the series.
Go play the original Spyro trilogy. Copies are somewhat cheap on ebay and they're absolutely beautiful and dream like. I need to play htem over again to remember that games use to be good. I'm sick of all the FPS' and RPGs coming out.

And yes. Original trilogy. Looking at new Spyro, I look at new Sonic games and think they're the most wonderful thing in the world.
YES! I've played all the originals and I still like them. It kind of makes me wish I took care of the disks better before they became unplayable D:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back