A Trio of 2.2 Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I think instead of throwing out super forms in Match/CTF for the sake of making it "more fair", I think maybe that we should utilize the Emeralds toggle, perhaps making it off by default.

Only speaking as a long-time CTF player here.

Or better yet keep it an optional feature that's off by default. Y'know, so people that actually want to keep playing a SONIC game can have the emeralds be a thing.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Personally, I think instead of throwing out super forms in Match/CTF for the sake of making it "more fair", I think maybe that we should utilize the Emeralds toggle, perhaps making it off by default.

Only speaking as a long-time CTF player here.

Or better yet keep it an optional feature that's off by default. Y'know, so people that actually want to keep playing a SONIC game can have the emeralds be a thing.
I agree. In my match/C.T.F. lifetime no one has used super to unfair extent. Also if I remember correctly after 5 minutes of super you start to burn 10 rings. To keep it safe I think by default it should be off.

Out of all the changes that have been revealed, this is the one I have a problem with. I really don't like match or ctf, not only because I couldn't hit a moving target if my life depended on it, but also because noone ever plays anything else. The only part of Match/ctf i enjoy is looking for the emeralds, in hopes of becoming super.(I've never done it in actual multiplayer before, but I get closer and closer.) Also, how is it overpowered? I can count the number of times I've seen someone go super on one hand. And none of them were super for long. And now the one thing I liked about the gametype is being removed. sigh...I hope they leave the option, at least. Because this whole "for points" thing is silly. They better be worth a lot of points if you want there to be any point in collecting them at all. If you do remove it, I hope someone makes a LUA script that puts it back in, because otherwise, the multiplayer has been ruined for me. I'm not mad, just upset.

Out of all the changes that have been revealed, this is the one I have a problem with. I really don't like match or ctf, not only because I couldn't hit a moving target if my life depended on it, but also because noone ever plays anything else. The only part of Match/ctf i enjoy is looking for the emeralds, in hopes of becoming super.(I've never done it in actual multiplayer before, but I get closer and closer.) Also, how is it overpowered? I can count the number of times I've seen someone go super on one hand. And none of them were super for long. And now the one thing I liked about the gametype is being removed. sigh...I hope they leave the option, at least. Because this whole "for points" thing is silly. They better be worth a lot of points if you want there to be any point in collecting them at all. If you do remove it, I hope someone makes a LUA script that puts it back in, because otherwise, the multiplayer has been ruined for me. I'm not mad, just upset.
Keep in mind there's no sting abuse. Anyway I will quote Mystic:

"There are a bunch of reasons why, but the most important one is that match supers are the worst kind of win-more mechanic. The player who is already winning is the only person who ever gets to experience the mechanic, and it just makes them even more completely unstoppable.

In case you all haven't noticed, one of the things we're actively trying to do to match is make it less harsh on the losers. 2.1's pity shield mechanic is the first step towards that, but we're going to be continuing to push for less mechanics that actively punish the losing players. Super forms are actively going against that policy."

yet again I don't see ramming into things a problem. Heck if you're bad at matches put "use mouse" on.
If you still suck at matches it skill and training.

Last edited:
yet again I don't see ramming into things a problem. Heck if you're bad at matches put "use mouse" on.
If you still suck at matches it skill and training.

Yeah, because it's so easy to aim things as fast as Sonics in the first place. Srsly, git gud jokes are getting too old.

Rslinger has always been unbalanced because of the host always being advantaged with the ping, and have an actual hitscan rail, that's the only thing that keeps me away from Match / CTF; the fact that you win easyly as the host using the rail and get destroyed (by the host) whenever you join a server because you suddently miss all your shots.

Yeah, because it's so easy to aim things as fast as Sonics in the first place. Srsly, git gud jokes are getting too old.

Rslinger has always been unbalanced because of the host always being advantaged with the ping, and have an actual hitscan rail, that's the only thing that keeps me away from Match / CTF; the fact that you win easyly as the host using the rail and get destroyed (by the host) whenever you join a server because you suddently miss all your shots.

First I have aspergers: a type of autism were I say/type stuff in the wrong way so thanks for rubbing it. I meant to say "It take time to be good at matches" not "LOL GET REKT SON!!!111one" and rails are only good when trolling or sniping. A rings are better when you are facing super forms. With the ping thing you can lower the player amount to 10-15 anything over 15 is stupid. After 5ish minutes you burn 10 rings not 1 unless theres a relaxed super forms somewhere.

Last edited:
I think you guys are misunderstanding something. Super is only good for a player who is already winning and has enough skill the maintain it for a long time. Remember that if someone has been dominating a game, they're not going to be going super with only fifty rings. I've personally gone super with over a thousand rings. I was running around that game spamming auto and not even bothering to dodge. I also remember a game where someone got recycled all seven emeralds, went super, and I removed his super with auto to the face within a second of him going super. He got absolutely nothing out of it.

This isn't a "get good" thing. This is a game design problem that makes the mechanic completely useless for unskilled players and completely overpowered for skilled players. The weaknesses inherent in the mechanic aren't enough to stop the most skilled players from keeping it as long as they want, but they are more than enough to make it useless for anyone else. Quite simply, it's bad design.

First I have aspergers: a type of autism were I say/type stuff in the wrong way so thanks for rubbing it. I meant to say "It take time to be good at matches" not "LOL GET REKT SON!!!111one" and rails are only good when trolling or sniping.
Okay, time-out. There is some stuff that you really need to know here:

A: You should not expect people to know about or compensate for your autism. Miscommunication happens - do your best to be clear, and to see how your statements might be interpreted incorrectly.

B: You are not being forced to interpret body language or any other non-verbal communication, nor do you have to respond to anyone in real time - you are perfectly capable of understanding other people and taking the time to communicate effectively.

C: Telling people "Lay off and/or feel bad because [unverifiable meat-space reason] never, ever works, and will usually do the opposite of what you intend. This is doubly true if it's used to claim that there was nothing you could have done. None of that changes one bit if the reason given is the truth, either.

D: If you have a disagreement, or need to make a correction to someone else's interpretation of your words, be polite about it, and give the benefit of the doubt. Getting worked up and angry at someone else for what is probably just a mistake is childish, and will do no favors to your image in anyone else's eyes. If the other person turns out to actually be an asshole, the heat will come down on them, not you, so long as you keep civil.

And don't get smug about keeping civil, either, since that's anything but.

E: At a conservative estimate, maybe about 1 in 10 people in this community are on the spectrum in some form or another: Including myself, since I've also been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, just like you. Autism simply does not excuse you from any standards of behavior on the board, nor does it mean you should expect any concessions from its users.

Whether it's an autism-spectrum condition, other mental disabilities, English as a second language, or even just being really young, the expectation here is that if something is hindering you from functioning as a good member of the community, the burden of that rests solely on your shoulders - it doesn't mean we have to make accommodations, it means you have to work harder to make up for the barriers you face. Many, many other people have done this, and you can do it too if you make a decent, genuine effort, and don't use your barriers as an excuse.

And at the end of the day, people around here respect when someone goes through that effort. It's not bothering to try, or claiming that you just couldn't have done better that gets the locals really pissed off.

Last edited:
E: At a conservative estimate, maybe about 1 in 10 people in this community are on the spectrum in some form or another

Sorry for the off-topic, but is it really that high? I've met a lot of people in my life, and only a small handful (that I know of) were somewhere on the autism spectrum. I don't see how that would work unless online communities attracted a disproportionately large number of people on the autism spectrum (which I suppose is possible, since communicating through text may be easier if understanding body language is difficult...)

It's a combination of a couple things. The two most obvious in our situation:

1. Online communities don't have body language and tone of voice to worry about, which makes communication a lot easier for people with social problems.
2. Sonic the Hedgehog's fanbase trends heavily in that direction.

In an awful attempt to divert back to topic, how can a gametype like Match or CTF become balanced enough for any type of player to play? The main problem with the mechanics are the characters themselves. While getting rid of gimmicks that make players stronger and adding gimmicks that make the losing player have hope, it still doesn't beat the two main problems: the netcode (which I hope has been in redevelopment), and the character abilities that crutch players that aren't Sonic. I know Match/CTF is one of the few things that actually make this game a good reason to come back to, but with issues stated in earlier posts, I don't know if these gametypes will receive any major improvements compared to SP/Co-op. Don't get me wrong, I like some of the changes, but I just feel it won't be complete yet.

The goal we're looking for isn't perfect balance; there's no way we can accomplish anything even close with such a small team. Our goal is to make match fun at many skill levels, so that the players who are losing still have a reason to keep playing because they're getting small victories and occasionally doing something. It's incredibly frustrating and demoralizing to lose a game without having done anything at all. We want the game to reward skilled play but also not be so punishing to unskilled play that the unskilled players aren't having any fun.

The thing is, how can this be handled? For all we know, there could be a loser handicap that increases the starting score of the losing players. Making the game type fun is a challenge, and honestly, I really can't wait to see what 2.2 brings to the table. But as far as what the forums know, the emeralds will be removed from match and CTF. I truly want to see if the devs can make Match "fun". (But then the netcode says hi and completely ruins the effort)

As I've stated probably hundreds of times before, we're not removing the emerald mechanic; we're changing the reward you get for obtaining all the emeralds to something else that's powerful, but not game-breaking, for players of all skill levels.

As I've stated probably hundreds of times before, we're not removing the emerald mechanic; we're changing the reward you get for obtaining all the emeralds to something else that's powerful, but not game-breaking, for players of all skill levels.
I don't suppose you're going to tell us what that is, are you? Because I'm curious.

As far as I'm aware, they haven't found a proper balance for match yet.

I don't suppose you're going to tell us what that is, are you? Because I'm curious.
We can't tell you because even we aren't entirely sure what we're going to change it to yet! As I write this, we're testing a possible new mechanic for emerald collection (and hell, ring firing too) that might work, but it'd be silly to say "we're going to do X" but then testing shows that X is a really awful and terrible idea and has to be reverted ASAP.

I'm probably off the mark of what Mystic & Co. are planning, but I think it would be cool if emerald spawns gave you points over time for holding them.

Not to ask for the impossible, but is there a chance the glitch where messages not appearing in chat when in a server could be fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back