• That custom game thing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

clairebun

Community Noise Maker
Sonic Team Junior
If any of you have gone to the my site recently (1% of the forum population), you'll notice that it's pretty dead. It has no particularly interesting content except for some of my awesome midis, and that isn't enough. So, I decided the best way to bring up the population by literally 1000% would possibly be to make a game. A good game, preferably, with or without online capabilities. I've already been in the middle of the making of a game, Sapphire Control (you can probably tell where that came from), in which you shoot stuff in a Cave Story-esk type of gameplay, only in space or something. I was also thinking of making addons as well that you could download from the site and "plug" into the game for some extra levels and stuff. However, looking at some of my other game ideas, I may want to do something else first. Here is a list of ideas I had:

Yoshi's Cookie Online - A recreation of the SNES version of Yoshi's Cookie's versus mode, supporting up to four players, and possibly a different gametype as well. Could be interesting, but what kind of addons would I make for it? Surely not levels, because there would be no such thing as level design in such puzzle games. Still, it'd certainly be easy to make....

Megaman: Takeover - An 8-bit CTF style game in which you control a robot master and his team of mechanical minions and try to capture the enemy robot master's team flag. Not very thought out, but assuming you would pick out which team member you would want to play as from time to time, I think it would be pretty compatible for both online mode and computer players.

Super Mario Party Bros. - This idea mirrors that of the Mario Party series in the sense that you role a die to travel across an adventure map, and play free-for-all, tag team, special, and duel minigames along the way. The way this game differs entirely from Mario Party is that this takes place in a Super Mario Bros. 3 setting. This means you will be fighting against hammer brothers, using the P-Wing before the start of a minigame to give you an advantage, dodging a military of Bullet Bills, and even competing each other in classic Mario Bros. arcade action. And best of all, none of the crappy luck-based minigames, or those where you repeatedly tap a button until your thumbs hurt! Supports 2-4 players, online or against computers (or both).

So, as you can see, SMPB is the more thought-out idea of the three... though it's a little hard to grasp the concept without some concept art. I'll try and make some for the above mentioned games, but otherwise, I would really appreciate some feedback on this. I'm not necessarily asking for help on making the game(s) at the moment, I just want to know what would be the best idea at this point in time.

EDIT: I swear, I thought I added SMPB as an option. <_<

well i would suggest a coustom game like my friend Zanyhead was doing but abbandoned i suggest making a very easy to get into game like a version of megaman games but dont make the main character megaman make it a lesser known character like axl

ZTA is not abandoned! It's just put on hold because of the simple fact that I am a non-linear thinker. (I can't stick to just one thing)

Try an FPS, everybody loves FPS games...

FPS Creator, yes, it is made by the same people that did the cruddy 3D Game Maker, but FPS Creator is much more customizable, a heck of a lot more advanced, and it has online play ^_^

Just, don't steal any of my gun ideas like the magnetic sticky pod that attracts metal once it attatches itself to something...

Megaman: Takeover, where it wouldn't have any turn based stuff, online play, and a few characters to boot. Like, not just Megaman, Zero, MMZ style Zero, perhaps axle, and any old school bosses you felt like adding.

Dammit, that's the last time I try to post on the forums with a Wii. Twice in the first week of playing it and it's already frozen twice while posting a large message here. :(

I've been kinda grounded from the computer, so I didn't really get too much of a chance to check on this thread, which explains the minor bump. But anyway, thanks for the input. Firstly, I'd like to mention that the major opinion on other forums is that I should go along with Sapphire Control or Super Mario Party Bros., with Megaman: Takeover being close behind. Nobody's really bothered to pay attention to Yoshi's Cookie much, except for one person, not that I didn't expect that. Still, I'm starting to think I'll work on that first just as a test run for getting a game to work online, so it'll likely be the first release out of any of the games. Sapphire Control's engine has already been undergoing progress, so I'll skip onto that next, and not too farther afterwards, SMPB will be worked on - the graphics would only need minor editting, but the style I plan the minigames to take on is a bit foggy at the moment. Megaman will probably be finished last out of the four.

cueball61 said:
Try an FPS, everybody loves FPS games...

FPS Creator, yes, it is made by the same people that did the cruddy 3D Game Maker, but FPS Creator is much more customizable, a heck of a lot more advanced, and it has online play ^_^
Rayman and the Raving Rabbids has given me a bit of inspiration, so I'll think about it.

BlueZero4 said:
Megaman: Takeover, where it wouldn't have any turn based stuff, online play, and a few characters to boot. Like, not just Megaman, Zero, MMZ style Zero, perhaps axle, and any old school bosses you felt like adding.
I'm trying to think of the best way not to make it an RPG; I want to be just as fast-paced as much as it would require strategy. The game's also supposed to base itself on the NES games, meaning the only characters it would feature are the robot masters and enemies from Megaman 1-6. I was actually debating whether to make Megaman an unlockable or just leave him out completely. =P

Again, thanks for leaving your comments, I appreciate it. I won't be working on these games alone, so I can guarantee you they won't suck. Much. >_>

Blue Warrior said:
BlueZero4 said:
I'm trying to think of the best way not to make it an RPG; I want to be just as fast-paced as much as it would require strategy. The game's also supposed to base itself on the NES games, meaning the only characters it would feature are the robot masters and enemies from Megaman 1-6. I was actually debating whether to make Megaman an unlockable or just leave him out completely. =P
Well, yeah, good point. About Megaman, if in at all, he should be used in much less quantities than the robot masters. Seeing as how there's only one of him and like (6 times 6 is) 36 or (8 times 6 is) 48 of the robot masters, he should appear way less often. If you felt like it, you could make 6 (or so) of him, one impersonating each videogame's special weapons and armor differences.

BlueZero4 said:
Blue Warrior said:
BlueZero4 said:
Well, yeah, good point. About Megaman, if in at all, he should be used in much less quantities than the robot masters. Seeing as how there's only one of him and like (6 times 6 is) 36 or (8 times 6 is) 48 of the robot masters,
Hm... Robot masters in all games [6 + (8 x 5) = 6 + 40] would be 46, and with the addition of the Wily / fake badguy fortresses (Dark Man, Dr. Wily, Protoman, and Dr. Cossack), I think it would be fifty, so I would probably have to sort the robot masters by element, meaning Blizzard Man, Ice Man, and other freeze robot masters would have their own team and Fire Man, Heat Man, Torch Man, etc. would have their fire group, and there would probably just be a fortress team for Dark Man, Dr. Wily, and such, and pretty much all the other guys would go through that pattern. But then, I'm also thinking of adding minor enemies like Metools and Sniper Joes, as well as bosses such as the Yellow Demon, Mecha Dragon, and maybe even that bulldozer thing from Megaman 7's intro level... wow, this is complex. o_O

... [Megaman] should appear way less often. If you felt like it, you could make 6 (or so) of him, one impersonating each videogame's special weapons and armor differences.
That's an idea. I could also just have him, Rush, Protoman, Roll, and whatever other buddies are normally on his side, and Mega/Proto would be pretty much stronger than everyone else, but the fact that there's fewer robots on their team would mean they'd have to run around constantly trying to reclaim their own flag.... That doesn't sound fun, now that I think about it. >_>

Wow, you've got a darn good headstart. Sorting sounds good, but having an equal number of men on each team would be ideal. Also, each team member should be able to bring something different to the table (or lack something, if that's just the way you roll).

BlueZero4 said:
Wow, you've got a darn good headstart.
Pah. Making the ideas is elementary for me. It's just executing them right that's hard.
Sorting sounds good, but having an equal number of men on each team would be ideal. Also, each team member should be able to bring something different to the table (or lack something, if that's just the way you roll).
Yeah, sounds like that would be best. I honestly don't know what categories Centaur Man, Quick Man, Flash Man, and a few others would go other, so that kind of poses a problem. And since robot masters have special abilities, I'll probably make it so that they add something rather than lack it - but who knows, I might do both.

I am making a game. It's probably not the best idea, but you might like it.

We're all playing in the year 2010. The apocalyspe has happened, and the last standing city, Crisis City, is the only safe haven to live. You'll have to travel through Crisis City, battle through hoards of monsters, etc. The game will sport RPG like stats and combine it with OoT-like gameplay, with Lock-on and stuff. We've rarely seen such beautiful gameplay in a while. We need it back.

My Forums for the game. Just thought I'd share it here since we're on the subject of making games.

As for Blue Warrior's, I think you should either do the Mario Party idea or the Mega Man CTF thing. Mario has a tendacy to suck horridly in those games. Make it not, plox.

A multi-player online based game where you can pick any character made from SEGA or ones that appeared on the Genesis like Vectorman, Sonic and friends, Toe Jam and Earl, something like that. Basically a game that contains a huge variety of net friendly games. I know this idea sounds lame but it is a start.

Then there is my other lame but somewhat cool idea. You could make the the Mega Man CTF game but the difference would be four different teams. I always liked that. Blue, red, yellow, and green. I still dream to this day to have dozens and dozens of players play CTF with four teams. And of course there should be an option before the game starts to enable what colored teams are going to be in the game and which team the users would join so it would make it fair and people won't be able to go into bases without any team members on it and be cheap by capturing their flag. It's basically CTF with a huge twist.

The basic idea that I am pointing out is that the ideas I came up with would most likely not happen, but just remember that you can use or turn bit and pieces of any random ideas people come up with (for example, my idea) to compile your final game idea.

arnold_the_bartender said:
A multi-player online based game where you can pick any character made from SEGA or ones that appeared on the Genesis like Vectorman, Sonic and friends, Toe Jam and Earl, something like that. Basically a game that contains a huge variety of net friendly games. I know this idea sounds lame but it is a start.
I actually had the idea of a Sonic fighting game almost entirely based off of the Genesis era in terms of controls, graphics, stages, and characters. Probably won't be done, but I'll see what I can do.

Then there is my other lame but somewhat cool idea. You could make the the Mega Man CTF game but the difference would be four different teams. I always liked that. Blue, red, yellow, and green. I still dream to this day to have dozens and dozens of players play CTF with four teams. And of course there should be an option before the game starts to enable what colored teams are going to be in the game and which team the users would join so it would make it fair and people won't be able to go into bases without any team members on it and be cheap by capturing their flag. It's basically CTF with a huge twist.
The CTF game I was plotting would be a platformer, so I'm not exactly sure how I would pull off four teams. One of them from the sky? Another right above a bottomless pit? Side-by-side wouldn't exactly work, because some bases would be closer than others, and in a three-way game, the middle team would get creamed by the other two. At least, if I were to make faulty AI anyway.

Jman said:
What are you going to use.
I've already explained in this post.

Alright! Now that I've got this to a fairly respectable demo, I think it's safe to say that Sapphire Control is the first game being put underhand. Only three tiny levels, but the engine itself is doing great so far.

Snap 1
Snap 2
Game

The game is only 15% complete. It'll expand a crapload later on in terms of... everything, but this is Sapphire Control in a nutshell for ya.

I'm taking graphics artists and Game Maker 6 programmers right now; if you're one of them, help out on the game! Not only do I need environments and sprites to work on, but I still need a cleaner layout for the engine anyway.

Anyway, ciao. I need to update the site with this, because it's begging for updates anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back