Create servers without port forwarding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terra

Is there a safer way to make servers and have other people join without port forwarding or is that impossible? I could host fine before.

It is strictly impossible, there is no way. "Port forwarding" means "open his computer, making it accessible to other players." Players come to play in your computer, but they need an opening.

Now, if you need help about forward your port, we can help you. Sometimes, it takes 5 minutes, sometimes, it is much harder.

Last edited:
It is strictly impossible, there is no way. "Port forwarding" means "open his computer, making it accessible to other players." Players come to play in your computer, but they need an opening.

Now, if you need help about forward your port, we can help you. Sometimes, it takes 5 minutes, sometimes, it is much harder.

Well my parents won't let me port forward because they say its dangerous.

There is a way, But it goes slower. First get logmein Hamchi from here http://logmein.com, then get your friends to join your network they will need it to, Host a server then tell them to join with your Hamchi ip, and you will be hosting. It will lag a little for them due to restricted speed limt.

There is a way, But it goes slower. First get logmein Hamchi from here http://logmein.com, then get your friends to join your network they will need it to, Host a server then tell them to join with your Hamchi ip, and you will be hosting. It will lag a little for them due to restricted speed limt.

So because that all your servers are unreachable.

On-topic, there isn't any possible way than to port forward. And I still think that joining is more fun than actually hosting, since you're waiting 10 minutes before somebody even joins.

On-topic, there isn't any possible way than to port forward. And I still think that joining is more fun than actually hosting, since you're waiting 10 minutes before somebody even joins.

Be the host has also benefits.
1) No Control Lags
2) You can choose which game mode, which level ... you can choose the level for your players, actually.
3) The joy to benefit to your players your server
4) You can customize it, for example putting wads like Tyrcity ... for example.

Returning to the subject, sonic fan2000 ... you can put a cross on your project. Unless if you manage to convince your parents, there is no strategy to host differently.

Last edited:
Be the host has also benefits.
1) No Control Lags
2) You can choose which game mode, which level ... you can choose the level for your players, actually.
3) The joy to benefit to your players your server
4) You can customize it, for example putting wads like Tyrcity ... for example.

Returning to the subject, sonic fan2000 ... you can put a cross on your project. Unless if you manage to convince your parents, there is no strategy to host differently.

Every one of those features can attain the administrator too. If the host is AFK and allows them to do anything, then there's no limitation except for host-only commands (ban etc).

I host and join games. So this is what i think.

(Hosting Game)

Its fun to host when there people able to join your server.

And yeah you can pick your own levels or add your own wads if you like to.

I can hold up to 8 players at one's in my server with out lag.

But then there the thing where they will ask you for wads and random stuff.

It can get tiring or funny.

But then you get no c lag now thats a big plus.

Then again you need to watch the server the hole time or else others will just spam it unless theres a admin.

(joining Games)

I do this as well. sometimes being the host can get a bit boring so i pick a server to join sometimes and play in it.

If you can't host a 15 to 20 player server you can then just join a fun big time server like winds or Nina's.

then you don't have to take care of players. All you need to do is listen to the Server rules.

But then again there is c lag. But it depends on the server. Most of the time join a server with a ping of 100 or less. but if you like you can try a 200 ping server and see if you can handle that c lag.

Anyway i do both and i enjoy both.

By the way joining a net games is more fun then hosting. Just saying.

Show this to your parents, please. :)

If you only forward the SRB2 port to your computer, forwarding your ports is secure.

There is a lot of computers which are directly connected to the internet, without having a router between them and the internet. These computers are not insecure if the firewall is working. The only thing that makes your router "secure" is the router's firewall, but you are not deactivating that firewall! You just open one single port that is needed for SRB2.

It would maybe be insecure if you would forward all ports. That would allow an virus on your computer to listen to one of the ports. But even if you are forwarding every port, it is secure if you do not have a virus or something like that.
A program on your computer has to listen to a specific port. SRB2 listens to its own UDP port, for example. If there is no listening program (be it a virus, a server, a remote access, a game, whatever), you are SAFE. And SRB2 is not a virus, so it is safe, too.

Do not worry about single port forwarding to a game that listens to it. Really. Even a "hacker" needs a trojan/virus/whatever listening on the computer he wants to "hack".

Last edited:
If the reason you now need to forward your port is due to a wireless router, then just plug the cable from your ISP box directly into your computer. Then put it back in the router when your done. Of course this will render the router useless while your hosting, so it's not a great solution.

If the reason you now need to forward your port is due to a wireless router, then just plug the cable from your ISP box directly into your computer. Then put it back in the router when your done. Of course this will render the router useless while your hosting, so it's not a great solution.

This only works if the computer is a laptop and/or close to the router. It will absolutely fail if this is not the case. Why do you think people buy wireless routers? =P

Also, even if this works, it is even more "insecure" than forwarding one port - because in this case all ports are "forwarded", not only the SRB2 port.

Last edited:
This only works if the computer is a laptop and/or close to the router. It will absolutely fail if this is not the case. Why do you think people buy wireless routers? =P

Also, even if this works, it is even more "insecure" than forwarding one port - because in this case all ports are "forwarded", not only the SRB2 port.

Most people. at least that I have seen, had a desktop computer before getting a router, and setup the router next to it when they get it. Since he was able to host before, i figured this was true for him as well.

As for the second part of your post.

In the old days of straight connection of a MODEM to a computer's serial port, the computer was directly behind the IP address, so if someone wanted to connect to say, 45.127.33.240 they are guaranteed to get ONE computer behind it.

Nowadays most MODEMs are built into wireless router/switches. This requires a technology called NAT to allow connections between ONE computer and the outside world. It doesn't allow some random computer to connect to it's IP address and get ONE computer behind it. Port forwarding sets which ONE computer will be seen if a computer tries to connect on that port.

Last edited:
I still don't get it, I didn't need to portal forward on the old SRB2 1.09.4, so why put portal forwarding now?

That's likely because you weren't using a router back in 1.X because you had a simpler internet setup. Nowadays it's a lot more common to have a router because people want multiple computers in the house to be able to connect to the internet at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back