Jasper for 2.1 - New whimsical abilities!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, I don't see the need for the recharging star meter. The biggest issue that a Sonic game should curb is forcing the player to stand still and wait for something to happen.

You can always move around when you land, and when you do land you're given an extra 'pity' star if you ran out. A good way to play Jasper is to hang onto stars and recharge while you make your way through an area that doesn't require shooting anything anyway, such as a normal hallway.

Lastly, and with some trepidation, I must talk about the character's appearance. I don't have a way of sugarcoating it, so I'll just come out and say that Jasper is not an appealing character design to me. He kind of looks like what you'd get if you mixed a typical Sonic fan character with Kirby-esque simplicity. It leaves him looking a bit like a slime creature with white accents.

i can assure you jasper isn't made out of slime

Jasper himself isn't very well defined design wise and I agree that the mix of simplicity and typical standards can make him look really... bleh at points. The sprites really show this bleh factor off, especially with the muzzle and the fin of the hat. The fin actually rotates with Jasper somewhat like Mickey Mouse ears so there's that. I'm not upset that someone didn't really enjoy with how Jasper looks and I'm kinda glad someone did speak up about it.

Lastly, and I apologize for ending on another criticism, but the pink star effect for the spin-dash is way too big. It's a neat effect, but it obscures too much of the action onscreen. If it was just a little smaller, and maybe a bit more transparent, so that Jasper can be seen from within it, it'd be perfect.

I had a big brain fart moment over the spindash trail. The spintrail itself spawns ghost objects and it became tedious to manage how thick the spintrail works with how long the object lasted for. I did experiment with a more transparent trail and I didn't stick with it as a last minute thing. I'll probably consider making it more like regular spintrails, being much more transparent.

I just played through the single player campaign as Jasper and I had a lot of fun, I really like how his abilities give him a huge amount of manueverability while also leaving him fairly vulnerable.

I feel that Jasper's acceleration is a big too fast though, it makes every level feel like an ice level.

Although a notable bug, while super Jasper in ERZ1, I used the spark burst under reverse gravity and SRB2 crashed.

That crash is rather upsetting and not something I found out before releasing it. I can only wonder what's causing it, seeing as the gravity change is implemented with a simple if else with the momentum being (obviously) inverted.

Also I've never found Jasper so slippery before. I can tune down his ground momentum but I'll probably make it so that whenever is in his Shooting Star pose he'll revert to his old momentum just to retain his midair control.

That crash is rather upsetting and not something I found out before releasing it. I can only wonder what's causing it, seeing as the gravity change is implemented with a simple if else with the momentum being (obviously) inverted.

The only thing i could really assume is the game thinks your always right side up and fails to realize your up side down when using said move, but thats just a theory. If it is true, then jaspers shooting star move should also cause a crash, but i highly doubt this because the move is more of a mini double jump thats much more competent in gaining distance than the normal double jump. So my only guess is that when one uses said spark burst move up side down, the game doesnt realize this, thus causes a conflict and boom, crash. This is only a theory though, but your safest bet jasper is to look into the coding of the spark burst, as it obviously wasnt built with being up side down in mind.

Although a notable bug, while super Jasper in ERZ1, I used the spark burst under reverse gravity and SRB2 crashed.
Jasper's current code is pretty much a clusterfuck, his script is getting a complete rewrite, which will hopefully be more stable and optimized.

Adventures in Shooting Star jumps

rjfjz4040dru6y7fg.jpg

Edit:

FURTHER ADVENTURES IN SHOOTING STAR JUMP INSANITY

HandyWanDeviltasmanian.gif

Jasper too stronk please nerf

Last edited:
jQGY274.png

... now why does it switch to the left side?

I only just started, so I can't really say too much about the character other than not to try hitting anything with the stars.

... now why does it switch to the left side?

...huh. I thought that didn't appear when in Nights. I checked that thoroughly even. Jasper, stop being broken.

Anyway, it flips to the other side due to not being a gametype that uses lives. If you're playing a gametype without lives such as many of the more multiplayer/competitive ones, the starcount will be switched to be in the position where lives are. This doesn't cover the emeralds in 640x400 res and allows the text for team-alignment to not be completely blocked.

I just played through AGZ and personally, I can't see how Jasper would be any more overpowered than say Tails or Knuckles...

Just making a note here, Jasper probably won't be updated with the fixes to these cropped up issues until his entire Lua code and SOCs are reworked. It's coming along surprisingly fast thanks of the almighty efforts of HellHawkX, and I don't want to update Jasper and then have to update him again with an entirely new and clean code. Just feels redundant to do so ;w;

X751H5r.gif

Last edited:
So I had a chat with Jasper a while before it's release, and this was made:

..oh, and the character - indeed it is very fun. As someone said earlier, one of the best character wads for SRB2.

Hold on... I thought the MD2 was done already... It looks good of course, but i thought only a couple of frames had to be finished before releases.

Hold on... I thought the MD2 was done already... It looks good of course, but i thought only a couple of frames had to be finished before releases.

Becides some minor parts, this is a completely new model. Different meshes, different texture (though some parts remained the same) and different...stuff. which means it requires new frames. Also, I've never made frames for the first model, I was simply waiting for 2.1 jasper.

It looks like you tried your hardest to make it as authentic to the sprites as possible, and while you got it down, it looks as if the sprites don't look too well with an extra dimension added on. It somewhat reminds me of other games that tried to take a 2D image and convert it to a 3D model, like Futurama: The Video Game. It's not your fault, it's just the sprites weren't designed with the intention of being truly 3D. If it's any help, I'd like to try my hand at making textures and facial features for him and also help getting the size of everything right. epic collab go

Last edited:
Tried? Yes, my hardest, not really. I did however try to make it somewhat resemble the sprites, as a small comparison here shows:

This actually shows a funny thing, as you have stated, these sprites are impossible in a 3d world, but look at Jasper's muzzle hair...thingy; in the first frame it shows his muzzle fur thing point outwards, yet in frame 3 it points sideways. Also a couple stuff with Le hat and stuff, but still, I just find it fun and challenging to try to recreate it. At least I got the ears down somewhat :o

As for your proposition, sure thing. Expressions on 3d models are easy to make though, especially since I made this model very...flexible:

I'll send you a copy of the textures through pm.

Last edited:
Cool wad! I haven't been playing SRB2 that much, so I only did a little bit of messing around with Jasper, but I like the way he plays. I agree with what some other people have said in that his ground acceleration feels a bit fast, but he controls great in the air.

See, the problem is, with both of your Jasper MD2 models you are only missing the things that make Jasper look less like a generic tails look-a-like. His muzzle is much wider and spreads out. You should work on the MD2 more because it only just barely resembles Jasper. Of course, I can't really make any custom models that don't suck, but your Japser model still needs a lot of work. Even the eyes look a little strange there. You're also missing his mouth. Not to mention you should slightly scale down his muzzle vertically.

See, the problem is, with both of your Jasper MD2 models you are only missing the things that make Jasper look less like a generic tails look-a-like. His muzzle is much wider and spreads out. You should work on the MD2 more because it only just barely resembles Jasper. Of course, I can't really make any custom models that don't suck, but your Japser model still needs a lot of work. Even the eyes look a little strange there. You're also missing his mouth. Not to mention you should slightly scale down his muzzle vertically.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" - Doc brown
Or 3rd dimensionally I should say. When making the muzzle spread out to fit the first sprite, it messes up the other angles and makes it look worse than it is. I am good at recreating things in a 3d form through observing 2d things, like this for example, which you already know about:

It is a matter of impossible spriting (which I have nothing against, Jasper looks good) which uses angles and stuff which are impossible in the 3d world.

Also, turns out Jasper likes teabagging people:

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" - Doc brown
Or 3rd dimensionally I should say. When making the muzzle spread out to fit the first sprite, it messes up the other angles and makes it look worse than it is. I am good at recreating things in a 3d form through observing 2d things, like this for example, which you already know about:

It is a matter of impossible spriting (which I have nothing against, Jasper looks good) which uses angles and stuff which are impossible in the 3d world.

Also, turns out Jasper likes teabagging people:

I think it's possible to recreate a muzzle like that, so that it would look like this from the top view: /O\ but I'm not sure if that would look too different on the back frames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back