SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Editing > Editing Help

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
Yoshirocks90
The Cold-Loving Hedgehog

Default Software Lighting Problem

How do i fix this? (Water texture and water sector lighting) The sector for the water has the same brightness as the sector it's in. This only happens in software. OpenGL works just fine.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
Kuja

Check to make sure the water's controlling sector is the same or lower brightness than the sector inside the actual level. The water will maintain 255 brightness if the control sector is also 255.

Is the overhanging shadow also an FOF? that might also mess with the light levels.
Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
Yoshirocks90
The Cold-Loving Hedgehog

Both sectors have the same brightness. The water fof is the only fof in that sector as well.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
Kuja

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem. That appears to be a "water floor" in the screenshot. Just lower the bottom of the water FOF below the in-sector level to get rid of that visual quirk.
Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
TehRealSalt
Ya Grrl Sal Here (σᴥσ)
Developer

I can't really tell what the problem is from the screenshot and the explanation, since it looks like nothing is wrong? You might be talking about how the flats of any transparent FOF is made fullbright by default (very noticeable here in Geyser Gush, with the netting being unaffected by the darkness).

There's a really, really silly workaround about applying a colormap to both the water sector and the in-level sector that has an extra setting as the front middle texture (I usually use #10033, more information here: https://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Linedef_type_606). If you're confused about this explanation, don't worry, even when I try doing it I can only get it to work about half of the time. Having an additional option to turn this off has been my #1 feature request for a long time and it bothers me more than it should whenever I try doing anything with water @_@
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
Yoshirocks90
The Cold-Loving Hedgehog

I got it; I just darkened the fof a bit. What about the odd purple in the water texture, though? Is there a workaround for that, or do I just have to deal with it?

Last edited by Yoshirocks90; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:50 AM. Reason: Forgot a word
Yoshirocks90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
RedEnchilada
happy, pretty, lovely!
Developer

That's a result of how the transparency maps are written. You could see if other transparency levels on the water FOF look better in your map (set the linedef's upper texture to # followed by a number, from #000 to #255 - the default is #128), or if a different water flat looks better. There are a lot of things you can try, or you can just accept the blend color.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8
Yoshirocks90
The Cold-Loving Hedgehog

Alright, thanks.