SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Editing

Old 04-09-2017   #1
frozenLake

Default frozenLake's Pit of SRB2 Experiments

Hey, I figured I'd make a thread to post the stuff I've been posting on the Discord Server, and believe me, I have a /lot/ of it.

https://gfycat.com/DeterminedRepulsiveCoypu
https://gfycat.com/HairyFaroffDarklingbeetle

First off, we have my experiments in making oddly set up colormap effects, that can't be recreated with the existing way colormap line effects are currently set up: we would need some sort of way to specify a lump to be used instead of defining the hex codes. However, this would not be able to be used in opengl.

However, something like this would be, where the palette would be changed based on if the camera is inside of a colormaped sector. However, experiments regarding this thus far have failed, resulting in a custom palette with a specific flash map to display when the player is within the sector, and not the camera. I have no idea how to go about fixing this. GIF recordings of this fail, as their palette cannot be changed in the middle of an operation, so I cannot show off this bug without releasing the testwad in question, which is kinda a no-no. (course if you want you could totally pester me for said wad on the discord)

If I end up doing any more bizarre shit, I'll see about posting it here as well. But for now, feel free to comment on my screwing around with palettes and colormaps.
frozenLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017   #2
Prime 2.0
Actually a decent lazy bum

You can totally attach the test wad. Tech experiments, beta work, wads posted for troubleshooting purposes and such are fine for the editing forum.
Science tells us that nothing can be proven, only rendered more likely to be true. If we do not question what we already know, how can we know, much less admit, when we're wrong? Such things are vital to progress.
Prime 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017   #3
frozenLake

Well, if you say its okay...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/53cu8pk59r...ptest.wad?dl=0

EDIT: Found another colormap on my computer that I had made, but for some reason, managed to forget about. https://gfycat.com/EarnestNaiveGermanshepherd

Last edited by frozenLake; 04-12-2017 at 02:01 AM.
Old 04-18-2017   #4
frozenLake

Double post, but it comes with a semi-substantial update, so...

Anyway, I've been screwing around with the SRB2 Palette, coming up with various things. This here, is a skincolor I made that I personally feel should replace tan or something. If only SRB2 let us make custom skincolors with something like Lua...

This is ideally meant for a potential addition to second color, considering how it lines up with Sonic's skin tone almost perfectly (an orange shade that was sticking out like a sore thumb was swapped with another tan shade) so who knows, maybe I might go off the deep end and make Recolor Simulator 2018.
Old 04-27-2017   #5
frozenLake

Figured I'd post this:

Its a collection of a bunch of custom skincolors. While the first was made by Dirk for his character, the rest are made by me.

The Faded Yellow Square in the top corner of a color means that that color does not exist on the 2.2 palette. This is only the case for two of those colors, but its still something to note.
Old 04-27-2017   #6
Potatosack
funyn menme

Intriuging.

I always thought that putting SRB2Unreduced(TM) pink and rosewood together would make a nice skincolor.
Potatosack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017   #7
Ritz
cornstar

A bit late, but the idea of using flashpals to swap palettes midgame is a brilliant one. You didn't really articulate the problem here- can anyone else weigh on how feasible that is or isn't? Can we not use lua to just trigger a permanent Armageddon shield flash or something?
Old 04-28-2017   #8
LunarDestroyer

I'm not an expert or anything, and I haven't done extensive testing on it, but in my experience it's actually fairly easy to do. All you need to do is set the player's player.flashpal to whatever palette you want to use, then set player.flashcount to a number that's greater than 0. Preferably you'd set it every frame while a condition is active, then just set it to 0 when you're done.

The only possible problems I've encountered doing it that way is that the palette changes back for the results screen and whenever the game is paused (either through hitting the pause button or the menu button in single player), and that it interferes with the armageddon shield blast (for obvious reasons).

What he seems to be saying is that while he wants the palette to change inside of a specific sector, the change only occurs whenever the player is inside said sector, rather than the camera, as would make sense. There is the camera_t struct, which seems to contain all the variables you'd need to make the desired effect happen, but I have no clue how it's meant to be referenced.
LunarDestroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017   #9
TehRealSalt
Ya Gal Sal Here (σᴥσ)
Developer

Bubble Tides already uses a custom underwater palette through exploiting P_FlashPal.

Basically stores each player's camera from a HUD hook in another variable, checks if it's inside a water FOF, and tints the screen if it is.
Old 04-28-2017   #10
toaster
トースタちゃん
Developer

Flashpals affect HUD elements and changes in them during recording won't be visible in GIFs. That's pretty much it.
<MonsterIestyn> watch porm to keep warm
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017   #11
frozenLake

Actually, I figured I'd do some reading on that: If SRB2 were to use the local color table in the GIF format, it would be able to display flashpals when recording GIFs.

Of course, that would involve editing the code for SRB2's GIF support, so its probably not happening any time soon. (probably would happen around the same time we get varying delay times based on the FPS of the recording player)
Old 04-28-2017   #12
toaster
トースタちゃん
Developer

SRB2 already uses the local color table when creating the header for GIF files. The issue is that GIFs are limited to 256 different colours, which of course is only room for one standard palette.

Varying delay times is probably a little more feasible.
<MonsterIestyn> watch porm to keep warm
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017   #13
frozenLake

Toaster, that is the global color table: The local color table lets you switch the palette for each frame.
Old 04-28-2017   #14
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Wouldn't that make a GIF larger in filesize, storing the palette used for every frame?

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record.
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017   #15
AlamGBC
WOO! GO ME! YAHOO!
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Iestyn View Post
Wouldn't that make a GIF larger in filesize, storing the palette used for every frame?
No, only when you changing the palette

Sent from my A0001 using ********

3DS FC: 0473-7778-0919
AlamGBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017   #16
frozenLake

To clarify on that, it would have to store the palette every time it varies from the global palette. (so semi-constantly if my water method was used) However, such a change would still be minimal in how much it affects file size.

Edit: threw an image together, I have no way of checking if it used the local palette or not, but this gives an idealized version of how it /should/ work.

Last edited by frozenLake; 04-28-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-29-2017   #17
Larztard
Yeah...

That's cool. It really reminds me of the Classic Sonic games and the Advance series how the HUD changes colors even when the player is submerged in water. I really appreciate the small stuff like that.
Old 04-29-2017   #18
犬夜叉
aka: Inuyasha
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomekop View Post
(probably would happen around the same time we get varying delay times based on the FPS of the recording player)
Adding variable frame delays would break gfycat, and I'm not too terribly interested on breaking a service I'd wager the majority of people here use to share their movies.

Just a thought.
犬夜叉 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017   #19
frozenLake

Ah, like how imgur's gifv support broke for the gif I just posted? (at least on my side)
Old 05-11-2017   #20
frozenLake

Okay, have something new.

When joking around in regards to adding more and more sprite rotations, I mentioned something about adding voxel support... and mentioned that it might be easy to fake.

A few minutes later, I got this result.

If you want to look at the method I used, you can get the wad here.