SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > SRB2.org > News

Old 08-14-2013   #21
Shadow Hog
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A hedgie View Post
Just how nerfed is Tails' flight? I understand the things such as spin- and strafe-flight were removed, but will this make flying across distances horribly tedious? Also, have any other things been changed such as strafe-spinning?
I'm not really familiar with any of these advanced flying techniques you're spouting off, but as far as I'd noticed, Tails flight wasn't nerfed at all.

Quote:
Are any of the new things (tall patches, skyboxes, etc.) OpenGL-compatible? (Reason I ask is because I get bad framerate in Software, but in OpenGL I don't have this issue)
I'm pretty sure tall patches, at least, work in OpenGL.

Quote:
The wiki states that skidding uses standing frames. If so, is there any way to make them use custom frames if your character has them?
Then the wiki needs to be updated, because IIRC it actually uses the first walking frame.

As for your actual question, no clue.
Shadow Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #22
the cyan
Unlike Sonic I don't...

Cloud Palace and Nimbus Ruins will use the new AGZ sky?
the cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #23
Rob
Administrator

To answer the question about skid frames/custom skid frames, no there is no way for this to happen (Except maybe SOC or Lua, but I'm really not sure on those). We intentionally did not add skid frames because they would look awkward if done while backpedaling.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #24
Iceman404
Tyler52 Forever

You could do it like the classic games and have skidding only happen when you press back at a sufficient speed instead. The way its been explained all these months, do you skid in even the tiniest and unnecessary situations?
Old 08-14-2013   #25
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Skidding occurs basically any time you press directly against your current momentum while on the ground with sufficient speed. The reason having skidding frames would be a problem is because this doesn't mean necessarily that you're moving forward when you skid; if you strafe right and then strafe left suddenly, you'll skid. Hence, putting in special skidding frames would be problematic because the direction the player is facing would be lost if they were put in, and that's important information in match/ctf.

Quote:
Just how nerfed is Tails' flight? I understand the things such as spin- and strafe-flight were removed, but will this make flying across distances horribly tedious? Also, have any other things been changed such as strafe-spinning?
If you weren't using weird tricks, you'll actually find Tails's flight MORE responsive in 2.1 because various movement bugs involved have been fixed. You just can't trick the game into letting you fly faster than you should anymore.

Last edited by Mystic; 08-14-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #26
speed2411
*Speed-Roid*

You guys remade THZ2 from scratch? Keep up the good work guys. I cannot wait to learn how to use sky boxes. Also, does 2.1 now support bots? Will we be able to add them as we please? Also, is that a slope in the bottom right corner? :D

Spoiler:
Clearly, I controlled your mind to make you open this spoiler box. You cant resist my power!! I shall control your mind. ^_^

Last edited by speed2411; 08-14-2013 at 04:47 PM.
speed2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #27
Shadow Hog
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
If you weren't using weird tricks, you'll actually find Tails's flight MORE responsive in 2.1 because various movement bugs involved have been fixed. You just can't trick the game into letting you fly faster than you should anymore.
Ah, good, I can be a little more open with this. Yeah, I took the old movement code and redid a bit of it.

You know how you would be totally incapable of strafing if you started flying forward full-speed, and would have to slow down to change directions? That's because the code that added to your velocity would refuse to do so if it'd put you over your maximum. Moving to the side in addition to forward would put you over the maximum (a well-known fact that's abused in speedruns of several games, such as Goldeneye; unless the game explicitly catches it, moving diagonal is always faster than only moving forward or sideways), so you couldn't do it. I know Prime 2.0, in particular, has been vocal about this issue.

So now, the game instead just applies all such impulses first (damn the consequences!), then compares your new resulting speed to your old one, and if it both increased and is over your maximum velocity (along with a few other scenarios I've forgotten about), will normalize it to the maximum velocity in the new direction. Somehow, all this logic didn't break speeding up on conveyor belts; not entirely sure why, but if it isn't broken, I don't intend to "fix" it.

Coding that was kind of fun. There was briefly a build that ignored that maximum entirely, so you could infinitely accelerate in any given direction. Quite amusing.

tl;dr: you can strafe when flying full speed forward, now. (As well as jumping at full speed with Sonic, and such.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed2411 View Post
You guys remade THZ2 from scratch? Keep up the good work guys. I cannot wait to learn how to use sky boxes. Also, does 2.1 now support bots? Will we be able to add them as we please? Also, is that a slope in the bottom right corner? :D

Yes, you got us. SRB2 now supports slopes. Good job.

Spoiler:
Of course it's not a slope.
Old 08-14-2013   #28
speed2411
*Speed-Roid*

You guys are the best of the entire world. Srb2 with slopes. I will bow down to you guys forever. :D Cannot wait guys!

Spoiler:
Clearly, I controlled your mind to make you open this spoiler box. You cant resist my power!! I shall control your mind. ^_^
Old 08-14-2013   #29
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

slow down speed, those are stairs.
glaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #30
Steelie
hakuna matata..?

Hold on even more, it seems more like a tilted pathway with slime making the illusion it goes up.

My suckish channel for SRB2 (and cats).
Steelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #31
LightspeedX
aka PrismaticAngel

Actually, I think it's just a place where the outside area where Tails is in meets the inside area which has a darker lighting to show that it's inside.
<toaster> i love you lightspeed
LightspeedX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #32
Unknownlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Hog View Post
tl;dr: you can strafe when flying full speed forward, now. (As well as jumping at full speed with Sonic, and such.)
This.

Thank you for this. Thank you.
Unknownlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #33
speed2411
*Speed-Roid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaber View Post
slow down speed, those are stairs.
Look. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Hog View Post

Yes, you got us. SRB2 now supports slopes. Good job.

Spoiler:
Of course it's not a slope.
Unless this is a cruel, cruel joke. Srb2 might have slopes in the next version. Also, the angle it is in would make it impossible for it to be stairs. Remember that fake slope in GFZ2? Only from behind does it look like a slope. No other angle. That picture shows it at a side angle. Would you not see the stairs at that angle? Look at it. I can not tell you for sure but it looks like slopes to me.

Edit: That spoiler box is evil...

Spoiler:
Old 08-14-2013   #34
ThunderNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed2411 View Post
*snip*
Just to be clear, that's simply a shadow, and you can tell from the opposite ramp not being slanted that it isn't a slope.
ThunderNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #35
Shadow Hog
Administrator

Okay, I should've been less sarcastic and more straightforward with that. My fault. So let me nip this in the bud now.

It is not a slope. We have not added slopes. Stop dragging this out.
Old 08-14-2013   #36
Jorklenis2
Owner of EminenceGaming

I like all the work and more on the "THZ2" but I want to explain this scribble here,I know it's a test, I can put pictures of large textures without having to do it in parts.

2.1 supports tallpatches, which allow extremely large graphics to be inserted into the game without issue, as demonstrated in this test WAD of an extremely large, single-patch texture built out of various images of the Yakumo family. The things in the foreground are also using sprites beyond the old size limitations.

Last edited by Jorklenis2; 08-14-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Jorklenis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #37
Bbop800
hey

Holy cow, this is looking great. Probably the only thing that bothers me though is the choice of skybox for AGZ. The sky itself looks good, but the ground below just seems to contrast too much with how AGZ itself looks.

But of course this is just me nitpicking, 2.1 is looking fantastic so far.

Add me on Steam!
Bbop800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #38
Icee
The one and only...

Looking good. Loving the new outdoor section of THZ2. And finally, Sonic & Tails as a legit single player selection!
Icee, that's me. The one and only...
Icee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013   #39
Jayoshi
Younger than SRB2

Large textures? Man, I am DEFINITELY going to love seeing that used. It'd be great for making decorations to things like caves or factories.

THZ2's outdoor section also looks pretty good. However, I'd personally rather the skybox buildings be dark grey or something like that; I never thought the red buildings from Sonic 2 were quite fitting. There are also a few grey parts on the buildings anyway, if they haven't been fixed yet.

Speaking of THZ, is THZ1 going to get a longer factory section in the next version? Seeing all the updates to THZ2 makes me wonder about that.
Old 08-16-2013   #40
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayoshi View Post
THZ2's outdoor section also looks pretty good. However, I'd personally rather the skybox buildings be dark grey or something like that; I never thought the red buildings from Sonic 2 were quite fitting. There are also a few grey parts on the buildings anyway, if they haven't been fixed yet.
The skybox buildings used to be gray actually, but combined with all the existing gray in the level itself, it looked quite monotonous, which I assume is why it was changed.
MascaraSnake is offline   Reply With Quote