• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

[WIP]Zhire El.wad

Status
Not open for further replies.
fix his shoes asap pls :V

Inconsistencies everywhere.

Okay, I will do.

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

TWF1mcI.png

I don't like how he is shaded.

I didn't say anything about the shading because I had thought these sprites were still in development. I would highly recommend that you do the shading first before posting more sprites but that's just me.

b6t0miC.png

I've been under the covers for way too long, I've not updated this thread in a while because I didn't want to post WIPs of shading and AA, I already have it down, took less than 2 months but w/o.

yx5WYHf.png

Also gave Zhire a new haircut until I can master that one lock of hair he used to have before.
I wont really update constantly, only when I have the time.

Any thoughts?

To be honest, I'm just not sure what to think of it. It does has a somewhat different structure, though I can't help but see it as rather weird.

That front sprite... it looks horribly stiff, not to mention I can't imagine where the shoulders are supposed to connect in there. They look like they are coming out of his white fluff, which is utter nonsense. The body itself also seems to have the shape of an "A", it just feels far too uneven, and just makes the pose further awkward.

What also doesn't really helps is those things in his arms. They just feel unnecessarily big. It's alright to have an accessory for your character, but that is too big to be even considered an accessory. Is there even a point for them or did you think that would make him unique somehow? Because I can certainly say it doesn't really looks good.

In short, I don't feel like this design is that much of nicely composed. It is an improvement compared to what you had before, but it still could be further improved.

To be honest, I'm just not sure what to think of it. It does has a somewhat different structure, though I can't help but see it as rather weird.

That front sprite... it looks horribly stiff, not to mention I can't imagine where the shoulders are supposed to connect in there. They look like they are coming out of his white fluff, which is utter nonsense.

I can easily change this, nothing to worry about, a simple drag and paste should do the trick.

The body itself also seems to have the shape of an "A", it just feels far too uneven, and just makes the pose further awkward.

His body is not shaped that way, it's the pose, if he were to stand up straight like any other character wad, it would be "normal" looking, Zhire is leaning back slightly like this

What also doesn't really helps is those things in his arms. They just feel unnecessarily big. It's alright to have an accessory for your character, but that is too big to be even considered an accessory. Is there even a point for them or did you think that would make him unique somehow? Because I can certainly say it doesn't really looks good.

Zhire has had those gauntlets ever since his creation, It's not a accessory either, it's part of his gear, I'll get into that later when I have enough to done to show everyone what I've been working on. You may not think it looks good, but there's a reason why I've kept it for all these years. But if it looks "weird", I'll look into it, and make it look more "natural" with him. I see that I may have contorted the back-diagonal a bit too much, I've fixed it already and it looks fine.

In short, I don't feel like this design is that much of nicely composed. It is an improvement compared to what you had before, but it still could be further improved.

I thought I kinda made it clear that I want to move away from the short stubby sort of character wads SRB2 has, and bring in a more 'modern' feel to my character, I don't like the static pose with mashed up fist and looking straight ahead, it doesn't give the characters emotion or any sort of personality.

And yes, I am improving it more, thanks for your comment.

It's a great start, but from myself dissecting it, it has a very strange base. As in, it seems to just have been thrown together.

It will look a lot more refined if you sketch out a clear base. Even when working with unrealistic characters and proportions. For example, the head is mainly a circle shape, so draw a circle and treat it as the skull, and add everything to the head as if they were realistically attached to the skull.

For example, here is a (very old) Sonic head I did:

old.png

I threw this together without thinking about how his skull works. While I kind of like the personality to it, it isn't very believable. The skull looks like silly putty, and the quills are molded from it, making it look dumb.

This (less old but still pretty old) is a redo of the same head, but with a circle used for a skull before adding anything onto it.

lessold.png

It looks at least a little better because it has a clearer base and better line-art as a result.

(My work are probably not the best examples, but I think they get the point across.)

EDIT: The perspective also (IMO) looks a bit off. It's not necessarily think that that's your fault, though; I blame SRB2's default Sonic for having strange perspective as well. I'm working on some tutorial on how to accurately depict perspective as best as possible in SRB2's constantly changing perspective, but I'm still working on that.

Last edited:
b6t0miC.png

I've been under the covers for way too long, I've not updated this thread in a while because I didn't want to post WIPs of shading and AA, I already have it down, took less than 2 months but w/o.

yx5WYHf.png

Also gave Zhire a new haircut until I can master that one lock of hair he used to have before.
I wont really update constantly, only when I have the time.

Any thoughts?
Looks nice to far, I'm sure that there will be a comment about the "anti aliasing", but almost none of the old wads used it and the only thing in the game that uses it are the player sprites, so it's not a big deal.
The head shading looks done, the white fur part could need a outline and the body needs a bit more shading, still looks a bit unshaded.

Can you tell me where you got the "sonicunleashed" wad that you are using as a base for this ? There might be a little problem with that.

Also, don't use highresscale, it only looks strange in game so it's better to base your sprite to fit in the srb2 size than scaling it down.

I'm sure that there will be a comment about the "anti aliasing", but almost none of the old wads used it and the only thing in the game that uses it are the player sprites, so it's not a big deal.

How much more wildly incorrect can someone get? I actually see it as a flaw that a lot of the sprites don't have anti aliasing. I know you have something against anti aliasing for whatever reason, but whatever that's your problem. However, don't go around and force that opinion on others and try to dumb down their sprites just because you think that anti aliasing is not important.

And so what? What if the old sprites don't use anti aliasing? The Egg Moblie uses pillow shading in some places; does that make it okay to use? No, it doesn't.

That is actually something I forgot to mention; anti aliasing. Your shading has no anti aliasing, and it makes the shading look not smooth, and makes it look blocky.

aliasingvsanti.png

(sprites are motorroach's please dont kill me)

Compare the two examples. The left is the original. The right has all of the anti aliasing removed. See the difference?

Or maybe this:

aliasingvsanti2.png

(this elegant piece is from pixel artist "Panda", i take no credit)

This pixel art (no, it's not made using some sort of anti aliasing tool; the colors aren't straight ramps so it couldn't have been) has the anti aliasing is so well controlled and just makes the entirety of the piece. Now, what happens if you get rid of the anti aliasing?

aliasingvsanti3.png

GAH!

Because the shading and the anti aliasing shared colors, you even lose some of the shading too! This looks really bad, and it demonstrates exactly why you should always have anti aliasing in your sprites!

Here's an anti aliasing tutorial: http://opengameart.org/content/chapter-6-anti-aliasing

EDIT: Another picture showing why you should have anti aliasing.

TUTO_chap6_cercle.png

Last edited:
How much more wildly incorrect can someone get? I actually see it as a flaw that a lot of the sprites don't have anti aliasing. I know you have something against anti aliasing for whatever reason, but whatever that's your problem. However, don't go around and force that opinion on others and try to dumb down their sprites just because you think that anti aliasing is not important.

And so what? What if the old sprites don't use anti aliasing? The Egg Moblie uses pillow shading in some places; does that make it okay to use? No, it doesn't.
If it wouldn't be for the hand drawn player sprites and motorroach's knuckles, there wouldn't be any antialiasing in srb2. I'm not saying it's bad or anything like that but it isn't needed or a sprite standard for srb2, it's only a lot of extra work which gives your sprite a nice smooth shading.
That is actually something I forgot to mention; anti aliasing. Your shading has no anti aliasing, and it makes the shading look not smooth, and makes it look blocky.

aliasingvsanti.png

(sprites are motorroach's please dont kill me)

Compare the two examples. The left is the original. The right has all of the anti aliasing removed. See the difference?
You compare a sprite with unfinished shading to a complete antialiasing one ?
J0YqVgK.png

Look at this, looks way better, doesn't it ?

Also, don't use highresscale, it only looks strange in game so it's better to base your sprite to fit in the srb2 size than scaling it down.
Actually, it looks perfect in the higher resolutions.

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 AM ----------

If it wouldn't be for the hand drawn player sprites and motorroach's knuckles, there wouldn't be any antialiasing in srb2. I'm not saying it's bad or anything like that but it isn't needed or a sprite standard for srb2, it's only a lot of extra work which gives your sprite a nice smooth shading.

You compare a sprite with unfinished shading to a complete antialiasing one ?
J0YqVgK.png

Look at this, looks way better, doesn't it ?
Left one still looks better.
... Besides, all non-noob spriters here use anti-alaising.
Even I use it. It just looks right :P

Actually, it looks perfect in the higher resolutions.

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 AM ----------

Left one still looks better.
... Besides, all non-noob spriters here use anti-alaising.
Even I use it. It just looks right :P
It's still a pixel difference, which might look odd, like the GHZ trees.

Never said that it would look better than the antialiased, but it doesn't look too bad and shows that non antialiased sprites aren't bad.

Anti aliasing helps the sprite to look smoother and more well defined, specially in SRB2. Chances are that your sprite will just look bland without any anti aliasing, specially if it has outlines to it.

There's nothing odd about it, r543, why are you so defensive about it being otherwise? Spriting is supposed to take effort, and anti aliasing is nothing more than one of the efforts applied to it.

Even without anti ailising, which should be used on any sprite larger than 16x16 I don't give a fuck what anyone says, your character's lineart is incredibly blocky and wonky. The shading is all over the place and I can see a lot of parts that have banding around the outline, which you should NEVER EVER do.

But it looks alright.

Last edited:
Anti aliasing helps the sprite to look smoother and more well defined, specially in SRB2. Chances are that your sprite will just look bland without any anti aliasing, specially if it has outlines to it.

There's nothing odd about it, r543, why are you so defensive about it being otherwise? Spriting is supposed to take effort, and anti aliasing is nothing more than one of the efforts applied to it.
I'm not saying that it's bad(I was talking more to Sonic100000, non antialiased sprites aren't as bad as he thinks/shows and are more a nice to have than a srb2 spriting standard), of course it adds more details and a nice effect, but it's a lot of extra work(srb2 already needs a lot of frames) and adding that for the first character wad might be too much. He already did some sprites and it's bad to have to start all over again many times.

But it's a lot of extra work(srb2 already needs a lot of frames) and adding that for the first character wad might be too much. He already did some sprites and it's bad to have to start all over again many times.

But aren't good first impressions well...good?

But aren't good first impressions well...good?
Yes, good first impressions are good... But remember, first impressions have to be made to be good, and too much work (for example anti-aliasing on a first character Wad) can cause one to give up long before finishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back