Recording SRB2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HitCoder

Launcher Blaster
UPDATE: try OBS if you have this problem now: www.obsproject.com

Hey, I was just wondering, what screen recorder would you guys recommend for SRB2? I tried using fraps, it lags my computer, when I use DXTory it stops recording when I go into a different level, when I use hypercam 2, it makes the quality extremely bad and makes the playback speed like 5 times default speed, and when I use hypercam 3 it has the worst quality ever. I have even tried using blueberry flashback, but that makes it lag when a sound plays.

Please, could someone tell me a good recording software for SRB2 that works as close to perfect as possible? Please do not recommend one I have listed above, and it'd be better if I don't have to render the video afterwards, but that's probably the part that makes it twice as difficult.

P.S. I'm not sure this is the right forum area to post on, as I very rarely post.

Last edited:
Brutally honest, Fraps is your best bet. Yes, it lags your PC, it lags EVERYONE'S PCs. Fraps is quite crummy, but sadly, the only choice you really have for quality control. This is from someone who's been a Youtube user for 6 years, and recently got a partnership, Fraps is the low-end of quality recorders, but for SRB2, the cheapest choice. Unless you want to get into external hardware from a company like AverMedia, you're stuck.

Last edited:
Brutally honest, Fraps is your best bet. Yes, it lags your PC, it lags EVERYONE'S PCs. Fraps is quite crummy, but sadly, the only choice you really have for quality control.

UltimaXtreme is right. Fraps may not be the best, it's pretty reliable. I never get lag when I am using Fraps which is weird since I use the worst laptop in the world. What I do when I record I set the FPS to 50 and click on Half-size. That seems to work for me. There is nothing you can do about the extreme file size though which is due because Fraps can't compress the video.

I no longer have fraps so can't do so. I do not want fraps any more either.

You know, it doesn't hurt to try Fraps again, even if it does lag your computer. If you do not want to try Fraps AT ALL you can try Camtasia. I have never used it before but I heard from alot of people that it's pretty good.

Also, you can at leat appreciate the help and answers that people are providing for you instead of acting like a jerk about it just because you hate Fraps.

Last edited:
Another option could be Camtasia Studio. It's a little more pricey than Fraps ($50 compared to $40). I have both programs and they seem to be comparable. Camtasia has some features I wish Fraps had, but I find Fraps easier to just start and go. Good luck!

I've been watching this thread for several days and been wanting to say something about STARTMOVIE, but I forgot my flak jacket.

There was a thread before this although the title was "How do you record video in srb2 again?" the topic ended up being about "What is the best recorder for srb2?"
Here's the link: https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=33166
I hope it helps you in some way.

@SSNTails: I find the STARTMOVIE method very irritating, it lags a lot since I have to use audacity to record the sounds at the same time. Then when I try to make a video out of the vast amount of PNGs using 'VirtualDub' the pictures are animated too fast and I don't know how to slow it down.
How do you use STARTMOVIE to and create a video?

Another option could be Camtasia Studio. It's a little more pricey than Fraps ($50 compared to $40). I have both programs and they seem to be comparable. Camtasia has some features I wish Fraps had, but I find Fraps easier to just start and go. Good luck!

That's actually what I meant to say instead of BandiCam. I was probably thinking about it at the time when I got to that part.

Brutally honest, Fraps is your best bet. Yes, it lags your PC, it lags EVERYONE'S PCs. Fraps is quite crummy, but sadly, the only choice you really have for quality control. This is from someone who's been a Youtube user for 6 years, and recently got a partnership, Fraps is the low-end of quality recorders, but for SRB2, the cheapest choice. Unless you want to get into external hardware from a company like AverMedia, you're stuck.

Dxtory. It's pretty much Fraps except less bad with more features. The English translation isn't completely spot-on (Japanese-made), but it's still usable and highly customizable.

Theres like fifty of the same topic. Also, you have to make sure your computer would support the video programs. It takes a lot of memory and chances are, if your computer does not support it, Srb2 will lag like crazy. ESPECIALLY, if you are running a net game.

I just remembered i had started this thread and went to look at it.

I read through some things and i have a few things to say now:

I will try fraps again, my friends tell me to start using it again,
I have camtasia, it is good, but it makes games lag.

I will install fraps today, and I will test CamTasia on SRB2.

Thanks

~hitkid61~

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

Dxtory. It's pretty much Fraps except less bad with more features. The English translation isn't completely spot-on (Japanese-made), but it's still usable and highly customizable.

Well, I know you may be helping other people with this post, but, I said in my first post on this topic:
when I use DXTory it stops recording when I go into a different level,

I have a major problem as well when recording SRB2. When I use Camtasia Studio 8 to record it (It keeps showing many colors at start and game corrects them) records random colors that make it un-viewable.

I have a major problem as well when recording SRB2. When I use Camtasia Studio 8 to record it (It keeps showing many colors at start and game corrects them) records random colors that make it un-viewable.

I have that same problem as well, ruined my first Let's Play of Ultimate Doom, ended up downloading the newest version of ZDoom after, now its just a black screen when recording. SRB2 is still the acid trip though.

Is cam studio good for this?

From my experience, Cam Studio didn't work so well with SRB2. You're welcome to try, and I haven't even touched Cam Studio in 2 years so maybe they changed something for the better.

I'd say you should still use fraps, just change your fps settings to 30 and remember to use half-size instead of full-size. Compress it with DivX Plus or something if the file size is too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back