Google about to overthrow every US based ISP ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cue

ALAM STOP BREAKING THE S
http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010...ndex+3+(Top+Stories+2))&utm_content=Google+UK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wusklcNKDZc

1gbps Broadband from Google? From the guys that hate bandwidth throttling and love transparent, no limit internet connections? I'd buy it. Especially since they have the money to not have to charge enough to force people to mortgage their house for this, they have a fighter jet in their back garden, dammit.

Still, considering what I've heard about your connections across the pond, you guys could probably really do with this. Okay so Google might be getting a bit too big, but from the sounds of it, that's not inherently a bad thing. Personally, I'd bow down to Eric Schmidt, Sergey Brin and Lawrence Page as our Lords and Masters of the planet Google Earth if it meant I got 1gbps connection speeds.

(Hi Playah).

Last edited:
I like how the conspiracy theorists have wasted no time equating Google with big brother yet again. This isn't "Google wants to control the world", it's "Google wants to build fiber optic networking infrastructure". That's all. And it's a move I welcome, mainstream adoption of fiber optic networks has been painfully slow because nobody wants to invest in the infrastructure.

We have fibre over here and have had it for quite a while through Virgin Media, though they only offer 50mbit maximum right now, though I do believe they stated they could have dished out 150mbit if their competitors had tried to outdo them.

Bit by bit, I guess.

I think it's more of a running joke for most about taking over the world, Tets, there's only a small group of nutjobs who seriously think Google is trying to take over the world.

Who cares if they're going to take over the world? That just puts them in a better position to give me a the user-friendly search feature I've come to rely on... They even have google searches specifically per website for when the general indexing isn't good enough.
Monopolies in terms of tech can also be forgiven if it becomes a monopoly because it is more effective, and not because it has the right shares in the stock market.

This just makes me like google more than I already do. :)
and it's about time America finally got a super high speed provider.

Last edited:
I like how the conspiracy theorists have wasted no time equating Google with big brother yet again.

The critics right now aren't attacking Google for their upcoming internet service, they're attacking Google because of the whole Buzz incident, and rightfully so. Remember how Facebook changed the privacy defaults on everyone, exposing a lot of information without prior consent or warning? Well, you would think that any sane person in charge of a different social network would want to avoid making that same mistake. Guess what? Google did it too, and it's something they're still recovering from. I began questioning Google's privacy practices starting with their Chrome browser (originally, anything entered into the search/address bar was sent to Google, including the originating IP address, until they changed their privacy policy due to complaints), but this... this just crosses the line.

What is this I don't even

FoxBlitzz, that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand here. I thought it was clear that I was referring explicitly to comments made by people on the news article and Youtube video that Cue posted. I'm not talking about "the critics", and I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.

^Why the hell does everyone have those avatars. (off-topic, but..)

I don't know about "Overthrowing" maybe if this is cheap then maybe. But can't you imagine other companys doing the same thing... or...

If they wanted to do it, they would have done it a long time ago. Google has a lot more expendable income that most companies, since the majority of expenses are server related (or from buying aircraft just because they can).

Tets, what I was trying to get at is that there are many folks (at least, from what I've seen) who are simply unsatisfied with how Google has been behaving recently, myself included. It's not about conspiracy theories, it's about not wanting to do further business with Google. Such a decision is based off of actual incidents that have happened in the past, not speculation.

Personally, I just want Google to change the behavior of other ISPs so that those companies can clean up their act, or perhaps make way for new ISPs to show up with a radically different view as opposed to our current offerings. It's great that Google is improving competition in a market like this one, but I wouldn't sign up with them. Same reason I don't buy from Apple, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back