[NOW UPDATED!] Playable Crawla

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 3 attempts at a playable crawla wad, I have created a super crawla. This red crawla is equipted blue armor plates, an eye on his back and extra decoration. If you view him from the very front, he flips down his protective eye cover. This crawla's ability is float, caused by his engines on his back. (Please note: the eye cover is only visible from the very front).

The story goes like this:
Dr. Eggman wanted to create a minion with the intellegence ability to be able to use strategy and wits to be able to crush sonic and his friends. A simple mindless drone could not cut it. After much research and development, Eggman had created a super crawla with the capability to wipe out Sonic! Gifting him with Jets and armor, and state of the art programming; he released his creation. Perhaps Eggman gave his new creation more intelligence than it needed; the crawla's programming had evolved to the point that it realized it was meant for better things. Going rogue and destroying portions of the Egg Rock; it earned itself a stay in a presumably indestructible laser prison. Well, the prision was not indestructible. Now he fights alongside Sonic as a hired mercenary; defending his strict sense of justice.

New in Version 2.0
1) Crawla has been slowed down
2) Custom white spintrail
3) Flame Jets on spring-jump frames
4) Crawla Commander superframes
5) Custom CTF Flag
6) New Character Selection Pic

Used thing slots and state slots
Thing 318 and State 1792, sorry if this causes any inconvenience.

Attachments

• srb20076.png
    srb20076.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 2,424
  • srb20077.png
    srb20077.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 1,897
  • srb20078.png
    srb20078.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 2,008
  • srb20079.png
    srb20079.png
    17 KB · Views: 1,777
  • PlayableCrawlav2.0.zip
    56.3 KB · Views: 2,301
  • srb20423.png
    srb20423.png
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,990
  • srb20424.png
    srb20424.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,612
  • srb20425.png
    srb20425.png
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,594
Last edited:
Gee, this is so original. I've never seen one of these kinds of wads before. Nice job, just slapping some weird rocket-booster thing that's supposed to look like the quills on Sonic's back.

But yeah, try something more original next time. It's good for a start!

Well that's really helpful criticism now, ain't it? XD

But seriously, I've always wanted to see a good one of these. An original one.

Here's some ideas to improve this, jcoke:

Take away his spindash. It's just kind of weird looking to see that suddenly because the Crawla has a spindash trail behind him, now he can hit things without getting hurt.

This kind of ties into the last one. If it's possible, replace the spindash with a SOCced ability that lets him shoot. I've always wondered why Crawlas have a cannon, but they never use it.

Do something more exciting with his float frames, it looks kind of boring with just the glowing jetbacks. You know, use some flames jets or something.

Slow down his acceleration. Somehow I don't think a tank should be able to accelerate that fast.

And finally, just for fun's sake, make him
orange.jpg

:}

Something like this DOES have the potential to be original, it just needs to go beyond the normal old "playable enemy!" thing.

Crawla's aren't even interesting to look at, they're just balls with wheels...
I personally would've went for something better, like a Motobug, but whatever, it's your choice.

Playing a bit of this, I can't help but wonder who was smoking what when they decided to let this pass. It's just a minor edit of a Crawla with a stupidly overpowered S_SKIN and a hilariously bad character select picture.

I suppose it's because rejected submissions are meant for submissions that either don't work, or break rules, and have zero merit, or effort. I suppose this took a certain amount of effort, and it works without breaking any rules...Perhaps there's one or two people who will find this fun.

If jcokeinfinity is smart, he'll spend more time on this, and make it something cool and unique. So why don't you guys give him the benefit of the doubt and stop immediately bashing it?

Playing a bit of this, I can't help but wonder who was smoking what when they decided to let this pass. It's just a minor edit of a Crawla with a stupidly overpowered S_SKIN and a hilariously bad character select picture.
Every time I read a comment like this, I can't help but wonder what you guys are smoking. One half complains that we trash too much stuff and the other half bitches about every slightly questionable thing that is passed. It's really, really annoying. If something passes, it passes, and unless you somehow find that the submission is unplayable or rule-breaking, you won't change anything about that. If you think something is bad, that's fine enough for you, but that doesn't mean it should have been trashed.

I'm impressed ... ideas peaked.
It is indeed very original ! However, it is not natural. I rarely see Crawls run as fast.
What I think PERSONALLY is :
- Reduce the speed to get him the real crawls. Do not be afraid if it goes very slowly, it is in its nature ...
- Then :
By Charybdizs

And finally, just for fun's sake, make him ORANGE

I totally agree. +1. Except that I see better in yellow or green! (Well, uh ... everyone's tastes.)
Crawls are blue and red, I think we should use different colors!
- Air Action = OK, I do not see what could be better.
- Hmm ... maybe you should change the sprite of the flag. Personally, I think it'll be better if we see his big head (well, he has a big head and tiny body ... enlarge it.)

But it's a good idea, huh! If there will be another version, I'll be there!

Wat.
Who'se Crawlie? What's this offtopicness about?
???
I don't get it.

Crawlie was an old 1.0.9 playable crawla.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

I am planning on having the following updates (please note that some of these include soccing, so time might be an issue)

1) Crawla will be slowed down for a more realistic effect

2) The character selection pic will be changed

3) Crawla will spindash, but while he will do so, he will fire missiles from his cannon

4) Graphics changes may be made (this might include ctf flags and banners, but no guarentees)

5) Float Frames will be more interesting

Requests that will not be granted (sorry)

1) spindash taken away; some levels require spindash to be beaten.

2)color change; this would require a massive amount of time, editing all the frames I currently have. I also have been using paint, so gradienting colors is really hard!

Any other suggestions before I start the update?

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Gee, this really helps me improve upon my idea!

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Nice job, just slapping some weird rocket-booster thing that's supposed to look like the quills on Sonic's back.
I have no idea what you mean by that. They're rocket boosters that in no way, look like sonic's quills.

Someone may have already posted this, but have you considered adding custom sounds into it? The default sounds are very unfitting.

If you can find a good public domain sfx site, yes.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

Here's a sneak peak of crawla's missile weapon
28416922.png
I am also going to attempt to rig the missile to home in on enemies, but no guarentees.

See, if you can manage to do things like that, those things will be the very things that make it so original and interesting.

Oh, and jcoke, what you said about the color changing, you're using MSPaint? That's your mistake right there! XD
Try downloading Gimp or something, you could just select the red area, and use a slider bar to change it all at once. Very useful. If you don't wanna change it though, no problem.

Paint.NET is better than GIMP, but that's just my opinion.

If you're not going to remove the spindash, at least slow it down.
D:

Missles are awesomes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back