Sonic Mania

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mania spurred some internal discussions with us, which basically ended when we realised people weren't going to realise that you could turn Super if it wasn't something you could activate by accident (we can't show a button on-screen because of our rudimentary control remapping...)

Not gonna lie, BS was fun for a SS in S3&K but having to play it to unlock content was a bad design choice. Especially because even in S3&K to get all the emeralds you only had to play 14 of them while to get all the unlockables in mania you need to beat 32. If anything it would be cool if you could unlock things in TT like in SRB2.

BS gets tiring after a while, especially if you're like me and stop at every star post just to get them over with. They should have also made it a little more clear that gold medals are only for the achievement and not to unlock more content. For the past 2 days I thought I had to get perfects to unlock stuff when it turns out you just have to beat them.

Why? It's optional. You could say beating them to unlock SS is the same as beating to unlock content. While I agree it breaks the flow of levels you're never forced to jump into the BS games and it's just you who wants to unlock everything. Which is okay. But that's not really the game's fault when you can ignore it just fine, and the unlockable content is nice stuff like sound test but not necessarily something huge like a new zone that you may feel like you HAVE to unlock.

I sort of think the SS transformation thing is nitpicking (which everything is in a game as good as this, honestly) when the game is short enough that starting a new save without collecting emeralds is just as viable. I mean, did anyone get them all on their first playthrough? Yet I also agree because I played Sonic 2 the other day and it was pretty annoying.

Why? It's optional. You could say beating them to unlock SS is the same as beating to unlock content.

Except we already have special stages for unlocking content, and you have to finish twice as many blue spheres here as you did in in Sonic 3&K to unlock all of it. It's absurd how much the special stages and bonus stages combined break up the pace of the gameplay if you're going for completion. A third of my first playthrough was just me doing blue spheres, not exaggerating.

I mean, did anyone get them all on their first playthrough?

I actually did, but I was playing Tails at the time, and it took me until the third-last zone to get them all.

I recently this early morning or very late last night finally beat the game as Tails. I was shocked at how the final boss was not ridiculously hard. I was very pleased by that. The best part of the game to me are the boss fights. They are very creative boss fights.

The worst part of the game to me are the special stages. They are by far the most hardest and truthfully impossible special stages I have ever encountered. To give you an idea how hard they are for me, it took me several tries to get the third emerald and 20 tries for the fourth emerald. But overall the game was great except the special stages.

I recently this early morning or very late last night finally beat the game as Tails. I was shocked at how the final boss was not ridiculously hard. I was very pleased by that. The best part of the game to me are the boss fights. They are very creative boss fights.

Yeah, the boss fights are pretty legit for the most part -- it really makes me wish we had a boss rush mode as an extra.

For some reason, everyone else is saying the secret final boss was too easy, but it took me like half a dozen lives to kill it. Though I guess I've never been very good at most of the Super Sonic boss formats, so...

The worst part of the game to me are the special stages. They are by far the most hardest and truthfully impossible special stages I have ever encountered. To give you an idea how hard they are for me, it took me several tries to get the third emerald and 20 tries for the fourth emerald. But overall the game was great except the special stages.
That's actually kinda weird to me, because I thought the special stages were pretty easy for the most part. The fourth and fifth emeralds can get kinda ridiculous if you don't have the physics down, but otherwise it's all pretty manageable.

I wouldn't know what tips to give unless I watched you play, but remember to take shortcuts wherever possible, and being in the air too much will slow you down (but also make it easier to turn corners). Also, you don't even need to cap your speed, in my experience it's sometimes better to just tail the UFO once you reach mach 2.

Files for "HYPER" transformation announcements and such were found in game files via hacking. You can blame Izuka for pretty much every bad, shoe horned in decision in Mania. The incredibly disproportionate amount of new zones to old zones, killing hyper transformations which could've allowed for more special stages, and the forced shoe-in of that massively underwhelming ending sequence to connect it to an equally underwhelming 3D hallway simulator coming soon.

Mania's ridiculously good, of course Sega found some way to mess up what little they had a say in... Hopefully Mania 2 has Taxman and co much much more freedom with what they can actually do, the original stuff in Mania was the best part of it hands down.

Also a button to turn off your super transformation sounds like literally the worst idea ever from a design standpoint, the only actually difficulty / commitment involved with being super being controllable at a flick of the switch, why guys, why?

Wait-

You can... untransform?
That sounds pretty fuckin' lame, not gonna lie :(

No, you can't, but people were suggesting it earlier, and we were explaining why that'd be a terrible design decision.

Dedicated transform button is already a huge buff to Super since it lets you control when you want to use shields for protection before turning super, or protect your shields with super invincibility. At this point, the commitment is its only balancing factor.

The transform button was definitely a welcome addition. Super can feel like a cheat sometimes because of how overpowered it is. So, it's nice that they finally let the player choose if they want to use it or not. Running out of rings in the middle of a boss fight is still a nightmare though...

Am I the only one that really gets a kick out of the Mean Bean multiplayer unlockable? I've spent hours playing it with my brother. Weird that my very first Puyo Puyo experience was through a Sonic game...

Not that weird, haha. Perhaps you're unfamiliar with Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine for the Megadrive/Genesis.
Those Maniacs (Developers) who made this Discovery (Game) were just snooPING AS usual.

(References found: Maniacs: The game's name and tagline. Discovery: What Sonic Mania used to be called, "Sonic the Hedgehog - Discovery". (Why they didn't keep that subtitle? I made a mod that restores this thing but no plans to public it yet.) SnooPING AS usual: You know the one.

Last edited:
Those Maniacs (Developers) who made this Discovery (Game) were just snooPING AS usual.

(References found: Maniacs: The game's name and tagline. Discovery: What Sonic Mania used to be called, "Sonic the Hedgehog - Discovery". (Why they didn't keep that subtitle? I made a mod that restores this thing but no plans to public it yet.) SnooPING AS usual: You know the one.

You killed the joke by explaining it :^

Not that weird, haha. Perhaps you're unfamiliar with Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine for the Megadrive/Genesis.
Wow, so that was also a reference to a previous game... The guys who made Mania truly are huge fans of classic Sonic. The number of references they managed to fit in here is ridiculous. From obvious things like Bark, Bean and Fang making an appearance in that one boss battle to the little Sky Chase moment that can be heard in Mirage Saloon Zone 1 's music.

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW2-LDspdBY
0:55 for those who didn't notice.

Taxman (Christian Whitehead) is great! i love this game, and this game is a proof that sometimes the fans can be superior than the same company! a master-piece

While I agree with you, but SEGA hired those people while they work on Sonic Forces. Saying that fans are better than the original Company annoys me, I know you didn't mean it like that; but still.

I may as well say this, I am annoyed by the fact that they patched the glitches of you accessing Sonic and Knuckles' respective GHZ Act 1, but it was for a good cause. Also, I can't get into the level select since the patch released days ago, I was able to press A and B (Yes, it's the Switch version.) at the same time but it just sent me to the Main Menu instead, this happened since the patch came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back